Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$9756 worth of damage before it is even torn apart. I only paid $11,998 for it, it has frame damage, but they are not totaling it. After It is fixed should I sell it right off? Do I have any recourse? I really dont want this car after all it has been through, and with all the damage. What should I do? Any suggestions? thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am lucky enough that insurance is covering the whole thing, I just really dont want a previously wrecked car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
very true. That just sucks, that someone else runs into you and it ends up costing you a ton of money. I guess i will just drive it into the ground and hope that no other collateral damage shows up later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news, kind of. Just dropped it off at the repair shop, and they told me that according to md law I am within 400 bucks of a total. So Once they open it up, they said it should be totaled. They also said that the insurance adjuster forgot to add a bumper bracket. I should hear something within a week. Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice guys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would feel the same way. I wouldn't want it after it was wrecked and repaired. That shop will find $400 easily in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My previous car got rear-ended a year and a half ago when I was exiting the highway. My damage wasn't anywhere near as severe as yours, and the car was still driveable. The other driver's insurance company came to me and gave me an estimate. I had already gone to a body shop and got another estimate as a sanity check (which was actually a few dollars less than the insurance estimate). The insurance company wrote me a check and didn't care whether I got the work done or not. So, I kept the money, drove the car for a few more months, and then sold it after ordering my new CR-V. The car had been in pristine condition before the accident, so I didn't receive what it would have been worth before the accident, but I usually sell to friends or relatives at below market price anyway.

Long story, short: If you can, I would get at least two estimates for the full amount needed for repairs and have the insurance company write you a check. Then, I would either try to sell it "as is", or fix it just enough so it is road worthy, then sell it and use the proceeds and remaining insurance money to help buy a new car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good news, kind of. Just dropped it off at the repair shop, and they told me that according to md law I am within 400 bucks of a total. So Once they open it up, they said it should be totaled. They also said that the insurance adjuster forgot to add a bumper bracket. I should hear something within a week. Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice guys.
Just Hit it with a baseball bat a couple of times:D

fix it just enough so it is road worthy,
The V's repairs would be a lot cheaper if you tell them to get it in a safe and running condition instead of pristine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have the dealer body shop do the estimate with OEM Honda parts! lol There will surely be well over the original estimate worth of repairs. OEM parts are more expensive than aftermarket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
dont accept anything other than factory original parts . meaning new, no used parts . also tell them if they do fix the vehicle . you want a check for loss of value on the vehicle . once again . u did not cause the accident . if they try to give u any trouble over it .. tell them to just replace the vehicle . same model,year, mileage , etc .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Insurance 'stuff'

One thing I learned the 'hard' way but I do really appreciate the concept. In Europe (at least in Germany) if your vehicle is damaged by someone else you get the cost to repair plus an amount for 'depreciation' acknowledging that repairs do not right all the issues caused. My 1995 Accord was hit between the driver's front and rear door. Repairs were amazing but the title was noted as having had a major accident so resale value went down fast -- still have the car on the road.
I had a Volvo 240 Wagon that was totaled in the US. I kept the car as the issue was the rear door would not fully close. But for what the insurance would cover I could not get into any decent vehicle. So I sealed the rear with plastic and screwed it closed -- passed safety inspection,and saved the insurance claim to make a down payment on a new car -- but payments were still more than I wanted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just Hit it with a baseball bat a couple of times:D

The V's repairs would be a lot cheaper if you tell them to get it in a safe and running condition instead of pristine.
True, but I bought it pristine 3 weeks ago, and I want it pristine again if they are to fix it. They are only using honda parts, and no used parts. I told my adjuster that, and his print out reflects that. I had a car fixed with aftermarket body panels before and they just didnt line up right. OEM is the only way to go. As far as diminished value, I have looked into that as well. There are only a few states where that is law Georgia and kansas being the main two. What my insurance company is doing, is doing the fix or total now, so i can get back on teh road, then suing the other insurance company for fault. If they win, then I can claim diminished value, as well as get the tax back from my daily rental car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didn't even involve my insurance company when I got hit...I just called the insurance company of the guy who hit me. I know the laws and insurance companies are not the same everywhere, but it seems like the best scenario would be for the estimate to be almost, but not quite, to the point where they would "total" it. Then, you get a check for the amount the repairs would cost, PLUS you get to keep and sell the car. If they total it, you get a check for what will probably be much less than what the car was worth, and THEY keep the car (or you buy it back from them). Sounds like the GAP insurance might make things right for you if they total it, though. I don't know much about that.

If you're having to use a rental car while your V is in the shop, make sure the other guy's insurance company pays for that too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that is what GAP insurance is. Lets say I owe 15,000 on the car, and they give me 10,000 I am off the hook for that other 5 grand. I am amazed at how many people dont get GAP insurance. Through Navy Federal it only added a total of $249 bucks to the loan. Also here, the insurance company makes out a check to the body shop not to me. They used to. I had my old chevy s 10 totalled 3 times, bought it back all 3 times. I was run into by a bus, a dump truck, and a tree. It actually paid for the car and then some. It still sits in my driveway with a spray painted hood. That is the only car in history that I think was truly an investment for a daily driver.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my old chevy s 10 totalled 3 times, bought it back all 3 times. I was run into by a bus, a dump truck, and a tree. It actually paid for the car and then some. It still sits in my driveway with a spray painted hood.
Are the words "HIT ME!!!" spray painted onto it, or do you just have incredibly bad luck?! Man! Give us fair warning when you're on the road!

I'm glad you survived all of your accidents. By the way, how do you get run into by a tree? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts