Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if it's worth the money to get an extended service contract, and/ or extended warranty. Thank-you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I never purchased the extended warranty until the vehicles began coming loaded with all the new high-tech wizardry. Honda's mechanical reliability is generally above average and I've not had any major issues. But when we recently purchased our new '15 Pilot I started looking at the computer screen, backup camera etc and figured all it would take is one repair and I'd break even. I got 7 years / 120k miles 0 deductible for around $1000 and if nothing else I sleep a bit better knowing that I won't have any major financial trauma while I'm paying it off and then some (we buy new and drive them into the dirt). Any insurance is pretty much a scam... It's more piece of mind than anything else. But for me I want to guarantee that while I have a car payment in my budget that I don't have something come up that puts me in a tight spot.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Never have......but if u want 1...do a search on here as there are a few Honda dealers that sell the HondaCare warranty package for less than what most dealers charge....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Buy the car and buy a CD for 3 years for 2k. You have up to 3 years to decide if you want more warranty and you have a safety net should you need it. 5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty should also be more than needed.

The important stuff almost always breaks immediately. Be aware that dealers HATE DOING WARRANTY WORK. They have a reduced rate for hourly billing / type of warranty with Honda and make much more money arguing and convincing you are to blame.

Do your own fluids, all Honda and Acura cars are very sensitive to proper fluids and love frequent replenishments. Keep your receipts and keep a log in the glove box and use the Honda Owners Site online (it's free) to log maintenance type and event details.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Put the money in a savings account, and if you didn’t need it (cause it’s a Honda), you’ve given yourself a nice amount of change in your pocket instead of the dealers pocket. If you do need it for repairs it’s there, if not it’s all yours.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Extended Service Contract is like a security blanket. It will make you feel warm and fuzzy while you are happily driving your new vehicle. It IS an insurance policy. Like ALL insurance policies, you are betting that you will use the terms of the policy and the company is betting you will not. After the original factory warranty expires on your new wheels without an extended service contract you are on your own. Do you have enough funds to self insure any repairs your vehicle may require? If not, perhaps the costs of the extended service contract to your new car loan should be considered. The reality is just one item requiring repair on your new vehicle may cost as much or more than what the extended service contract will cost. The extended service contracts have varied mileage and years and deductibles available to choose from. The question is, do you want to assume the possible financial risk for potential repairs or pay an insurance company to assume the risks? Yes, it is a roll of the dice. If we only had a magic ball to foresee the future.......... .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick question, do you have to get all the services at Honda in order to have the extended warranty valid? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Good question. I’d love to hear responses on this one.

My take, no. Reason, because you don’t have to get the service done at Honda for the regular warranty.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
No. You may go anywhere. Even do-it-yourself. Just keep records of dates, mileage, service performed and by whom, and receipts would be good too. I cannot name chapter and verse but there is a law that states that maintenance does not have to be done by the manufacturers dealer to keep the warranty valid. I'm sure someone else on this forum can be more specific.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got the HondaCare package and as stated above there are no stipulations on who provides the service (even diy) provided that they are performed according to the service schedule and you have proper documentation. It's the same as the stock warranty. One reason I preferred the HondaCare over 3rd party packages is that it guarantees genuine Honda parts for repairs. We've had to use it for silly things (door latches, power window issue) and I never got any resistance from the dealer in terms of them trying to get out of the work or additional diagnostic fees.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is the extended service contract the same as buying the maintenance package? I basically paid $1500 for 5 years of maintenance service which, at that time, there was a special to have free tire replacements as well if I did all the maintenance there. I think that was worth it since I drive like 25-35k a year....

·
Registered
252 Posts
The service contract and maintenance package are two different things. The service contract is just an extended warranty, but you are still responsible and must pay for regular preventative maintenance. I saw the maintenance package and almost went for it because it seemed to imply that brake service was included, but when I inquired I was informed that was just their caliper lube job kind of thing and not actually pads or discs, so I skipped it. For the mileage you drive it may work out to your advantage in comparison to "normal" dealer service pricing. As for the tire replacements, I've never had luck with that kind of thing because the manufacturers perception of useful life and my own were two different things - I tried to claim prorated warranty on tire life once; they basically said my bald tires were still good, but I'd never let my wife drive around in the rain with what they thought was fine. Hopefully you fare better in that regard, in which case that package would be a great deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts