Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or rather the question is, can it be done at a lower cost than replacing the starter?

The last couple years I have discovered that my 2000 CRV starter motor doesn't like really cold winter weather. It works fine when temperatures are 30F and higher, no problems at all.

But when it's really cold out, like 10 F or colder, the starter motor makes a wobbly shriek which I have come to associate with dry sleeve bearings. It always starts the engine fine, but as the starter motor coasts to a stop, it goes SPZZZZ due to the axle wobbling around at high speed in the dry sleeve. It never does this at the dealer of course, since they work on stuff indoors where everything is warm.

This fall it did this shriek/vibration at about 40F which suggests it is getting worse. Having the starter suddenly seize would be Really Bad, especially walking out to the car on a cold winter night, after buildings are closed.

Looking on Honda e-store, a remanufactured starter is $590 and a new one is $1230. Yipe.

But I am not a home auto mechanic so any disassembly and lubricating would have to be done by the dealer.

At their rates, I would bet having them take the starter apart just to regrease the parts will probably end up costing that $590, or more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would think any independent shop could give you a rebuilt starter for less.

You didn't say where you are located, but the PepBoys website shows $114 for a rebuilt starter for your model. Add labor, etc. and I would think a local shop should be able to do it for less than $300.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts