Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used 2011 Honda CR-V few weeks ago, and this is the first Honda I've ever owned. Yesterday, we had our first heavy snowfall in New York, so on the way home from work, I used the defroster. As I left my car, I noticed this puddle under the car:

photo.jpg

My question is the following: Is this the location where condensation would drip if I had run my defroster? This is slightly behind the two front wheels of the car, and in the middle of the car but slightly more to the left of it (left of it if you're looking at the car from the front).

Also, later yesterday after using the car and defroster again, I had the same puddle in the same location BUT also an additional puddle in front of the one in the photo (so, I had two in total).

Also, both puddles appear to be clear when I wiped it with a paper towel. Unfortunately, it was dark out last night when I had the two puddles, so I couldn't take a photo.

Is it wise to assume BOTH puddles are condensation from the defroster?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
From the description of where the puddles are located I'd say you're correct in assuming it's condensation. We get the same thing when we park in the garage after running the A/C, or where ever we happen to park the car.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I see one puddle under my 2014 CRV due to drainage from the A/C evaporator. I don't know why there would be two separate ones. Has the vehicle been driven through water/rain/car wash just prior?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We frequently get two puddles in the garage. If it's fairly humid out I think there's just too much condensation for it to all drip from the same location off the belly pan.
I think if the OP keeps an eye on his coolant recovery tank for a while as he gets to know his car he'll be golden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Color can be tricky to detect, but coolant feels oily to the touch. It also takes much longer than water to evaporate.

Also, both puddles appear to be clear when I wiped it with a paper towel. Unfortunately, it was dark out last night when I had the two puddles, so I couldn't take a photo.

Is it wise to assume BOTH puddles are condensation from the defroster?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm having the same issue and was also hoping it is condensation. But does this happen the whole time the engine is running, and just noticed when it is parked? Mine is doing it while the car sits with engine at idle, before being driven. I was checking some things under there and don't know how soon it started doing it. I turned off the AC, kept observing the drips coming down, then turned off the engine and it stopped after a few minutes. From the location, it sounds like what everyone is talking about here. I don't think it is coolant.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Condensation will be present as long as the AC is running, this also happens when you set the defrosters on. The vehicles does not have to be moving for the condensation to be running out the bottom of the car. The other problem that can occur is if the drains are clogged, then the condensation will most likely come out on the passenger side of the car and onto the carpets. I rather it go onto the ground.

If you are not sure what the drip is, catch it onto a plastic sheet or tray. You will then be able to tell if it is water or coolant or transmission fluid or steering fluid etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks. I think it is condensation. The location is exactly where people describe, and it doesn't feel, look, or smell like anything but water. I'll keep an eye on the passenger side floor.... I wouldn't have known about that. And I'll pay closer attention to the fluids you mentioned, just in case. I appreciate your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts