Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Our registration says "space station wagon" which translates to minivan. It needs to have a user controllable four wheel drive to classify as a truck.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
To answer the original question: YES. ?

In the USA, the comparable VW Tiguan has standard 3rd row seats if it is FWD, while the AWD variants don't. Weird...but US companies have been playing that game for years. (Look at minivans...are they TRUCKS?)
Which trims come with 7-passenger seating standard?

Technically all trims come with 7-passenger seating standard. That includes the Tiguan S, the Tiguan SE, the Tiguan SEL and the Tiguan SEL Premium. All of these trims also come standard with FWD. The major difference occurs when you upgrade from FWD to 4MOTION庐 AWD.

If you opt for a 2018 Tiguan with 4MOTION庐 all-wheel drive, then you get 5-passenger seating. When you add 4MOTION庐, you also get access to a special option package aptly named the 3rd-Row Package. This package adds back in your third row on 4MOTION庐-equipped Tiguan models for just $500 added to the MSRP.

Registered
2006 CR-V LX
Inquired at the junkyard for the price of a particular part. One price for cars, a higher price for trucks. They classify the CR-V as a "truck", which means I have to pay more for certain parts. I don't see how this vehicle is a truck, but whatever.

Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
Interesting info. For me, it's just a large passenger vehicle. I made a point of not getting the AWD, just don't need it. Now I'm learning insurance wise that was a benefit also.

Aren't trucks suppose to be heavy duty vehicles? The cr-v seems much more like a car than a truck, in that regard. There's no part of it I'd call 'Heavy Duty' in any way?

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
There's no part of it I'd call 'Heavy Duty' in any way?
Compared to it's 1990s origins (the Civic) they ARE 'heavy-duty'. 馃え

Reactions: Azitlies

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Inquired at the junkyard for the price of a particular part. One price for cars, a higher price for trucks. They classify the CR-V as a "truck", which means I have to pay more for certain parts. I don't see how this vehicle is a truck, but whatever.
They are simply playing you with that game on pricing. Why? Because they can... their business.. they can charge whatever they like and as long as people pay.. they win.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
The correct answer is -----> it depends on the vehicle codes and laws in your state.

I don't know about other states, provinces, or nations... but in California it is classified as an automobile. If it was classified as a truck in California or simply "commercial vehicle", then it requires "commercial license plates" which are more expensive than regular auto plates. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/registration-fees/vehicle-definitions/

Now.. get this... in California.. the really big SUVs like Suburbans, etc.... that weigh over 6000lbs curb weight... are illegal to drive on residential streets... because of the commercial vehicle weight restrictions in California vehicle code for residential streets. I don't think many owners know this, and I doubt it is enforced... but.. it could be if a cop wants to pull you over for it and ticket you. But like so many things in life.. there IS an upside to these big SUVs. Any vehicle over 6000lbs curb weight in the US qualifies for a big federal tax break.... BUT.. they are also classified as trucks too. You don't get to have it both ways on this... you get the tax break, but only if you accept that the huge SUV is a truck.

My point in sharing this piece of trivia is ----> check your local vehicle codes and laws to understand how your vehicle is classified, and what restrictions may be on the books for your particular vehicle.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
get this... in California.. the really big SUVs like Suburbans, etc.... that weigh over 6000lbs curb weight... are illegal to drive on residential streets.
ISTR that some Rolls Royce cars weighed more than 6000 lbs. That made them exempt from some MPG regulations. LOL

Found it:
The heaviest current production car is ... the Rolls-Royce Phantom which weighs in at an astounding 6,052 lbs.

Reactions: williamsji

Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
I believe Honda classifies them as a "multi-purpose passenger vehicle," whatever that means. My California registration says UT under vehicle type, which I take to mean utility, as in sport-utility or light truck.

I think it falls somewhere in the middle. It is definitely more of a truck then I would consider a Civic to be, and probably as much of a truck as some other truck-based SUVs, like the Ford Explorer or Chevy Blazer from the 90s, if you count passenger and cargo carrying ability, and not engine power or towing capacity. A CR-V is definitely more of a car than a full size pickup is though, and definitely a safer vehicle than anything I would consider to be a truck.

There was a previous thread about this, in which a couple of people got really angry about their states classify their CR-Vs as a "station wagon," which is probably an equally good description to anything else.

Honestly, you should just call your CR-V whatever you want to think it is. Your description of your car is probably better for you than someone else's description of your car.

Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
New York State classifies mine as a suburban.........................
I also have a Ridgeline that is classified as a TRUCK tho some "know it alls " will argue that. LOL

Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
Lochinvar said:
It is definitely more of a truck then I would consider a Civic to be
Ya its also more of a truck than my 5-year-old cousin's plastic barbie jeep, whats your point? 馃槀

Lochinvar said:
and probably as much of a truck as some other truck-based SUVs, like the Ford Explorer or Chevy Blazer from the 90s, if you count passenger and cargo carrying ability, and not engine power or towing capacity
Oh god no, clearly you've never owned anything else. Trucks are not trucks because of "passenger and cargo carrying ability". Real trucks are an entirely different animal front to back. I would not even classify the ones you mentioned (Explorer and Blazer) as "real trucks". A truck has a bed and massively larger towing capacity for a minimum start. Doesn't have to be 4x4 to be a truck but it does need to be designed and intended to haul or pull thousands of pounds (in my book).

VIVADUDE said:
I also have a Ridgeline that is classified as a TRUCK tho some "know it alls " will argue that. LOL
馃榿

Registered
Most carmakers are using awd/4wd as an excuse to make the vehicle a truck for CAFE measurements.
It is a joke. All new CR-V's are built on the Civic chassis. Thus they are all just plain cars built as a station wagon.
SUV is just a marketing term for station wagon created by both AMC for the Hornet AWD and Subaru for AWD Legacy wagon now renamed Outback.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts