Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2007 with 80,000 miles and have changed differential fluid (Dual Pump) at least every 17,000 miles, usually sooner. Most of the time I've done the two-fluid changes at one time and carefully burnished the clutch plates -- I've done the burnishing two different ways....holding one wheel, and then the other while the vehicle is raised and in gear; and, alternatively, turning in 10 tight circles in either direction.

I recently took the Honda dealer up on a coupon offer for them to change it. I could tell immediately that there still was some of the same problem, which I'll detail in a moment, that I have noticed since the beginning, and now just three weeks later it's already back to full-time bad. I don't hear grinding or anything. My problem is that in some turns, especially ones coming off interstate ramps that curve around for a long run, the steering wheel periodically jerks back in the other direction, trying to take it out of the turn.

I figure the differential is just trouble. I'm wondering two things: is the problem likely to soon get a lot worse; and what does it cost to replace the whole differential, or maybe just its internal workings?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What differential are you referring to? The front does not use Dual pump fluid, the rear does but it has no impact on the steering trying to pull it out of a turn.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would be surprised if this is a rear diff problem at all. When you say you have noticed the problem since the beginning, do you mean since new? When the diff needs new oil it grinds or groans in tight turns. The rear diff is not likely to cause the car to pull out of a turn. It may shudder, grumble, groan or grind, but it has little effect on steering. VSA will make changes that can effect the steering. Have you ever noticed the VSA light flash? When you had Honda change the fluid was the problem bad before they changed it, and did the change make it better for a while?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I think he is confused and thinks he's driving a Ford Escape! :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still waiting for someone who knows

......to respond who knows that this differential is ALL ABOUT, when necessary, having the various wheels turn at different speeds to adjust for slips and slides on the roads. If you don't think the unburnished clutch plates grabbing and holding at the wrong times can cause the steering to jerk, then please go pretend to competency on someone else's post.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
To respond to someone who is clueless about vehicle safety systems, try going to Honda to see their take on the VSA;
"Honda and Acura vehicles achieve excellent handling and stability based on the fundamental design of our vehicles. Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control (standard on all models starting in 2012) enhances handling stability and predictability especially in poor traction conditions (rain, snow, ice), to help you maintain control during understeer and oversteer situations. With minimal intrusion to the driving experience, many drivers may not even notice when VSA® is working.''
This is far from a jerking sensation when taking a long sweeping curve.

I had a 07, changed the rear diff fluid after each winter regardless of mileage, sold said vehicle with 85k mi., the clutches were never burnished. Never did this vehicle jerk the wheels in the opposite direction I was turning. If you have ever had a rear wheel brake grab, you would know the rear of the vehicle will want to come around, not the front.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You have obviously isolated and diagnosed the problem, go see your Honda dealer and pay them $2000+ to replace the rear differential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts