Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is the left pipe a dummy just for aesthetics? If it is functional, does anyone know if it lends itself to slightly better performance? :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
EX-L in US also has dual exhaust. Not sure about EX. Single pipe from exhaust manifold splits to two mufflers at rear of vehicle. I am not sure about performance improvements.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
image.jpeg

2017 CRV Touring image.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The exhaust system is pretty much the same for all of the 1.5 Turbo models (EX and up) with the dual rear mufflers / exhaust pipes. The Touring just has a different bumper and exhaust tips so that you can see them sticking out instead of being tucked up under the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It's done for looks. An engine with such a small displacement (even turbocharged) would have been just fine with a single pipe of decent size.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacement; with modern stainless-steel alloys, the days of having to replace your muffler and/or exhaust pipes every few years are gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The benefit is buying a 2nd muffler every 5 yrs, bleh.
Wasn't logged in and saw this post. For those who haven't already, it's best to hide posts from this troll by adding it to your ignore list. Simply click on its name/handle in its post, click View Profile, then click Add to Ignore List. Confirm by clicking yes and viola, no more ulieq (at least while you are logged in). You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wasn't logged in and saw this post. For those who haven't already, it's best to hide posts from this troll by adding it to your ignore list. Simply click on its name/handle in its post, click View Profile, then click Add to Ignore List. Confirm by clicking yes and viola, no more ulieq (at least while you are logged in). You'll be glad you did.
ULIEQ is the only one on my ignore list. He has 121 posts and every one of them negative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm doing that now. Not sure why, but that account seems extremely uninformed and inaccurate. By the way ... my 2007 CR-V with 172,000 miles is still going strong on the original exhaust (and in Massachusetts even).

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's done for looks. An engine with such a small displacement (even turbocharged) would have been just fine with a single pipe of decent size.
IMHO I doubt Honda would have added the 2nd muffler just for looks, it can't be seen anyway. I'll bet the reduced back pressure resulted in a performance gain for 1.5T or they would have nixed the additional weight and cost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only time you get a real gain is on an exhaust system that comes off a vehicle with more than one exhaust manifold (V-6 or V-8) and then it must go from the engine to the outlet. 4 cylinder cars and straight 6 cylinder cars only have one exhaust manifold so there is no gain. Sorry, it's strictly for looks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
IMHO I doubt Honda would have added the 2nd muffler just for looks, it can't be seen anyway. I'll bet the reduced back pressure resulted in a performance gain for 1.5T or they would have nixed the additional weight and cost.
There's only a single pipe that comes out of the engine and passes under the car; it only becomes a "dual exhaust" when it hits a junction underneath the trunk. And if you remember your geometry, the cross-section of a pipe (or muffler) increases with the square of its diameter; a slightly larger pipe (and perhaps muffler) would have provided the same additional exhaust capacity.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There's only a single pipe that comes out of the engine and passes under the car; it only becomes a "dual exhaust" when it hits a junction underneath the trunk. And if you remember your geometry, the cross-section of a pipe (or muffler) increases with the square of its diameter; a slightly larger pipe (and perhaps muffler) would have provided the same additional exhaust capacity.
Makes sense. But what doesn't is why Honda added a 2nd muffler when splitting a pipe/exhaust tip off a single one would have accomplished the same thing. Particularly for the non Touring models where the exhaust tips are barely visible. Honda's never been known for over-engineering like German manufacturers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would like to know how hard would it be to make the exl look like the touring with two muffler chrome tip. I know you can buy the aftermarket but they would look as if they are pointing down and not straight. I look at the muffler tip on the exl and it looks like you can cut it right before it turns downward.

Can we replace the bottom bumper piece and get the one with the two cutouts and then weld the chrome tips to make it look like the touring from the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The benefit is buying a 2nd muffler every 5 yrs, bleh.
The last muffler shop in my small town closed down this winter. Seems these stainless steel exhaust pipes and mufflers just don't go bad any more. Fact is I have not put a muffler on any of my vehicles since the late 1980's. Must be something toxic about you if your mufflers are going bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts