Is the RD1 a “classic”?

• Nope. It’s the choice of a new, broke generation

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to British Columbia next year. ICBC has an insurance category for “classic” cars. Must be 25 years old, good paint, no rust, original engine and good interior.

The 97 RD1’s will be 25 years old next year! 🥳
My 99 will be 25 years old in 2024. Does that make it a classic? If I could get it insured that way it would be great! Cheap insurance only for pleasure use. That would mean I could keep it around even if we got another car (like an electric)

Any BC residents have experience with ICBC on this with other cars? I’m wondering if they would say it’s too common I.e. not classic enough. VW bugs were as common as…well bugs when they were new. People had them because they were cheap and good. Now they’re classics. Why not RD1’s, which we can all agree have a great style.

I would have to fix the rust on the wheel wells and a small dent, a small rust spot on the A pillar. I’m not sure if it’s worth the expense and if ICBC would just reject it. Actually it has low km’s (227k) and I’d like to keep it on the road as long as possible.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
As an owner of TWO 'classic' sports cars, I can tell you that Collector Car Insurance usually comes with restrictions

IE,
a yearly mileage limitation
can't drive to your job
should not park in a mall lot (can't use for shopping)

SO, read the policy carefully and make sure it is workable for you.

I'll defer to others for specifics of BC regulations.

Here in NJ, cars with "QQ Plates" (antique/classics) are only approved to be driven to car meets or the mechanic's shop.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As an owner of TWO 'classic' sports cars, I can tell you that Collector Car Insurance usually comes with restrictions

IE,
a yearly mileage limitation
can't drive to your job
should not park in a mall lot (can't use for shopping)

SO, read the policy carefully and make sure it is workable for you.

I'll defer to others for specifics of BC regulations.

Here in NJ, cars with "QQ Plates" (antique/classics) are only approved to be driven to car meets or the mechanic's shop.
The restrictions are the same in Alberta but not so in BC. I’m just doubtful they’d approve a CRV, especially my somewhat beat up CRV….
I’d have to invest in some body and paint work first.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they have a Hot Rod or Street Rod registration in BC?

Many Hot Rods/restomods here have that weather-beaten, primered 'patina'.
It's a 'look'. :giggle:
No idea. I just know they seem pretty specific about “classic” acceptance. I used to have a ‘69 VW van and had is insured as a motor home in BC 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts