Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if it's really worth considering the more expensive Touring model vs the EX-L (which really has all the features I need). Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Of course it's better. It has an additional speaker and more watts. That means it's better. That's why it costs more. Give them your money!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious if it's really worth considering the more expensive Touring model vs the EX-L (which really has all the features I need). Thanks!
Sounds like you answered your own question. The touring does have other features such as built in Navigation, wireless charging, larger 19 inch wheels, led headlamps,rear cross traffic alert etc. In Canada it has the large panoramic sunroof that was worth the price of admission for my wife. No sense paying for features you don’t want.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A smart consumer does not buy the Touring trim for the stereo upgrade. It is after all a boxy SUV which no matter how much noise dampening and noise cancellation technology Honda uses... you are still going to have road noise interfere with stereo fidelity. That said... the subwoofer works really well in the gen5 CRV and is a definite plus on the Touring Trim.

THE REASON you buy the Touring trim is for all the other features exclusive to it (note these are for 2020, so some do not apply in earlier years of the gen5 touring):
  • Hands-Free Access Power Tailgate
  • Wireless Phone Charger*
  • 19-Inch Alloy Wheels
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off
  • Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™*
  • Turn-By-Turn Directions
  • Roof Rails
  • 330-Watt Premium Audio System with 9 Speakers
  • Dual Chrome Exhaust Finishers
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
The difference in price between EX-L and Touring is pretty modest for adding the above features to be honest. As others have noted.. Touring trim was worth it just for the LED headlights for me personally.. and everything else on top of that is gravy. I do like having a native NAV system in my Touring and it works quite well and comes with free updates for 5 years. Rain sensing wipers are also very nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You wrote that the EX-L has all the features you need -- Personally I bought the AWD Touring. Extra stuff that cost money -- but I will also get a higher selling price or trade in value when I change vehicles. I believe that extras on the vehicle hold value and the cost for what I want is not in question. Buy what you want or can afford. Don't buy chocolate if you like and want vanilla !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Prepare to upgrade the equipment later. My 2017 Touring has a lousy sound system which I am preparing to upgrade with all new speakers soon. The car needs much better sound insulation and speakers which aren't bargain basement (I'm told they're by Mitusibishi - yuk). I'd replace the whole thing but don't want headaches with interfaces for HVAC etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have to ask, then you don’t need to Touring.

For navigation, the EX-L supports CarPlay and Android Auto, so just use an app.

For headlights, you can easily add aftermarket LED bulbs that work fine for a much lower price.

For the sound system, this is a vehicle that will be moving all the time. There’s no point in getting a high-end sound system as it will always be affected by the road noise.

For ambient lighting, you can easily get kits for $20 to add some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Granted it's not a fair comparison but I went from a 2012 EXL to a 2018 Touring and the stereo in the Touring is just fantastic.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you have to ask, then you don’t need to Touring.

For navigation, the EX-L supports CarPlay and Android Auto, so just use an app.

For headlights, you can easily add aftermarket LED bulbs that work fine for a much lower price.

For the sound system, this is a vehicle that will be moving all the time. There’s no point in getting a high-end sound system as it will always be affected by the road noise.

For ambient lighting, you can easily get kits for $20 to add some.
Aftermarket LED headlight bulbs, even where legal, are notably inferior to the LED Headlight array in the current Touring trim level. Other then the actual kelvin temperature improvement, you get no other benefits in terms of the superior light array spread in a Touring Headlight.

Hopefully, in future generation CRVs... the LED headlight array become standard equipment on all trim levels. It provides much improved lighting and safety in the dark.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Prepare to upgrade the equipment later. My 2017 Touring has a lousy sound system which I am preparing to upgrade with all new speakers soon. The car needs much better sound insulation and speakers which aren't bargain basement (I'm told they're by Mitusibishi - yuk). I'd replace the whole thing but don't want headaches with interfaces for HVAC etc.
As with tires.. so it is with sound systems...... "YMMV" and one person's "lousy" is another persons "quite fine actually".

Besides.. the context here is sound system quality EX-L vs Touring. ;)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Does the extra speaker and powered sub-woofer make it poorer sounding?
Stock sound adjustment settings from the factory, the Touring sound system does not standout really.

BUT spend some quality time initially to adjust the array of different sound settings available on the sound system (just like any other sound system of any quality really) and you will find it sounds much better... for two reasons: 1) you set it for your particular sound and fidelity preferences. 2) you moved off of the factory default settings... which are basically plain vanilla and unremarkable).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts