Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
And Google Maps gets more updates and more traffic data.

But you have to remember the CRV demographic. Boomers.
Traffic data = ZERO when there is no cellular data service though.

You may have the maps downloaded in anticipation of loss of cell data in some locations, but most owners find they lose the cell data access first.. then wish they actually had downloaded the maps...

...but are SoL on traffic data regardless.

Real GPS nav appliances are never limited by a data source.... at least until North Korea detonates a low earth orbit nuclear device.. in which case.. every electronic appliance, and data source... most especially cell phones are completely destroyed by the EMP pulse.

Smart phone nav is fine if you are in an urban area.... or on a main interstate.. but venture much out of these areas.... and cell coverage can often be spotty.. even in 2020... OR expensive if you are forced to go off your cell network and on to another due to high roaming rate charges between providers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How often do you use the car Nav system and get a "Not On A Digitized Road" indication? I live in an area with about 1/2 a million people, I get it quite a bit, and I'm not out in the boonies, maybe 20 mi from the center of town. And no, it's NOT new development.

So how do you think it's going to go when you really are in the boonies? I'll take google maps over any other any day. It's not that difficult to remember to download a map if yer gonna be out in the boonies. And, if yer gonna be out there, do you really care about traffic? Lol, maybe you'll run into a cow?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Traffic data = ZERO when there is no cellular data service though.

You may have the maps downloaded in anticipation of loss of cell data in some locations, but most owners find they lose the cell data access first.. then wish they actually had downloaded the maps...

...but are SoL on traffic data regardless.

Real GPS nav appliances are never limited by a data source.... at least until North Korea detonates a low earth orbit nuclear device.. in which case.. every electronic appliance, and data source... most especially cell phones are completely destroyed by the EMP pulse.

Smart phone nav is fine if you are in an urban area.... or on a main interstate.. but venture much out of these areas.... and cell coverage can often be spotty.. even in 2020... OR expensive if you are forced to go off your cell network and on to another due to high roaming rate charges between providers.
Can I guess your age old timer? I used to think you could be in the 55 year old range, but now I'm shading that number upwards.

EMP pulse? What is this? A Republican Presidential debate? That's straight out of the Ben Carson book "Things to be scared of that don't exist".

I loaded the entire Yucatan Peninsula on my phone. Not one single issue and that was basically a third world country.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
How often do you use the car Nav system and get a "Not On A Digitized Road" indication? I live in an area with about 1/2 a million people, I get it quite a bit, and I'm not out in the boonies, maybe 20 mi from the center of town. And no, it's NOT new development.

So how do you think it's going to go when you really are in the boonies? I'll take google maps over any other any day. It's not that difficult to remember to download a map if yer gonna be out in the boonies. And, if yer gonna be out there, do you really care about traffic? Lol, maybe you'll run into a cow?
Even if you are going in and out of reception, Google Maps still catches up and downloads data ahead. There are very few cases inside of the U.S. where loses cell reception is an issue.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Even if you are going in and out of reception, Google Maps still catches up and downloads data ahead. There are very few cases inside of the U.S. where loses cell reception is an issue.
You obviously never get out of an urban area.

Example: AT&T proudly proclaims they cover 90 percent of AMERICANS, not America.

Try going to Iowa and see how well your AT&T cell phone works.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You obviously never get out of an urban area.

Example: AT&T proudly proclaims they cover 90 percent of AMERICANS, not America.

Try going to Iowa and see how well your AT&T cell phone works.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Southwest Missouri is not exactly home to the best AT&T coverage in America. Half of the trip to my fathers house has 0 reception. But again, if you have the right settings on in Google Maps, it preloads the map for the entire route.

I can't even remember the last time I was lost enough to need a map. Now I will say I do have a good sense of direction. But I have used it all over the western states and as long as you are mindful of your trip, no issue at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Google Maps allows you to download maps for offline use for when you are out of cell service range.
I drove 6,500 miles on last vacation and nearly impossible to predict all the locations without cell service. Glad to have built in NAV when it's needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 2012 touring and would not buy it again, if you want to upgrade the radio down the road it's more of a pain in my experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious if it's really worth considering the more expensive Touring model vs the EX-L (which really has all the features I need). Thanks!
The issue with the Touring audio system is the cheap Foster speakers that Honda installs in the Gen 5 CR-Vs. The audio amplifier provides excellent output but the speakers do not reproduce the sound that the audio system can deliver.

Solved the issue by replacing the Foster speakers with Pioneer TS-A1686S 6-1/2 inch 4-way speakers in the front and rear doors. This means you now have 21 speakers producing sound. Now it feels like you are in a sound studio control room. The sound is crisp and now you can feel the low frequencies in the car. The rear woofer is stock.

You will need to purchase 6-1/2 inch speaker brackets, connector cables and foam rings. I attached the center portion of the rings that you would normally throw away onto the back of the speaker magnets. Crutchfield has the information on the speaker bracket and connector cables to purchase.

There is a YouTube video on replacing the speakers and removing the door inner panels (the trick is finding the location of the 1 screw that attaches the inner door panel to the door inside the armrest). The 4 speakers, brackets, connector cables and foam rings cost about $140 purchasing them on eBay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The output is the same on the 17 or 19 halogens. It's just bad compared to a good led setup
I switched out LEDs for the halogens, and I legitimately felt safer and more comfortable driving after. Something felt seriously wrong with the output of the halogens. It was the worst visibility I had ever had. Or maybe I was spoiled because of the HIDs in my old TSX.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I switched out LEDs for the halogens, and I legitimately felt safer and more comfortable driving after. Something felt seriously wrong with the output of the halogens. It was the worst visibility I had ever had. Or maybe I was spoiled because of the HIDs in my old TSX.
Yep I just drove 3 hrs in the rain and it's a real problem. I may switch the gfs car to LEDs.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts