Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the Touring stereo system really better than EX-L?

25K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  UMRdyldo 
#1 ·
Just curious if it's really worth considering the more expensive Touring model vs the EX-L (which really has all the features I need). Thanks!

#8 ·
Sounds like you answered your own question. The touring does have other features such as built in Navigation, wireless charging, larger 19 inch wheels, led headlamps,rear cross traffic alert etc. In Canada it has the large panoramic sunroof that was worth the price of admission for my wife. No sense paying for features you don’t want.

#10 ·
A smart consumer does not buy the Touring trim for the stereo upgrade. It is after all a boxy SUV which no matter how much noise dampening and noise cancellation technology Honda uses... you are still going to have road noise interfere with stereo fidelity. That said... the subwoofer works really well in the gen5 CRV and is a definite plus on the Touring Trim.

THE REASON you buy the Touring trim is for all the other features exclusive to it (note these are for 2020, so some do not apply in earlier years of the gen5 touring):
  • Hands-Free Access Power Tailgate
  • Wireless Phone Charger*
  • 19-Inch Alloy Wheels
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off
  • Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™*
  • Turn-By-Turn Directions
  • Roof Rails
  • 330-Watt Premium Audio System with 9 Speakers
  • Dual Chrome Exhaust Finishers
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
The difference in price between EX-L and Touring is pretty modest for adding the above features to be honest. As others have noted.. Touring trim was worth it just for the LED headlights for me personally.. and everything else on top of that is gravy. I do like having a native NAV system in my Touring and it works quite well and comes with free updates for 5 years. Rain sensing wipers are also very nice.

#11 ·
You wrote that the EX-L has all the features you need -- Personally I bought the AWD Touring. Extra stuff that cost money -- but I will also get a higher selling price or trade in value when I change vehicles. I believe that extras on the vehicle hold value and the cost for what I want is not in question. Buy what you want or can afford. Don't buy chocolate if you like and want vanilla !

#13 ·
Prepare to upgrade the equipment later. My 2017 Touring has a lousy sound system which I am preparing to upgrade with all new speakers soon. The car needs much better sound insulation and speakers which aren't bargain basement (I'm told they're by Mitusibishi - yuk). I'd replace the whole thing but don't want headaches with interfaces for HVAC etc.

#14 ·
If you have to ask, then you don’t need to Touring.

For navigation, the EX-L supports CarPlay and Android Auto, so just use an app.

For headlights, you can easily add aftermarket LED bulbs that work fine for a much lower price.

For the sound system, this is a vehicle that will be moving all the time. There’s no point in getting a high-end sound system as it will always be affected by the road noise.

For ambient lighting, you can easily get kits for $20 to add some.

#18 ·
Aftermarket LED headlight bulbs, even where legal, are notably inferior to the LED Headlight array in the current Touring trim level. Other then the actual kelvin temperature improvement, you get no other benefits in terms of the superior light array spread in a Touring Headlight.

Hopefully, in future generation CRVs... the LED headlight array become standard equipment on all trim levels. It provides much improved lighting and safety in the dark.

#20 ·
Stock sound adjustment settings from the factory, the Touring sound system does not standout really.

BUT spend some quality time initially to adjust the array of different sound settings available on the sound system (just like any other sound system of any quality really) and you will find it sounds much better... for two reasons: 1) you set it for your particular sound and fidelity preferences. 2) you moved off of the factory default settings... which are basically plain vanilla and unremarkable).

#21 ·
There are far better thins to like about the Touring model. I purchased my 2018 Touring model in November of '18. It has been a good car so far, with some minor issues, but considering I paid $65,000 less than my neighbor who bought a new Escalade, I have had far less issues than he has. The stereo system in the Touring is so-so. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 5. The 2015 Accord EX-L I owned previously had a far better stereo system. And we are only talking about a 30 watt difference (Accord 360 watt vs. CR-V 330 watt). Honda needs to improve the quality of their sound systems. The subwoofer in the CR-V Touring peters out at even low volume. I would still choose the Touring over the EX-L for other nicer included options.....rain sensing wipers, memory seats, voice control, etc. I drove an LX CR-V as a loaner with only 3,000 miles on it. The difference in the quality of the ride is night and day......the Touring coming out ahead.

#22 ·
The 2015 Accord EX-L I owned previously had a far better stereo system. And we are only talking about a 30 watt difference (Accord 360 watt vs. CR-V 330 watt). Honda needs to improve the quality of their sound systems. The subwoofer in the CR-V Touring peters out at even low volume.
Comparing sound systems between a boxy interior like a CRV and a small profile interior like an Accord is going full on apples and oranges. My wifes 2018 EX sound system has better interior fidelity than my 2017 CRV Touring. But that is to be expected as there is much smaller interior space to tune and configure for in the Accord, so you can really tune it it well design wise. The interior of the Accord is also quieter.... because the rear seats are an almost perfect barrier to road noise from the rear of the vehicle (something the CRV, and almost all SUVs suffer from).

As for watts comparisons.... watts is a poor comparison of sound systems... given most owners go nowhere near the limits of their sound systems. For the purposes of sound level and fidelity inside a motor vehicle, even an SUV.. most sound systems are simply over powered..... because some owners think watts is what counts. If you have tuned the settings on your sound system and never go above 25% of full volume, you have more sound power than is required, even factoring in the presence of a properly sized subwoofer (not a neighborhood shaking and rattling subwoofer).

My subwoofer in my CRV works great. It sucked right off the showroom floor, but after tuning all the sound system settings, the subwoofer performs quite well, even at low volumes. In fact, my wife complains sometimes that base lows are too robust for her tastes in my CRV. Of course.. I am not setting my sound system to cause shuddering in the cars stopped around me at an intersection either... I am using the system as intended.. for personal listening enjoyment inside my CRV.

#29 ·
you guys need to stop getting hung up on the perceived wattage claim...keep in mind it takes x2 the power to equal 3db gain...ie: 150w vs 300w only 3db difference...I get the added sub but the rest is miniscule.. the added LED lights would be the primarily sole reason I'd opt to the touring trim...

Reactions: williamsji
#40 ·
One thing about the built-in navigation systems, at least in my 2014, they aren't really user-friendly to indicate a destination, and there is way too many times I find myself on a "not digitized Road".

now that I've seen the difference between the different systems, I would never be without Android auto or carplay.

#45 ·
How often do you use the car Nav system and get a "Not On A Digitized Road" indication? I live in an area with about 1/2 a million people, I get it quite a bit, and I'm not out in the boonies, maybe 20 mi from the center of town. And no, it's NOT new development.

So how do you think it's going to go when you really are in the boonies? I'll take google maps over any other any day. It's not that difficult to remember to download a map if yer gonna be out in the boonies. And, if yer gonna be out there, do you really care about traffic? Lol, maybe you'll run into a cow?

#47 ·
How often do you use the car Nav system and get a "Not On A Digitized Road" indication? I live in an area with about 1/2 a million people, I get it quite a bit, and I'm not out in the boonies, maybe 20 mi from the center of town. And no, it's NOT new development.

So how do you think it's going to go when you really are in the boonies? I'll take google maps over any other any day. It's not that difficult to remember to download a map if yer gonna be out in the boonies. And, if yer gonna be out there, do you really care about traffic? Lol, maybe you'll run into a cow?
Even if you are going in and out of reception, Google Maps still catches up and downloads data ahead. There are very few cases inside of the U.S. where loses cell reception is an issue.

#55 ·
The issue with the Touring audio system is the cheap Foster speakers that Honda installs in the Gen 5 CR-Vs. The audio amplifier provides excellent output but the speakers do not reproduce the sound that the audio system can deliver.

Solved the issue by replacing the Foster speakers with Pioneer TS-A1686S 6-1/2 inch 4-way speakers in the front and rear doors. This means you now have 21 speakers producing sound. Now it feels like you are in a sound studio control room. The sound is crisp and now you can feel the low frequencies in the car. The rear woofer is stock.

You will need to purchase 6-1/2 inch speaker brackets, connector cables and foam rings. I attached the center portion of the rings that you would normally throw away onto the back of the speaker magnets. Crutchfield has the information on the speaker bracket and connector cables to purchase.

There is a YouTube video on replacing the speakers and removing the door inner panels (the trick is finding the location of the 1 screw that attaches the inner door panel to the door inside the armrest). The 4 speakers, brackets, connector cables and foam rings cost about $140 purchasing them on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.