Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '99 CRV...I just changed the oil and I used an old fashioned filter type wrench that goes on the side of the filter. If I was using an "end" filter type wrench, it wouldn't have been an issue. But, because of the length of the filter, I couldn't get a good grip on it. If it was an inch longer, things would have been dif.

Is there a longer bigger filter out that there that would still work/fit?

I am using an STP 2809 now.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Fram gets bashed a lot on here, but the sure grip ones have a rubber back end on them and you can grab them a lot easier than the metal ones. I have never used a wrench on mine, but once in a while it can be a real chore to get off. I find jacking the front up slightly lets me get a little more leverage on it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The S2000 oil filter fits and is 20% larger making it better.

I had to put about 4 levels of duct tape on my filter wrench to get a good enough grip on the standard Honda filter.

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the filter has to be at an angle that lets the oil pee on you as you remove the filter. 3 cents of Aluminum more to put it so it is level would make all mechanic much happier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OEM Honda S2000 filter for every Honda I own.

As stated above it has a larger capacity than D and B series filters. It also features metal end caps where the Fram has cardboard, a silicone anti drain back valve where fram uses rubber and a metal pressure bypass valve where Fram uses plastic. The filter media is also superior in both filtration and longevity/resistance to breakdown.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The S2000 oil filter fits and is 20% larger making it better.
OEM Honda S2000 filter for every Honda I own.

As stated above it has a larger capacity than D and B series filters. It also features metal end caps where the Fram has cardboard, a silicone anti drain back valve where fram uses rubber and a metal pressure bypass valve where Fram uses plastic. The filter media is also superior in both filtration and longevity/resistance to breakdown.

The Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filter has all of the qualities of the S2k filter (except for larger size), but is designed for engines that operate at lower oil pressures. The S2k filter is designed specifically for the F20c/F22c engine and may not be the best for other Honda engines.

The S2000 engine operates at higher oil pressurse and so the bypass value in the S2k filter is likely set to open at a higher pressure as well.

By the way, the filter being physically larger doesn't necessarily mean it has more filter media inside. The Toyo Roki/Filtech made Honda A01 filter has about 155 square inches of media inside, while the identical looking A02 filter (Fram/Honeywell) only has about 100 square inches of media inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually the 15400-PLM-A01 was discontinued in 2003 due to what was pretty widely recognized as sub par filter media. You can use any Honda parts site to verify it has been superceeded. No one said it has more filter media. We said it increases the oil capacity.

Additionally the pressure bypass valve will cause NO issues on D or B series engines with healthy oil pumps.

There's a pretty involved thread on it over on S2ki

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/192750-s2000-oem-oil-filter-summary/

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Actually the 15400-PLM-A01 was discontinued in 2003 due to what was pretty widely recognized as sub par filter media. You can use any Honda parts site to verify it has been superceeded. No one said it has more filter media. We said it increases the oil capacity.

Additionally the pressure bypass valve will cause NO issues on D or B series engines with healthy oil pumps.

There's a pretty involved thread on it over on S2ki

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/192750-s2000-oem-oil-filter-summary/
Some one forgot to tell handa-accessories.com

http://handa-accessories.com/15400-PLM-A01.html

A01 filters are still being made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some one forgot to tell handa-accessories.com

http://handa-accessories.com/15400-PLM-A01.html

A01 filters are still being made.
No they're not they even say they interchange it for A02 in the first line of the description.

"American Honda interchanges part#15400-PLM-A01 with 15400-PLM-A02."

Not trying to be argumentative, I don't just go around posting stuff I'm kind of sure about as if it were truth though LOL.

If anyone IS still selling A01 it doesn't mean they're still being made. They're just selling new old stock. I probably wouldn't use a filter Honda themselves stopped using because it's "subpar"

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=15400-PLM-A01

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
We are currently shipping only the 15400-PLM-A01 filters

Honda 15400-PLM-A02
Recommended for the S2000? NO.

Comments: Made in the U.S. by Fram, and probably equivalent to the Fram part #7317 pictured above, this was the universal Honda OEM filter specified for use in most Honda cars until mid-2003, but NOT the S2000. It is distinctly smaller than the U.S. and JDM S2000 filters, and was widely recognized as being a generally poor-to-mediocre filter.

The above quote was about the A02 not A01.

Just posting the facts as they are presented from your own link.

Do you have a source that confirms the A01s have been discontinued?

In the last 12 months i have been receiving both from Honda.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Denso filter from RockAuto.com ....one of the best made on the market!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
Never had a problem with the A02 filter. Who cares about capacity when you change them every oil change? They are intended to last TWO oil changes (verified by cut-open filters at BobIsTheOilGuy.com)

I buy the filters in 6 packs (I maintain three Hondas) and I think the OEM filters are a good value. An equivalent Fram costs more at WallyWorld...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My 2003 Honda Odyssey manual states (for normal driving conditions) to change the oil (dino at that time) every 7500 miles and the oil filter every 15,000 miles (or on the second oil change), and it is a pretty small filter. I am now using the Fram Ultra Synthetic (probably because of high praises and promotions) with good luck, course I've always had good luck with all the old ones, including the Honda A01 and 02, the Orange Can of Death :) , the Bosch, Purolator Classic, Napa. My main concerns now are the amt of restriction the filter can cause to the flow and anti-drainback and cost.
Buffalo4
PS: Lots of stuff on BobIsTheOilGuy Forum.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
... I've always had good luck with all the old ones, including the Honda A01 and 02, & the Orange Can of Death :) . My main concerns now are the amt of restriction the filter can cause to the flow and anti-drainback and cost.
Buffalo4
I've had TWO "OCOD" with bad drainback valves. Imaging my surprise when replacing the filter to find the insides EMPTY. :eek: This was decades ago, however.

Regards restriction: It's often said that the best filtration comes immediately before the filter plugs up. :rolleyes: To each his own...

·
Registered
229 Posts
On my '99 CRV...I just changed the oil and I used an old fashioned filter type wrench that goes on the side of the filter. If I was using an "end" filter type wrench, it wouldn't have been an issue. But, because of the length of the filter, I couldn't get a good grip on it. If it was an inch longer, things would have been dif.

Is there a longer bigger filter out that there that would still work/fit?

I am using an STP 2809 now.

Sounds like you're just putting it on way too tight, the only time I ever need a filter wrench is if a dealer or shop did the last change and cranked the filter on with a filter wrench. I had the dealer do the first change on the CR-V and then when I did the next change I had to run out and buy a wrench to get the stupid filter broke loose.

I run full syn in all my vehicles and use NAPA Platinum filters, with a 7.5k OCI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts