Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll start by requesting that this NOT be a discussion of premium vs regular, as that is being hotly debated in another thread. I'd like to focus solely on regular gas here, but examine the benefits of optimum/higher detergency.

I'll also state that a) I know that Honda recommends top-tier in the owner's manual for the 2017 CR-V (p. 531), and b) Consumer Reports has concluded a benefit to top-tier gas (http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/).

A few questions:

1. Is there any data showing an increase in harmful deposits using only the minimum allowed detergencies?
2. Does anyone see clear improvements in fuel economy using top-tier gas?
3. Does having a turbocharger imply a stronger need for top-tier gas?
4. Does using minimum-detergency gas result in any symptoms that would be easy to detect (driving quality, noises, etc.)?
5. For Canadian 2017 CR-V owners, does anyone use supermarket gas chains like Safeway or Superstore/RCSS/loblaws (Costco is rated top-tier)?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
I tend to prefer top tier brands, when available.
However experience has taught me that they aren't always where I am, so for those times, I just go with the flow. Plenty of similar discussions on this forum about TTG.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Top tear fuels do have benefits over your cheaper fuels. While all base gasolines are the same ( different refinerie's gasoline gets mixed during tranport thru the pipelines ) the differences are in the additive packages which are added when the local tanker trucks are filled. Top tear fuels have more and better packages. Does it make a difference, yes it can. Top tear tend to keep fuel injectors cleaner and lower carbon deposts in the cylinders. You may experence rougher, unstable idle or engine knocking in the early stages of injector fouling and excessive carbon build up. If you use fuels that are not top tear, it would`t be unwise to add a bottle of Techron every now and then. Techron is the additive used in several top tear fuels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just get gas wherever it's convenient. The top tier gas stations put a little extra detergent in the gasoline, but I think as long as you get regular oil changes you don't need to worry about deposits in the engine. If necessary you can always throw in a bottle of techron to clean things up. This helped me one time with a high mileage Accord with an O2 sensor fault code. It cleared the code and I was able to pass inspection.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just get gas wherever it's convenient. The top tier gas stations put a little extra detergent in the gasoline, but I think as long as you get regular oil changes you don't need to worry about deposits in the engine. If necessary you can always throw in a bottle of techron to clean things up. This helped me one time with a high mileage Accord with an O2 sensor fault code. It cleared the code and I was able to pass inspection.
Regular oil changes are definitely a good thing but it won't help your fuel system. I add fuel system cleaner in every few months to help keep everything clean.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chris Martin at Honda states, "We've supported it [Top Tier gasoline] because we've seen a benefit from it for our consumers in the long run. . . We don't require that our vehicle owners use Top Tier gas [but it helps] make sure the engines are going to last as long as they could."

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oil changes are not going to help deposits lol.

There is no reason to not buy Top Tier fuel unless it's not available in your area. 87 fuel prices are typically equivalent at all the stations in your area. AAA also published a study regarding the benefits of Top Tier fuels.

I only use Shell. They offer a rewards program that gives you 3 cents off every time, and you can use Kroger fuel points too if you want. They market the hell out of their fuel quality (something most people don't even care about at all) for a reason.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chris Martin at Honda states, "We've supported it [Top Tier gasoline] because we've seen a benefit from it for our consumers in the long run. . . We don't require that our vehicle owners use Top Tier gas [but it helps] make sure the engines are going to last as long as they could."
Top Tier is a way of setting a standard.
While top tier gas has different "packages" between brands (Shell, Chevron etc), they all guarantee a minimum level of additives and detergents to ensure engine fuel system cleanliness and combustion effectivity.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do you really think that the gas terminal is putting additives in at the point it's offloaded onto the tanker truck? Shell terminals are providing gas to all kinds of "non-branded" dealers. At our local terminal, you'll see branded Shell tanker trucks and private transport tankers waiting in line at the same distribution point.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes.......
Perhaps, perhaps not. Someone working at the terminal would have to confirm this. A family friend in a private trucking business told me he frequently transports gas to branded stations from different terminals -- for example, if the Shell terminal is low, he'll then transport a load from another (non-Shell) terminal to the Shell gas station.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your responses, but I feel the discussion has not resulted in any real answers. It is clear that the only difference between different stations is the type and quantity of detergents/additives. We can say that Top Tier defines a certain standard, but the government also imposes a minimum standard on detergency, i.e. all gas (Top Tier or not) has what the government considers to be a minimum level of detergency needed to maintain engine health. What evidence is there - outside of that funded by auto manufacturers - that more additives are better?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
beachpassport, Gasoline is a Fungible commodity. (Look it up)

In our NYC/Philly metro areas, the trucks can fill up the tanks with generic gas from several refineries. (Exxon and Hess are the biggies around here.) (Which is what you said) The additives are put into the tankers after filling.

If the (Shell) truck doesn't empty out it's tanks, it will often offer its leftover gasoline to off-brand or unbranded stations at a discount. There are less and less dedicated-brand delivery tankers these days, to boot.

·
Registered
33 Posts

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

Not sure how well the test applies to Honda's direct injection engines and intake valves.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Based on Honda's description of the direct injection system, it's directly injected into the cylinder, bypassing the intake valve. Here's a quote from their web page describing the engine characteristics.

"A multi-hole injector delivers fuel directly into each cylinder (not to the intake port, as in conventional port fuel injection designs), allowing for more efficient combustion."

So, while top-tier gas is probably a good idea, it should have less effect on the valves directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Do you really think that the gas terminal is putting additives in at the point it's offloaded onto the tanker truck? Shell terminals are providing gas to all kinds of "non-branded" dealers. At our local terminal, you'll see branded Shell tanker trucks and private transport tankers waiting in line at the same distribution point.
Yes, that's exactly what happens; additives are added separately from the base gasoline in the truck. It doesn't matter who owns the pipeline terminal, which does indeed distribute gas to whatever brand truck pulls up. (The retail gasoline divisions of petroleum companies have little to do with the exploration, refining, and distribution operations anyway; selling gas at retail is more of a branding exercise than anything to do with the rest of the business.)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just discovered that Sunoco is now a Top Tier gasoline and has been for about a month.
This great news for me since a Sunoco station is my closest gas station, it usually has the best price within 10 miles and it sells 91 octane gas which is required in my BMW.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts