Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on a 3 week driving vacation and I would like to take the 2nd fob with us in case something happens to the 1st one. We will be in and out of the car, kayaking, biking, etc. I would like to hide the 2nd remote somewhere in the car but disable it. I don't want to take it with us as if something happens to the 1st one, it's likely to happen to the 2nd and I don't want to have to remember TWO remotes every time we get in & out of the car for 3 weeks.

Question:
Is there a way to disable the remote and if so how?
If I leave it disabled for 3 weeks will it lose it's programming?

Before you ask how will we get in, I have AAA, so all we have to do is have them get us IN the car, then I can re-enable the remote and we are back in business.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You could just take the battery out and keep the extra fob and battery in a small ziplock bag and leave that in the car. When you do need to use it, you just pop the battery back in.

(Not sure if I think keeping the spare fob hidden in the car is a good idea. I'd probably give the spare fob to someone else that you're travelling with for safe keeping.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could just take the battery out and keep the extra fob and battery in a small ziplock bag and leave that in the car. When you do need to use it, you just pop the battery back in.

(Not sure if I think keeping the spare fob hidden in the car is a good idea. I'd probably give the spare fob to someone else that you're travelling with for safe keeping.)
Thanks so much. If I take the battery out for 3 weeks, will the fob lose the programming? do you happen to know how to get the battery out? I don't see any kind of cover or anything? Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Honda 4 life - I don't have one of those unless you mean the key that slides out of the remote? If so, how do I start the car with that key? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does the 2015 crv comes with a valet key at all? I didn't get one from my dealer so wanted to check. If so, I will yell at my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks so much. If I take the battery out for 3 weeks, will the fob lose the programming? do you happen to know how to get the battery out? I don't see any kind of cover or anything? Thanks!
The following image is from the manual. There's no mention of programming lost. I doubt that kind of stuff would be stored on volatile memory like RAM. So if it's stored on some sort of flash memory, not having power wouldn't affect the programming.

Smart Key battery.PNG

·
Registered
140 Posts
No, there is no valet key with the 2015 push button start.

Does the 2015 crv comes with a valet key at all? I didn't get one from my dealer so wanted to check. If so, I will yell at my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just pull the battery. That's the easiest solution. You will have some kind of pocket knife with you and reinstalling the battery is a piece of cake. I've had garage remotes without batteries for over a year. Similar technology and they fire right back up with a battery placed back in the spot.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUESTION
I just spoke to SERVICE. (honda CR-v 2017 ex-L)
they said that even if you pull the battery, the CAR will DETECT that a FOB is in the car, WITH a dead battery (it won't start the car though). Has anyone tried removing the battery and seeing if it stays in the car undetected?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
QUESTION
they said that even if you pull the battery, the CAR will DETECT that a FOB is in the car, WITH a dead battery (it won't start the car though). Has anyone tried removing the battery and seeing if it stays in the car undetected?
Question for you, if the battery of the vehicle is disconnected providing no power to the vehicle, how is the vehicle capible of detecting the remote?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just accept it!

Magic!
View attachment 95210
1. Sorry but Ive ran into some Service Advisors that will say whatever to get someone out of there or off a phone.

2. I deal in known facts, I dont accept things that arent fact &/or have proof to back up a statement.

3. Glad the Newbs really go out of their way telling others what to do or insulting others. (Need proof of that? Check out the, Pet Name's for your CR-V thread.) Just in case you may be lazy, here is the link. To see it all you will need to click back 1 previous page and check out the bottom.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/36-poll-central/527-pet-names-your-crv-17.html#post1098282

4. Glad you got to add 1 more to your post count. Congrats to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUESTION
HELP, please clarify. one of the replies to this assumed that i meant the CAR battery. SORRY for mistyping.
I meant that the SERVICE person stated that if you remove the REMOTE FOB battery, the car will still detect the remote.
can anyone clarify on htis? thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
1. Sorry but Ive ran into some Service Advisors that will say whatever to get someone out of there or off a phone.

2. I deal in known facts, I dont accept things that arent fact &/or have proof to back up a statement.

3. Glad the Newbs really go out of their way telling others what to do or insulting others. (Need proof of that? Check out the, Pet Name's for your CR-V thread.) Just in case you may be lazy, here is the link. To see it all you will need to click back 1 previous page and check out the bottom.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/36-poll-central/527-pet-names-your-crv-17.html#post1098282

4. Glad you got to add 1 more to your post count. Congrats to you.
That was intended to be joke, (ya know humor) ... I too require proof to back up most things myself -

I could care less about my "post count", and go out of my way to not insult others, but thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
Play nice folks.

You can also buy a lead lined X-ray film pouch. People have talked about them stopping the signal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts