Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than just when you are in reverse, is there some "secret" button-press combination that results in displaying the rearview camera all the time?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
We wish! Another item on our want list.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This is something that surely is needed. You have to see where you've been.

Now if someone could invent something to allow you to do that. Maybe something like a mirror................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is something that surely is needed. You have to see where you've been.

Now if someone could invent something to allow you to do that. Maybe something like a mirror................
Ha Ha. There is some truth to what you say, but I come from the RV world where having a full-time rear camera is near-necessity. In the 2012-2014 CR-V case, it would help with blind spots and changing lanes. It sounds like Coral is saying the 2015s have a right camera for lane changing...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ha Ha. There is some truth to what you say, but I come from the RV world where having a full-time rear camera is near-necessity. In the 2012-2014 CR-V case, it would help with blind spots and changing lanes. It sounds like Coral is saying the 2015s have a right camera for lane changing...
I have a 2015 CRV and when you turn the right turn signal on, the right camera turns on automatically. On the turn signal indicator, if you push a button in, you can have the right camera on all the time.

It is a cool feature and I am surprised they didn't put a camera for when you turn left. I was sent a survey this week from Honda and that was one of the questions asked if we would like that camera also.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Would appreciate it -- thanks!
I cannot find the Thread but here is what it contains, I made .pdf file of it for my own file on the 2013 CRV.
I can confirm it works at speed too as I tow a golf cart on a trailer and I use it to keep an eye on the tie downs etc.

Turn On Rear View Camera Whilst Driving Forward.

Been cruising as many forums as I could to see what I could find out about our new CR-V (2013). I have been trying, mainly, to get my Samsung GS3 to work a little better with Pandora -- I don't think I ever will get it to perform as an I-Phone will....

But, in the process of reading a bunch of posts, I saw a little snippet on one where a guy wants to get a web cam installed (a back-up camera, like the 2013 has [he had a pre-2013 Honda]), in that thread there was a reference to entering the "MENU" on the CR-V, and then hold the "Menu" and "Source" buttons until a new menu pops up (it takes about 5 seconds or so).

Once that happens, there are about 5 or 6 more menus in there. One to turn on or off "Pandora", one for Display Art (what that is I have not figured out - on or off, I've noted no difference), one for diagnostics, and maybe a few others that are slipping my mind. The cool one though, there is one for Camera - when you select it, it turns on the rear view camera! Even while you are cruising down the road at 65!!!

I actually think this was a thread about Civics, but it works on the CR-V as well, at least on the 2013, it does.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It is a cool feature and I am surprised they didn't put a camera for when you turn left. I was sent a survey this week from Honda and that was one of the questions asked if we would like that camera also.
Cool. I wish they build a front view camera as well. So, we don't need to look through the windshield all the time. Will come in handy when we get those self-driving cars. One screen with all four views.........

·
Registered
644 Posts
Rather than just when you are in reverse, is there some "secret" button-press combination that results in displaying the rearview camera all the time?
Would be nice. I frequently feel like I am in a get away car.....

Cool. I wish they build a front view camera as well. So, we don't need to look through the windshield all the time. Will come in handy when we get those self-driving cars. One screen with all four views.........

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a dash cam. May try watching the display screen instead of looking out the windshield. But it's only 2.7 inches. Too bad. Now if it were larger..............

:p

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I find the rear view camera coming on when you signal for a right turn annoying and nothing more than a distraction. Each time I get a new car the first thing I do after setting the radio presets is disable the passenger side camera.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I have a 2015 CRV and when you turn the right turn signal on, the right camera turns on automatically. On the turn signal indicator, if you push a button in, you can have the right camera on all the time.

Silly thought here. But when turning left should you not be looking toward the left side of the vehicle not the center of the dash?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cannot find the Thread but here is what it contains, I made .pdf file of it for my own file on the 2013 CRV.
I can confirm it works at speed too as I tow a golf cart on a trailer and I use it to keep an eye on the tie downs etc.
It works on my new 2015 CR-V LX. After pressing and releasing the "menu" button and then pressing both "menu" and "source", a new 2 items menu appears in about 6 sec: "diagnostic" and "camera". Select the "camera" and the rear view camera turns on and stays like that until you press "menu" button again or turn off ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. It works on my 2014 CR-V.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is a service menu where you can display the rear camera full time, at least for the 12-14 models

If i recall correctly, enter the menu by pushing the menu button, then hold source and menu for like 10 seconds

a menu will pop up and you will be able to access the camera.

Be carefull not to change anything as this is where the calibrations are done

IMO its not worth a whole lot as the resouliton and frame rate dont see to work well at speed

·
Registered
203 Posts
menu > menu + source for 6-10 seconds

worked great for me when I had my crv filled with ballons and could not see out my rear view mirror so I used the backup camera when driving to keep me aware of things behind me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
More info -- You can cancel out of this camera mode by hitting the "Menu" button. When in this camera mode, you can scroll through the camera view choices (normal, wide, straight down) by hitting the button with the cascading windows symbol.

In each of the three camera views, there are X & Y coordinates in the upper right corner. These refer to a small red dot that you can move around the screen to different locations. X=220, Y=110 is approximately in the center. I have no idea what this would be used for other than maybe a repeatable reference point for parking in the same spot.

UPDATE: Forget my idea on the red dot -- it doesn't "stick" in position when the camera is turned off. It returns to its home position. I suspect that it may be used in aligning the camera after replacement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts