Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a way to (re)start the engine in Neutral?

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  fishycomics 
#1 ·
While doing a road test to isolate some noise with my Touring, I noticed that I could not restart the engine after I shut it down on the highway -- even if I put the transmission in Neutral.

Once the engine is stopped, the only way to restart it is if the vehicle is stopped and in Park. I'm presuming this is the case even if the engine stalls.

Granted, restarting an engine while the car is moving is something I rarely have to do. However, I am curious -- does anyone know of a way to restart the engine without going all the way to Park?

#4 ·
So I thought I go try the start car and go to N and shut off and restart. nope will not restart, even to the pedal gently. I also thought a long press would restart 3 plus seconds. I also thought three presses,, so I must go read the book for this answer.

#9 ·
As a dealer made a video of a Honda, the info center on the dash shows when you press once while driving the start, it will say press 2x to shut down. the dealer then went for a small drive and did just that, he did not show how to restart while driving, but he was forced to stop and had to follow the instructions to restart while in park. the stop engine while driving is a firm press, or three presses on our model.

To me it is a concern a hazard an accident waiting to happen on our busy roads that people all here, some do keep the limit. we drive 50 mph while many do 60-80 plus. most will simply ride your rear if you are slow.and what if your car shuts down, by your kid your dog , yes some s people ride with their pets in their lap. and that button got hit, and now you are coasting and slowing down, the person and people next to you are not going to let you in because you are the one that is in need of pulling over for safety to stop on the shoulder, the people are cussing you.

You can not get over and now rolling and hoping no one crashes into to you or cutting you off by inches of your front bumper, you stop in the dead of center on a fast highway now you put to park, press once,

This should be a simple press once in the "N" or a long press, and the car restarts.

that is how this should work, so Pleas edo get to the Service rep and see if there is a program or proceedure we are missing

As said you have to slighty press the brake in N I did that and a No go. did hte Poster who said that did it??????

#10 ·
If you look about you can find examples of people with "old fashion" cars with key switches turning off the engine while driving down the road. Some people have all sorts of things hanging on their key chains (which is, BTW, a very bad thing to do as it overloads the switch). Pets hit them, they bump them with their knees, whatever, it has and does happen. Of course its a little easier to restart the car.....or is it? We saw complaints from customers over this. Seems most do not know their cars would start in the "Neutral" position. From habit they want to restart from "Park".

There are all sorts of things that people will be frightened by on their cars. That Toyota run away thing where the car wouldn't stop....people would freak out and not put the car in neutral or just turn the engine off, either of which would have allowed the car to stop. A friend of mine is an engineer that worked with the team that investigated that. They found in every single case it was "operator error". They even questioned people about why they didn't just turn the car off or put it in "Neutral". The drivers would state they were afraid of hurting the engine, or they just never even thought of it as they panicked. It seems no matter how you design a car someone will point out the danger of your decision. It also seems no matter how "fool proof" you make a machine the fools will out smart you every time.

I am not sure about the restart on the push button models. It is something to think about, even if it is super rare, it could happen. I will have to look into this now and see what the "Rest of the story" is on this. I do know my wife did turn her Fit off once while driving but she never made a big deal of it. She was trying to push the A/C button on but didn't look and his the "Start/Stop" button by mistake. I will ask her how she did the re-start but if I recall she just pulled over and restarted the car and went on her way. She never made a big deal about it and didn't even mentioned it at the time it happened. She is a very non-mechanical type person and will speak out about anything that seems wrong with her car. She didn't get excited about the engine going off, and it was in the city where there was traffic. I will find out more.

#11 ·
the toyota run away was a user error for sure at a factory making a floor mat that was not correctly seated down that caused others to have a run away the car was the Preius.

takes one person to cause an accident when another is not paying attention
Back to the push start .

FISH

#13 ·
I guess a real life video is needed.

I am not going to try to do the drive and shut down and slap to Neutral thing. I know the answer to that. and posted.

Maybe later today . if i feel happy (the song)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.