Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the retainer clips that hold the rear bumper cover require any special technique to remove them. Is it a clip inside a clip? Or, do I just pry them out like "Christmas tree retainers" on american cars?

Better to ask then to bust them all up. The car is an '09 LX.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hey barry, yes there is a trick. A tack claw works the best, but put the claw under the clip that's inside the outer clip. Pry it out alittle, it doesn't come out all the way. Once you do this step then the whole clip should come out of the hole. You may have to get under the outer clip and give it alittle pry to get it out of the hole.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tckr,
I can't really make out that pic but I think I get it. I used a small flat blade screwdriver on which I bent the tip about 30 degrees and popped the inner pins out just fine.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Glad you got the those clips out. Sorry the pic wasn't a good one, but I was hoping you would get the idea.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried on one clip. Wish me luck when I have to remove like a thousand of them when I do the sensors. In the meantime, I've been practicing drilling the 24 and 26 mm holes using an old dog food bowl.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh come on, Barry. There's not like a thousand of them. I take these things off and on everyday. You'll do just fine.:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just like to ham it up a bit sometimes.
If I get the job done in 4 hours without ruining anything I'll be very pleased.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the interior tear down tonight. I only broke 1.5 clips....
I'll have to go hit the parts counter on Monday. The ones I broke were one of the legs of one of the clips that holds the rear cargo floor trim and one of the pin clips that hold the rear pillar/window trim. Those floor trim clips were wierd. You actually have to spread the two legs from underneath (but not too much or you'll break one like I did) and then wiggle them up to get the clip out. The window clip was just "normal" and it just snapped off. Fortunately they're not integrated with the trim panel so I can swap in a similar one from a place that's easier to get to and replace that one when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Floor Trim. Are you talking about the one that goes across the opening of the door that had the 2 tie downs with bolts that had to be removed also? If you are, there is a little round piece in the center of the clips. You push the center down part way to release the clip and then you can remove the clip from the hole.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are the ones... I wish I knew that last night. That panel probably won't mind one half broken clip. I go beg at the dealer next week. It's all buttoned back up now. The drilling of the bumper was a little nervewracking but went fine and it all looks good. I probably spent 5 hours total but I'm slow.

Merry Christmas...

·
Registered
27 Posts
wondered if anyone knew where to find these clips at a good price? broke several pulling the splash guard off front end. are they dealer only? tried Advance and they don't have the ones for Hondas. thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to know too. clipsandfasteners.com is a great outfit, but I could not find that clip on their site.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Try going to Lowe's. They have an assortment of these plugs in their specialty nut/bolt area [with all the drawers, Section J, I think]. Had to replace some when I removed the interior trim of our V to soundproof the rear areas. Went to the local Honda dealership to get the push-in replacements. Was told that they cost $2.90 each. @ Lowe's, similar types cost 2/$.80. Just be sure to measure hole diameter to get the correct size.

Would also recommend getting an interior trim removal kit. These are made out of plastic, no metal parts/edges. Got mine from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP5011-Panel-Molding-Removal/dp/B000VYBLJ4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1278071205&sr=8-7. Don't have to worry about scratching any finished areas 'cause I ain't using metal screw drivers no more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for the tips guys. dealers around here quoted between $3.25 and $7.50 each for them. had looked on Ebay before and not seen them. just found them and got 20 clips for $6.00 shipped. sure they are cheap quality, but they seem to be disposable items anyway so what the heck. if they don't work out I'll try the Lowe's option.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where did you get the ones you purchased for 6.00 for 20 pieces and what was their catalog/part number?

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey Barry. got them from seller name xgamepc on Ebay. no part number. just searched in parts for the model car and went through the listings. sure he has more. like I said though haven't received them yet so can't vouch for the quality or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps you will update the thread after you get them to tell us how they are. Seems like it's a bit common for lots of us to break them since we didn't post first to ask how to remove them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
these replacement clips worked quite well. the plastic may not be quite as good as the original parts, but who cares for the price. I found that even trying to remove the old ones using the correct procedure I broke quite a few due to the age of the clips. the plastic was just deteriorated. so, it seems to me they are essentially disposable anyway. the cheaper the better for the replacements i say. will probably pick up another pack to have on hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts