Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to get my OBD2 reader in the mail. Not sure if I have oil dilution on my 2019 yet or not.

Is there anything I could be watching for on the OBD2 reader?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Not particularly, no. I suppose eventually, if it's super-bad, the engine will misfire, but then you'll probably feel it without the need for a scanner if that happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It really depends on what information is on the OBD2 network. Some cars have more information than others. From my limited experience with Nissan and GMC, you might get oil pressure readings and possibly oil temperature. I would imagine a low oil warning would appear in Error Codes. So I don't think you will get much usable information on oil mitigation.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
nope, not going to get anything like that from the basic code readers. A proper scanner can possibly show oil pressure in PSI but that's it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't believe any kind of oil chemical analysis takes place over time/miles inside the motor and is read/recorded by a sensor(s), then forwarded to the ECU. Code readers/scanners basically display info from the ECU/computer.

Auto mfgs use complex algorithms, to determine when its time to change oil based upon a whole host of info like temps, miles, throttle positions, rpms, engine loads and on and on and on, but I don't believe oil chemical analysis inside the motor is one.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't believe any kind of oil chemical analysis takes place over time/miles inside the motor and is read/recorded by a sensor(s), then forwarded to the ECU. Code readers/scanners basically display info from the ECU/computer.

Auto mfgs use complex algorithms, to determine when its time to change oil based upon a whole host of info like temps, miles, throttle positions, rpms, engine loads and on and on and on, but I don't believe oil chemical analysis inside the motor is one.
nope there is nothing that advanced. There is nothing that tells oil level unless it's too low either. Until this issue there was never a need to be able to check that. As you said it's the algorithms programmed in based on knowledge of oil break down based on engine conditions.

But also why relying on that reminder light is a really bad idea. Because people then ignore all the info in the owners manual about when to change oil sooner and so on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts