Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below are some pictures of the inside of a front door panel from a 2020 EX. There is a bulbous plastic thing on the bottom righthand side of the panel (present on both left and right door panels). It has a ~1inch oval opening (so it's not fully enclosed). It is connected to the panel in 3 locations (one screw, plus two plastic weldings). Apart from these 3 connection points, the bulb is 'floating' and is not touching the rest of the panel (there is a space behind it, between it and the rest of the panel). The bulb appears empty and it doesn't contain electronics, has no wires leading to it, etc.

What is the purpose of this thing? What do you think would happen if it were removed?? Appreciate any insights or ideas. I'm inclined to think manufacturers do not put things in cars that have no function and I'm stumped.

Attachments

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
What is the purpose of this thing? What do you think would happen if it were removed?? Appreciate any insights or ideas. I'm inclined to think manufacturers do not put things in cars that have no function and I'm stumped.
S'pose you could fire an email to Honda USA and see what reply you get?

·
Registered
2014 EX-L AWD
114 Posts
if it's behind the door panel (US) or door card (EU), and you don't see it....is it that bothersome to you that you have to remove it? just curious. you can do whatever you want.

Or are you looking to add some audio components there?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Speaker port?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it's behind the door panel (US) or door card (EU), and you don't see it....is it that bothersome to you that you have to remove it? just curious. you can do whatever you want.

Or are you looking to add some audio components there?
Thanks for the suggestion everyone. Yes, I am asking for audio-related purpose. I'm not putting a speaker there however. I have removed the plastic/fiber thing that covers the 3 large holes in the inner door and covered them with acrylic, to seal up the door and help separate the front and rear waves of the door speaker. Similar to this: 2018+ Honda Accord (10th Gen.) : Doors – ResoNix Sound Solutions

The acrylic cover on the hole behind this bulb hits the bulb and does not allow the door panel to go back on. I think if I remove the bulb, the door panel will fit again. I do not think the bulb serves an essential function but am curious what others think.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You must have the Southern Special Edition. Those are for filling with moonshine for midnight runs. Would you ever think to look in there?;)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,398 Posts
Speaker port?
How about: A vibration dampener to prevent rattles when the door speaker is cranked-up LOUD?

Is the door panel only CLIPPED in place, or are there actually a few screws or other hardware securing it?

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about: A vibration dampener to prevent rattles when the door speaker is cranked-up LOUD?

Is the door panel only CLIPPED in place, or are there actually a few screws or other hardware securing it?
I suppose it could be some sort of dampener, although it's not really the design I'd expect for something like that.

The door panel is clipped in several places, and there is one screw behind the power window controls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really. I can put it back in relatively easily if I needed with a couple screws. Or if all hell breaks loose, new door panels can be obtained.

I think the resonator suggestion is probably correct, and I'm not worried about losing that.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yes, there's a tuned port for that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You must have the Southern Special Edition. Those are for filling with moonshine for midnight runs. Would you ever think to look in there?;)
Thread winner LOL :ROFLMAO: In all seriousness, these new vehicles have a purpose for literally every little piece.

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
Not really. I can put it back in relatively easily if I needed with a couple screws. Or if all hell breaks loose, new door panels can be obtained.

I think the resonator suggestion is probably correct, and I'm not worried about losing that.
With that, this concludes the thread. OP, if you need to add to it, drop me a message and I'll re-open.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.