Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! If you have a chance, I was wondering if you could help me determine if my 2017 CR-V EX's liftgate might have a potential issue.

It opens and closes just fine, but when the liftgate is almost all the way up, I hear a very brief low pitch 'scraping' or light 'grinding' noise, almost as if there is metal-on-metal friction when the liftgate is close to its highest point. Do you hear the same thing when your liftgate is almost all the way up, or is it silent the whole time?

Thank you in advance for your help! Not sure if I should just try any lubricant or pay a quick visit to my local dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i had the same issue when i picked up my lx. i asked the dealer and they agreed it sounded weird so they replaced both struts but the noise was still there. i played with other crv's on the lot and they all made the same noise. the noise you describe is just like mine. it reaches the top and you hear a bit of a grinding noise.

I've given up and just accepted the noise. its not the nice cushioned noise i normally hear from hydraulics but brand new parts didnt fix it so it must just be the way it is

·
Registered
600 Posts
I never noticed a noise, but I have programmed mine to only go as far open as I need to be able to stand underneath it. I did that as I have bicycles hanging from the rafters in my garage that the hatch would Lake contact with if it went to full open.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
With a helper holding up the (heavy!) trunk, you could disconnect the struts and see if it still makes the noise without them. If so, it's the hinges, if not, it's the struts.

(All lift struts work the same way; stick a small screwdriver in the slot and pry the clip outwards (but don't try to remove it); the strut will then simply pop off the ball joint.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I haven't heard anything in mine in over 4 months of ownership but I'll check to see if it's there. I don't think I have any noises coming from the lift gate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts