Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is using a bicycle carrier on a CR-V taboo?
I have 2017 EXL-Navigation and none of the carrier dealer websites I’ve checked out will make a recommendation.
The Honda rails, crossbars, and hitch are too expensive and I’m unable to install an aftermarket hitch which I find a looks a bit clunky anyway.

I’ve used carriers on my civics and accords without any issues and now I’m a bit disappointed that I might have to put the bikes into my CR-V risking damage and limiting cargo space.

Thanks for your input,
R

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,908 Posts
Hi,
I have 2017 EXL-Navigation and none of the carrier dealer websites I’ve checked out will make a recommendation.
The Honda rails, crossbars, and hitch are too expensive and I’m unable to install an aftermarket hitch which I find a looks a bit clunky anyway.

I’ve used carriers on my civics and accords without any issues and now I’m a bit disappointed that I might have to put the bikes into my CR-V risking damage and limiting cargo space.

Thanks for your input,
R
Just go to U-Haul and have them install a hitch and call it good. That's what I did on my 2013.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haul bicycles regularly and have for years.

My advice is to get a hitch put on (not expensive at all) and use a hitch mounted bike rack.

I hauled bikes on roof mounted carriers for many years before I wised up. I tried a hitch mounted rack, and never looked back. The advantages of hauling bikes behind your car on a hitch mount rack are overwhelming versus hauling bikes on the roof, in my opinion.

No more having to lift bikes up high to get them on and off the carrier. Much less wind resistance, mpg loss, and noise with a rear mounted carrier. Hitch rack itself is simple to remove when you don't want it back there, as compared to roof mounted racks.

These days, I look back and laugh at how ridiculous it was to haul bikes on the roof. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd go back to roof mount, having used both styles extensively.

One nice thing about the CR-V is that the tail lights are mounted high on the vehicle. If you use the right platform style hitch mount bike rack, your bikes don't obscure the turn and tails much at all, compared to most cars. Also, the CR-V handles a hitch with 2" receiver, which is preferable to 1.25" if you haul more than 2 bikes.

Basically, the CR-V is just about ideal for hauling bikes with a hitch rack.

The roof rails for the CR-V are relatively pricey, and not that great anyway in my view. They force you to use the cross bars in a close together position. I prefer to be able to slide the crossbars fore and aft more, as you can do with a Forester or Rav, for example. Not a fan of the CR-V style.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I haul bicycles regularly and have for years.

My advice is to get a hitch put on (not expensive at all) and use a hitch mounted bike rack.

I hauled bikes on roof mounted carriers for many years before I wised up. I tried a hitch mounted rack, and never looked back. The advantages of hauling bikes behind your car on a hitch mount rack are overwhelming versus hauling bikes on the roof, in my opinion.

No more having to lift bikes up high to get them on and off the carrier. Much less wind resistance, mpg loss, and noise with a rear mounted carrier. Hitch rack itself is simple to remove when you don't want it back there, as compared to roof mounted racks.

These days, I look back and laugh at how ridiculous it was to haul bikes on the roof. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd go back to roof mount, having used both styles extensively.

One nice thing about the CR-V is that the tail lights are mounted high on the vehicle. If you use the right platform style hitch mount bike rack, your bikes don't obscure the turn and tails much at all, compared to most cars. Also, the CR-V handles a hitch with 2" receiver, which is preferable to 1.25" if you haul more than 2 bikes.

Basically, the CR-V is just about ideal for hauling bikes with a hitch rack.

The roof rails for the CR-V are relatively pricey, and not that great anyway in my view. They force you to use the cross bars in a close together position. I prefer to be able to slide the crossbars fore and aft more, as you can do with a Forester or Rav, for example. Not a fan of the CR-V style.
Totally agree, basically I've had the same experience as you. Only I have not hauled bikes with our 2017, I use our 2004 to carry my bike to the trail about 3-4 times per week. If anyone is at all serious about hauling a bike more than once in a while, a hitch rack is the only way to go.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I will install a roof mount well i have a old bike mount. Will install with strap mounts and a metal wire chain with lock. I have a small low profile basket that attaches to the bike mount. I dont bike often so having to lift my bike up no problem. But the tow hitch sounds great as well. I rather use what i have. But if i was in the market and i biled a lot tow hitch sounds great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your input,
R
U-Haul installed a class 3 - 2" receiver hitch on my 2017 CRV for $140. I was going to order a hitch and install myself until I read how reasonable U-Haul was. I don't think it looks bad at all. I have used roof racks with fork mount trays in the past and find I prefer a receiver hitch platform style bike rack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI, I just noticed that Curt now has a hitch option up for the 2017 on etrailer's website. I think it must have just been released, as a couple of days ago the Draw Tite was the only option available. From what I can tell, the Curt is more hidden / aesthetically pleasing, if you care about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX-L FWD
363 Posts
FYI, I just noticed that Curt now has a hitch option up for the 2017 on etrailer's website. I think it must have just been released, as a couple of days ago the Draw Tite was the only option available. From what I can tell, the Curt is more hidden / aesthetically pleasing, if you care about that sort of thing.
Be aware though, you have to cut out a 3" square out of the lower fascia for it to fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That step may or may not be for models with the sensor for opening the tailgate automatically, I'm not sure. Either way, though, a non issue. It is super easy to trim a tiny piece of the fascia if need be. I've done it on several vehicles when mounting hitches before. You typically have to trim exhaust heat shields, plastic under body shields, and small fascia bits when installing hitches, it's quite routine. Piece of cake, really. A small coping saw, dremel tool, or exacto knife can be used quite easily depending on the material.

Edit: I ordered the Curt. I like the design of it slightly better than the Draw Tite. I'll post when I get it installed so that people can make a better decision on which one they like better, either way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have installed tow hitches on the last three cars(13 Honda Fit, 15 Subaru Forester XT, 17 Mazda 3 Hatchback) that I have owned because there is no way Im putting a muddy mountain bike inside my car. And the thought of trying to lift my bike on top of the roof would likely throw out my bad back. I have used e trailer.com and have had great results with the Draw Tite hitches. They don't look the best, but I don't have to use a tie down strap like with the Curt hitches. They each cost around $100 and were pretty easy to install. I use a platform Thule bike rack and it has hauled two bikes over several hundred miles on road trips with no issues. It takes me about 30 seconds to install/remove the bike rack when I know that I won't be riding for extended periods of time.
I would install a tow hitch on my wife's 17 Touring but she doesn't want to use her vehicle to haul the bikes, which is fine with me, I like driving my other new car a lot.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,644 Posts
Also look on Craigslist for used units sold usually at half new cost

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I just put a Curt 13555 on my '09--all I had to do was chase the threaded holes in the body with the correct tap to clean them out, drop the two rear exhaust hangers, and it was easy enough to bolt on. Had to enlist the floor jack to help hold it up while I attached a couple of nuts. (Tip--spray some lubricant on the exhaust hanger hooks so they slide right off.) I would imagine the '17 CR-V has bolt-on options as well. Yeah it's an ugly looking thing as they all are, but it's a necessity. I've ordered a receiver cover with the "H" logo to cover it up somewhat. The etrailer.com site had the best deal and free shipping. The Curt looked to be the sturdiest.

I got it mainly for the bike carrier. I have a Thule 990XT platform-style rack. Not too impressed with the quality of some of it (some of the bolts are cheap--they strip way too easily), but made it work with different bolts. I used to put the bikes inside the '97 CR-V but that was a pain. The '09 has less room behind the rear seats, so that also worked against me. Now I can load up the bike and be on the road in three minutes. The ease of use is so much better than the trunk-mount rack I used to have for my Civic. And these new racks don't allow your bike to get beaten up like the old racks do. On a CR-V, I can' think of any other good way to carry a bike aside from using a hitch.

A friend of mine used to carry his bike on top of his Nissan Murano. Did it for years. But one day, in a rush, he tried to pull into his garage and forgot he had the bike on top... ;)

Being in boat country, now I'm looking at small jet boats I can pull behind it. They are below the maximum towing weight for the CR-V, and I only have a few miles to drive to the boat launch. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Honda CRV EXL Molten Lava Red
132 Posts
I saw this person using this today. Maybe he or she are members of the forum and can share what they're using:

View attachment 86874
looks like a small 1.25 hitch, can't zoom in any more. also looks like rack is same size. as it rides closer than my CRV with an extension on mine that puts rack out another 6 inches, because I have a 2 inch rack. I have the Honda tiny hitch installed. Not liking it but it would be foolish to take off and put a 2 inch hitch in place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Update. The Curt hitch from etrailer was on perpetual backorder with no ETA. They suggested the Draw Tite, which I settled for. Mistake. I've owned a number of Curt hitches on vehicles, nary a problem. Got the Draw Tite #76128 installed. Poor quality control. The 2" receiver box is welded on slightly crooked, canted clockwise. When I put my bike rack on, it leans to the right. Same rack on two other cars, level. It's the hitch. I'm ordering the Curt as soon as they are available and throwing the Draw Tite off a bridge somewhere. Messaged the vendor, no response. Toilet flushing sound of money down the drain. Oh well.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Darn, Draw Tite should have a good return policy especially for poor workmanship.

I'm holding out for the Curt as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think it's taboo, I've used a hitch bike rack on my 2010 Honda Insight for years. I'd think a CRV would be more capable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts