Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first issue with the car is when I was pulling out in reverse in the shifter knob wouldn't let me and would throw up the VSA and triangle exclamation mark light. After a few tries of pulling out, it would finally let me take off, but the VSA and triangle with exclamation mark would stay on. It's been like this for about two months.

(Problem number two is a no crank issue. This occurred last Monday. I replaced the alternator, ignition switch, battery prior in the past year. I'm saying this for more context) I was heading to the gym and tried to start my car and it wouldn't crank over. All the electronics worked radio, headlights, etc. I towed the CRV over to my buddy's shop and we assumed it was the starter because that's the last thing that hasn't been replaced in a while (5 years).

In the past week, we replaced the starter, terminals, checked the battery for life, and still couldn't get the car to crank over.

From doing a lot of research on the internet my best lead now is the starter cut relay. I've heard if that relay is bad it will not turn on the car.

Also, if anybody could help with the VSA shifting problem it would help a lot. My buddy that's a mechanic believes it had something to do with my front tire suspension. I want to also add it's about time I get new bearings, shox, brakes, rotors etc as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Went under the dash and replaced the starter cut relay still the same no crank problem. I'll be taking it back to my buddy's shop later today.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
262 Posts
Throwing parts at the vehicle in an attempt to fix the vehicle will get quite expensive.
Suggest a little research and troubleshooting.

Take a look at youtube and research how to test relays.
The starter relay socket has four pins.
Two become hot (has voltage) when key is turned to crank position.
The other two ... one goes to the park/neutral safety switch
The other goes to the starter. The one going to the starter is called the load side
The other is control side. Putting a jumper from hot to load side should crank engine.
Caution: I can't see on the schematic if the ECU is connected somehow to the control side
So, would say not to jump the control side or it might damage the ECU.
Do not do the relay by pass test if you don't know what you're doing

Could check the ignition switch to see if the yellow wire has 12 volts when in crank position
Then the starter relay socket should have two pins hot.
Could use a wire to the starter solenoid from battery + to see if the starter will crank.
If it does then control side issue.

Sometimes it could be something like corrosion of the battery terminals
which prevent the engine from cranking.
Not readily visible. Just clean the battery posts, cable terminals
and follow the neg cable to chassis ground. Clean also.
Locate engine grounding strap and clean those two points.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
262 Posts
VSA is vehicle stability assist. It is an offshoot of traction control.
Traction control deals with tires and it ability to maintain contact with the road.
This is done with the abs hydraulic control unit.
VSA can do this and it has the ability to limit the engine output
This computer controlled system helps keep the vehicle within the driver's control.
Making the vehicle go where you want it.

The only check that is given in the Haynes manual is to look at the ABS sensors
Someone told me the tone ring is actually inside the bearing.
So, check the sensors and the wiring. Replace if necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Traction control deals with tires and it ability to maintain contact with the road.
This computer controlled system helps keep the vehicle within the driver's control.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 CRV
262 Posts
Problem shifting transmission into gear?
Sometimes the button on the brake lever comes off and the brake doesn't register being stepped on
This in turn would prevent the shifter from moving.
Look at the floor and see if this tab is on the floor.
Then take a look at the brake lever switch.
Good luck. Hope it is something simple

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Ghost

Nearly every single VSA light/gear shifter (auto) & or brake light/VSA issue I've came across on CRVs has always boiled down to the brake control switch failing on the brake pedal. A £40/$60 part from the main dealer & patterns rarely have the same ultra fine contacts inside. Worth noting if you have a manual (stick) it's exactly the same switch that is on the clutch pedal & if need be in an emergency can be swapped temporarily to get you out of a hole. (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update number 3- Took the CRV to the dealer today and got back at 5 pm. According to the dealership the starter we put on it a week was faulty. The dealership replaced the starter with an OEM one from japan costing us $500 dollars. The total cost was $1100. Paying it out sucks, but driving it around this afternoon it seems like the car is back to normal.. The VSA light hasn't come back and I've been able to shift into reverse normally. I'll keep updating you guys if anything happens.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
262 Posts
That is unfortunate. Five bills for just the starter.
Guessing the rest was for the other things that needed looking at.
Well, hope that is all it will need for a long while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts