Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received today another notice of the Honda CR-V air bag recall for our 1998. The last time we received it was awhile back and it’s here again.

Even though it’s a free service we decide not to do it the last time as we didn’t want to go through the hassle of tying the car up at the dealer which is an hour away. Besides, we live very rural and don’t have near the traffic most of you folks have in the big cities.

I realize these are not legitimate excuses for not having it done but we’re going to pass on it this second time around. How many here are going for it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I figure I’ll do it for my ‘99. I procrastinated the last time and figured I’d lost the chance. The logistics won’t be bad for me, the dealer is in my normal driving area, and they make it sound like it could only take about 30 minutes . I’ll arrange a ride in case that proves to be untrue.

Craig makes a good point. Although I don’t drive it a lot, it’s my only transportation, and I have enough issues to worry about without that one. It will have to wait a couple weeks because I’ll be out of town, without the car. But I’m glad for the opportunity to correct my previous mistake. I don’t know how long I’ll have this car, but I’d hate to pass it on to someone else and have something bad happen due to my negligence, not to mention my own safety in the meantime. And I appreciate that it’s free.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s surprising you’re willing to drive around with a grenade aimed at your face. I had mine done a few years ago. I was concerned they didn’t include the passenger side airbag.
Thanks Craig and I get what your saying but it’s been driven around for 24 years now with no grenades going off in any faces. 🤪

Trust me on this......:oops: ......you never know when you will NEED your air bag. Been there done that!!!
When needed- you will not have time to think it through! o_O
Thanks Higgy Baby for your response and something to think about. I decided I’m going to call the Honda dealer which like I said is an hour away and see if I can make an appointment to have it checked out. If they say it will take a few hours or less to do, and if it needs new components and they have everything in stock, I’ll go for it. Thanks guys for your replies.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
We just received today another notice of the Honda CR-V air bag recall for our 1998. The last time we received it was awhile back and it’s here again.

Even though it’s a free service we decide not to do it the last time as we didn’t want to go through the hassle of tying the car up at the dealer which is an hour away. Besides, we live very rural and don’t have near the traffic most of you folks have in the big cities.

I realize these are not legitimate excuses for not having it done but we’re going to pass on it this second time around. How many here are going for it?
As long as you keep ignoring the notices, you will likely continue to receive them. I believe it is an NHTSA mandate.

You may live in a rural area, but that simply changes the event triggers for air bag deployment to trees, fences, wildlife, etc.. as trigger events.

More importantly, the airbag charges in your CRV are literally ticking time bombs that could fire off randomly and injure you or your passengers. Get them replaced.. for your own safety and the safety of your passengers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, thanks for all your replies! Since all of you have told me it’s a ticking time bomb, do it now! and Honda will keep pestering me until it’s done and other responses, I’ve been a rebel all of my life and have decided NOT to do it!

I like living dangerously and at my advanced age the thought of an airbag exploding in my face and instantly killing me sounds like a great way to go out! I just hope that when it does explode and takes me out, it doesn’t damage that much to my beloved ‘98 so someone else will be able to enjoy my baby.

NOT!!! Calling the dealer Monday! 😂

·
Registered
312 Posts
What you all don't know is, in the first recalls they just took out the old inflator and put a new one with the same nasty propellant back in. Now it is still the same stuff with a desiccant added to it.
NHTSA, wasn't going to do a thing about that until I suppose a few folks had something happen to them from the new addition of desiccant. Not enough time yet I guess for the desiccant to become water logged and then the other stuff. Air bags are a toss of the dice. Even if they don't throw metal in your face they can still kill a small person or an over weight person that is too close to it, like stomach almost on the steering wheel. The moral of this story is you really don't know if the new parts from the recall are any less dangerous than what you already have. But yes do the recall.
Those inflators are like many things engineered today, zero thought process used. They all need to be made from thick strong steel not a tin can like they are. And they all need an over pressure protection valve like any DOT allowed container like a propane tank has, it is pure idiocy that they don't. And that valve port needs to exhaust away from the drivers face. There is absolutely no excuse for the dangerous air bag inflators that exist in every car or truck now that has airbags. The recalls have fixed nothing. Why? its the same thin sheet metal tin can they are all made from.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
What you all don't know is, in the first recalls they just took out the old inflator and put a new one with the same nasty propellant back in. Now it is still the same stuff with a desiccant added to it.
NHTSA, wasn't going to do a thing about that until I suppose a few folks had something happen to them from the new addition of desiccant. Not enough time yet I guess for the desiccant to become water logged and then the other stuff. Air bags are a toss of the dice. Even if they don't throw metal in your face they can still kill a small person or an over weight person that is too close to it, like stomach almost on the steering wheel. The moral of this story is you really don't know if the new parts from the recall are any less dangerous than what you already have. But yes do the recall.
Those inflators are like many things engineered today, zero thought process used. They all need to be made from thick strong steel not a tin can like they are. And they all need an over pressure protection valve like any DOT allowed container like a propane tank has, it is pure idiocy that they don't. And that valve port needs to exhaust away from the drivers face. There is absolutely no excuse for the dangerous air bag inflators that exist in every car or truck now that has airbags. The recalls have fixed nothing. Why? its the same thin sheet metal tin can they are all made from.
Your opinions on inflator design and needs is noted, but is speculation presented as fact.

My wife's 2013 Accord was in a collision and all the airbags fired. She was the only occupant. The sum total of her injuries was a very small first degree burn on her right hand (which was on the steering wheel) and was from the side porting of hot exhaust gases from the inflator. NOTHING was pushed at her body or face in any way. Everything worked as intended. Of course here Accord was not subject to airbag recall, so my context here is a real world example of proper airbag deployment.

The inflators exploding in a non-collision is due to the amonium nitrate crystals becoming unstable due to moisture ingress over time. Once unstable, the explosive characteristics of the amonium nitrate can exceed design specifications, which is what lead to injuries from metal fragments. It was a much more hazardous issue in humid locations, which is why many vehicle manufacturers put first priority in the recalls based on 1) age 2) owner geographical location.

Most recalls were very long and protracted due to shortage of corrected inflators. I am NOT aware that at any time Takata's were replaced with the same exact model and design. I don't think NHTSA would even allow that. Motor vehicle companies (regardless of Takata's position) would not want the liability this would create.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Many of the replacements are now being recalled. Isn't that why this thread was made? I'm so glad all worked good for your wife.

It did not work good for this person. And while reading do note this statement. Sorta points to what I have mentioned above.

A BMW report to NHTSA in 2017 reported the inflator was susceptible to rupture due to impaired gas flow causing excessive internal pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts