Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hated to start a new thread, but my issue with the engine of our 2017 CRV seems to be a little more advanced than what I’ve read about so far. This could be terribly important to present and potential future owners and I didn’t want it buried in one of the longer threads.

Purchased our 2017 1.5 turbo CRV last August from Berlin City Honda in Portland, Maine. My wife drives 40 miles each way to/from work and we wanted something with all-wheel drive for the rugged Maine winter months. Like most of you, I did a ton of research and after a few test rides we decided on the Honda.

I have to say for the first 5000 miles we were thrilled with this vehicle. Gas mileage was in the mid 30’s and life was good. At this point we had the dealership do our first oil change (I’m not sure of the significance of this fact, but it may be important. And yes, I did check the oil level and it was fine). At approx. 6000 miles I started to hear engine noises from within the cabin. Kind of a low frequency vibration like humming noise. Didn’t notice when engine was cold, but it came on as the engine warmed up and it was more pronounced at idle, like when sitting at a stop light. I also started to hear a ticking noise from the engine standing outside with the hood open. I called the dealership and was told not to worry, they'd look at it next oil change. At 7000 miles the noises were getting worse, so I had the dealership take a look. This is their findings verbatim;

“” CONFIRMED CUSTOMERS CONCERN OF NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE. HONDA MOTOR CO RECOGNIZES THIS ISSUE AND ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A COMPUTER SOFTWARE UPDATE TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE. THE ISSUE BEING THE FUEL INJECTORS ARE PUTTING TOO MUCH FUEL INTO THE CYLINDERS AND THE FUEL IS GOING PAST THE PISTONS AND INTO THE OIL, WHICH IN TURN IS CAUSING THE OILS VISCOCITY TO THIN AND IS CAUSING A NOISE WITHIN THE VALVES OF THE ENGINE. CAN NOT REPAIR AT THIS TIME, HONDA IS IN THE PROCESS OF CREATING AN UPDATE””

My first thought when I read this was WTF Honda (I hadn’t checked the web yet for known issues, so I was totally blindsided). I voiced my horror to the service manager and he told me the vehicle was 100% safe to drive as is and no damage was being done to the engine (this was what Honda was telling the dealers). That was it, see you later… when Honda issued a recall/update I would be notified.

I immediately took the vehicle to my own mechanic and after reading the report and listening to the engine, he said he was surprised Honda allowed me to continue to drive as is. He feels the engine has probably already been compromised and the long term damage was something to be very concerned about, even if a “fix” was to be found in the future. I'm now afraid to drive it, so it sits in my driveway waiting for a solution from Honda/dealer.

I've issued a complaint with both the dealership and Honda America, documenting everything to the tee. I want it returned for a full refund as I’ll never feel comfortable driving it again. I can only imagine the $hitshow I’d be involved with if something catastrophic happened once out of warranty.

I’ll be meeting with the dealer and the local Honda rep next week to discuss the situation. I’ll report back on how that goes. That said, if anyone has any thoughts on what my expectations should realistically be, please feel free to chime in. My wife is literally sick to her stomach over this, as am I, and I’m hoping the dealership and Honda really step up and take care of us.

Thanks - All comments and words of encouragement welcome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on this post as well... my dealer said the car is fine, oil is to spec (smells of fuel), I didn't get a note on my file like yours though. They confirmed that I would be notified when/if the recall goes into affect. The service advisor was well aware of the recall and was quit informative. Us owners of the CRV/Civic 1.5T will no be ignored, Honda is sure to take care of this, how I am not sure, I already have a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Wouldn't it be nice if they slap in the 2.0L Turbo engine from the Accord? Would it even fit?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No this is not acceptable. I am due for my first oil change in a month and will be doing an oil sample as part of my maintenance. If this is going to be an issue then an extended warranty would be the only way I keep this vehicle past 60k miles.

There is no way in hell I'm letting the oil go longer than 5,000 miles. It's just not worth it until we get more long term data on this.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on this post as well... my dealer said the car is fine, oil is to spec (smells of fuel), I didn't get a note on my file like yours though. They confirmed that I would be notified when/if the recall goes into affect. The service advisor was well aware of the recall and was quit informative. Us owners of the CRV/Civic 1.5T will no be ignored, Honda is sure to take care of this, how I am not sure, I already have a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Wouldn't it be nice if they slap in the 2.0L Turbo engine from the Accord? Would it even fit?
The 2.0L Turbo would fit under our hood easily. There is a ton of space around the 1.5T.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 2.0L Turbo would fit under our hood easily. There is a ton of space around the 1.5T.
Now that would be acceptable... I have 18k on mine, and with this thin oil bs, I would much rather get a new engine than having to deal with an engine that has been using thin oil for 18k probably 20+k km before a fix comes out...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Now that would be acceptable... I have 18k on mine, and with this thin oil bs, I would much rather get a new engine than having to deal with an engine that has been using thin oil for 18k probably 20+k km before a fix comes out...
Dream on. With all due respect to those with this issue, Honda WILL NOT replace your engine with a 2.0L.......

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I agree with JB from AZ.
The best you might get from Honda is an extended warranty on your current engine, and whatever fix they come up with applied to your current engine.

Now whether Honda changes the CR-V to a different engine in future models is a completely different discussion.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bet that dealer and SA got (or will get) their hand-slapped for the write-up. Protect it like it is gold. :)

Yes, the oil change is very important. Some questions, if you don't mind?

1) Was the 1st 5k oil change a MM alert? Or did you noticed something? Or just a proactive winter oil change? Other?
2) Is the 80 mile RT trip at highway speeds? Or other?
3) Did you also have the reported cold cabin concern?
4) Did you use the "ECO" button? And "D" transmission mode? Or "S"?
5) Does even now the oil dipstick level looks normal now too? Or just the first oil change? Very important, BTW.
6) Regular gas or higher grade?

Thanks, just looking for some patterns.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
No way are they ever going to replace engines. Heck they cannot even process airbag changes in a timely manor.
Most of these complaints are on 2017 models, it makes me wonder if they have not already fixed it but are waiting for more data to come in from 2018 owners to see if the fix works properly. I got a very aggressive survey from Honda in my email box a few weeks after buying the car, they even emailed me two more times to remind me that I had not filled out the survey yet.

As for the OP's specific case, we have several forum members who have gone way past 7000 miles with a 2017, so it's not like this problem is happening with every vehicle. I certainly believe it's unacceptable to just tell a person there is no fix and leave it at that. If it was me I would start to file a complaint via the Lemon Law and force their hands for a refund.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bet that dealer and SA got (or will get) their hand-slapped for the write-up. Protect it like it is gold. :)

Yes, the oil change is very important. Some questions, if you don't mind?

1) Was the 1st 5k oil change a MM alert? Or did you noticed something? Or just a proactive winter oil change? Other?
2) Is the 80 mile RT trip at highway speeds? Or other?
3) Did you also have the reported cold cabin concern?
4) Did you use the "ECO" button? And "D" transmission mode? Or "S"?
5) Does even now the oil dipstick level looks normal now too? Or just the first oil change? Very important, BTW.
6) Regular gas or higher grade?

Thanks, just looking for some patterns.
Whatever the fix is I will guarantee the EPA will have a part in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Whatever the fix is I will guarantee the EPA will have a part in it.

Which may be a BIG part of the time it is taking to roll out that fix.

EDIT: and welcome, dyno_dave!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which may be a BIG part of the time it is taking to roll out that fix.

EDIT: and welcome, dyno_dave!
I'm going to guess based on my 30 years of working on powertrains at various US auto manufacturers that this is an evaporative emission system problem. Since it appears to occur exclusively in cold climates I'll venture a guess condensation is freezing inside an evap line therefore plugging it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going to guess based on my 30 years of working on powertrains at various US auto manufacturers that this is an evaporative emission system problem. Since it appears to occur exclusively in cold climates I'll venture a guess condensation is freezing inside an evap line therefore plugging it.

It certainly isn't exclusive to cold climates, I am in North Carolina which I wouldn't consider cold and I have the issue. It might be worse in cold climates but its not exclusive.

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
No way are they ever going to replace engines. Heck they cannot even process airbag changes in a timely manor.
Most of these complaints are on 2017 models, it makes me wonder if they have not already fixed it but are waiting for more data to come in from 2018 owners to see if the fix works properly. I got a very aggressive survey from Honda in my email box a few weeks after buying the car, they even emailed me two more times to remind me that I had not filled out the survey yet.

As for the OP's specific case, we have several forum members who have gone way past 7000 miles with a 2017, so it's not like this problem is happening with every vehicle. I certainly believe it's unacceptable to just tell a person there is no fix and leave it at that. If it was me I would start to file a complaint via the Lemon Law and force their hands for a refund.

Rob
just like in China. Not everyone driving a 2017 CRV had oil dilution problems and the ones with problem were primarily in the northern parts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with JB from AZ.
Now whether Honda changes the CR-V to a different engine in future models is a completely different discussion.
I think if this gets any traction in the media in the states, you can pretty much bet Honda will have an 'all new redesigned' CR-V with a new engine for '19 to help push past any gen 5 stigma.

VW replaced cars... and yeah I doubt Honda would do that, one can dream...
VW plain out lied - I think at this point all you can say about Honda on this is just incompetence and maybe a lack of urgency to deal with the problem. But I guess we'll have to see. I do agree that the best we can hope for is a quick fix and maybe an extended warranty. Looks like I'll wait before buying the extra warranty to see what happens.

This reminds me of when our Sony camera would overheat and shut down. We got a firmware that just let the camera go longer heating up before shutting down - the fix. Wouldn't put it past the bean counters to just give us all new dipsticks with a higher upper limit dot; problem solved...

·
Registered
7 Posts
It certainly isn't exclusive to cold climates, I am in North Carolina which I wouldn't consider cold and I have the issue. It might be worse in cold climates but its not exclusive.
That's good to know. We just purchased a used 2017 for my wife and she discovered these threads and is freaking out. I'm hoping that I don't see this problem since the car is kept in a heated garage.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
That's good to know. We just purchased a used 2017 for my wife and she discovered these threads and is freaking out. I'm hoping that I don't see this problem since the car is kept in a heated garage.

I would not worry, the users on this forum represent about .01% of the cars sold and of that user base only a small fraction are having an issue. Product based forums are just places that people find to air out problems and look for solutions so it's no surprise that 80% of the posts involve problems. Have fun and enjoy your CR-V.

Rob

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
181 Replies
61 Participants
Carbuff2
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing