Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the first infamous self-driving crash was the Tesla that broadsided the transport truck in California, killing the driver (who wasn't paying attention). The next big crash in history involving self-driving cars, the first involving two cars? A CRV and a Volvo (the latter being an Uber self-driving car):

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331542&print=yes

Yes, the CRV driver was clearly at fault. But there are some interesting questions arising regarding the behaviour of the Uber Volvo, both just before and just after the crash.

Peter

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would argue otherwise...

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331542&print=yes
Yes, the CRV driver was clearly at fault. But there are some interesting questions arising regarding the behaviour of the Uber Volvo, both just before and just after the crash. Peter
From reading the entire reports of the CR-V driver and the Uber driver, it seems clear to me the CR-V driver carefully observed the conditions of the roadway, proceeded with great care, and was entrapped by a vehicle traveling at a speed far in excess of that reasonable for the conditions at the moment and unable to detect her approach, proceeded onward after impact as though nothing had happened, and careened through the intersection at speed taking out a light pole and two other vehicles, instead of merely stopping!

NO! This is totally the fault of a defect in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) software incorporated in the autonomous vehicle supposedly able to determine driving conditions that totally failed in this case!

A side note, Driverless Vehicles will NEVER be safe on our roads unless they are the only vehicles on the road; AND, there is a central control in contact and control of every one. Even one vehicle not under central control will make the operation deadly!

It is extremely fortunate this crash was not deadly, which it surely would have been but for the extreme care of the driver of the CR-V, who should be commended for her caution!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO! This is totally the fault of a defect in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) software incorporated in the autonomous vehicle supposedly able to determine driving conditions that totally failed in this case!
I wonder if the CRV driver would have been at fault as determined by the police if everything was the same except the Volvo was not driver-less?

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts