Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove over to a friends house in my 2009 CR-V EX, pulled into his driveway, turned off the engine, set the parking brake and went inside. A few hours later I got in my vehicle to leave, released the parking brake, started the engine, put the gear in "Reverse" and backed into the street. Then I put the car in "Drive" but a s I started to drive away, my car felt like I had left the parking brake on, or was driving with the brakes pushed partially down. My speed was no more than 20 MPH. I was nearly 10 miles from my home, so I knew I could never safely drive it there. Luckily an auto repair shop was less than a mile away. I drove in and told a mechanic about my problem. He sent a mechanic's helper to drive the car around the lot and then verified my problem. Since it was late in the day, the mechanic said he could not look at it until tomorrow. I agreed and gave him my contact information. He then asked me to pull my car into a secure overnight parking lot. As I backed out of the space I was in and then put it in "Drive", I could not feel the resistance I had just encountered 10 minutes before. I then drove around the block and it felt normal. So I drove back to the repair shop and told him I was going to chance the drive home (even in rush hour traffic.) He said that he had a wrecker so if i got stranded to call him and he would tow me back.

Bottom line, I drove home just fine, and there was no hint of a sign that anything out of the ordinary had occurred. Naturally, I am now concerned that I may be out at night or in some unsavory part of town and have the same thing happen. Up to this point, my 2009 CR-V EX (with 43,000 actual miles) has been maintenance and problem free. This is the first occurrence of anything even approaching a car problem. Has anyone ever had a similar experience or could you either explain what may have happened, or even venture a guess? Also, do you think this is worthy enough of a trip to my local Honda dealership to check it out? I appreciate you helping troubleshoot what may have happened and the likelihood it will, or could, happen again. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To 13CRVEXLKC - Excellent idea. I agree, and will heed your advice. Thanks for responding...very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like one of the emergency brake cables got stuck. Backing up can help them release, but if the cable is going bad it will happen again. If you suspect this again you can feel the temperature of the wheels. Normally driving and braking will make the wheels warm. When the cable is stuck one or both wheels will be very hot (be careful)! For best results remove rear hubcaps, e brakes on rear wheels only.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agreed with all of the above. If you have rear disc brake the ebrake system seizes on these and won't release.

Our Hondas have had this problem for years and Honda seems to have no interest in a fix.

By contrast my 1999 has perfectly goo rear drum brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts