Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a Jack lift point on the front and rear of the car. And one by each wheel. When lifting the car in the front to put jack stands, how can I lift the car without scratching the front center mount point and therefore potentially generating rust?

Normally, for added safety I put chokers around the rear wheels. I also set the eBrake and put the wheels under the car by the rocker panels. But the car is too high and I don't think the wheels under the rocker panels do me any good. Any idea for a second layer of safety for when the car is on jack stands?

This is all in planning for my upcoming oil change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You can cut a wood disc and set it in the cup of your jack's lift plate.

The point of the wheels under the rocker panels is to keep the car from squashing your head. If the car is high enough off the ground that it doesn't actually contact the wheels should it fall off, it won't squish your head either, although it will scare the bejeezus out of you.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There isn't enough clearance on the '17 without raising the vehicle? It is doable on the '15.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can cut a wood disc and set it in the cup of your jack's lift plate.

The point of the wheels under the rocker panels is to keep the car from squashing your head. If the car is high enough off the ground that it doesn't actually contact the wheels should it fall off, it won't squish your head either, although it will scare the bejeezus out of you.
Good idea. But won't it slip? I was thinking a thick towel... i won't be under the car when it's on the jack so I guess slipping isn't the worst thing in the world.

The head-crushing is two-fold. If I remove the front tires to put them under the rocker panels then they're useful because otherwise the car can crush my head without the wheels on the car. If I leave the wheels on the car I can still be crushed because the suspension will compress on the fall. So I think wheels off under the rocker panels is the best idea.

Do cars actually fall off of jack stands? Holly crap. What if I buy two additional jackstands and set them right behind the other ones. They won't be lined up with lift points so damage will occur but at least the chances of four jackstands failing (or two on each side failing) is minimal.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If you are worried about the jack slipping off a wooden block, you can maybe staple a tire scrap or a cut-up inner tube to it? I don't think towels would provide much grip.

And the whole point of putting the front wheels under the car is to protect you if the car falls off the jackstands. Why else would you do it? That said, it should be really unlikely if you brake and chock the rears. A second pair really won't help much because if the car is sliding enough to fall off of one pair of stands, it's not likely to be caught by the next.

For me, I brake and chock the rears, raise the car, raise the stands, lower the car until the weight is on the stands, but I leave the jack in contact with the lift point. Then the front wheels go under the car if I'm doing something that requires pulling them. With a pair of stands, the jack, and the wheels, I feel pretty safe.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sirwired. That's all very helpful. Luckily, it turned out the oil was changeable without needing to lift the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts