Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Honda CR-V leads the Compact SUV category. The Honda Fit also lead the subcompact category.

A couple of laughable leaders were the Toyota Prius in the compact category and the Ford Freestar in the minivan category. The Freestar has been discontinued and never offered most of the content of the competition. Less feature = less to break. I drove a Freestar, compared to an Odyssey it was a piece of junk. Our friend sold it last year. The A/C and transmission were failing and het suspension clunked like an old pick-up.

Another segment winner was the Chevy Monte Carlo in the "sports car" category. What a joke. A 2 door version of the Impala, with it's 10-20 y/o technology. Does GM even make this car anymore? If Honda took a 2000 Accord Coupe and only made cosmetic changes for 10 years, they too could have a vehicle with segment leading dependability even with the newer 5 speed automatic.

Land Rover, VW, Mini and Jeep wear at at the bottom of the list as usual.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1135149&icid=autos_1367&GT1=22010

·
Registered
158 Posts
No more Monte Carlo. Ditto for Buick Regal/Century which made the list, too.

I think JD Powers just asks "have you had any problems with your vehicle?" A yes/no answer. Not like Consumer Reports which segregates various systems on each vehicle. But if the two ratings coincide, you're likely to do better.

The most foolish is the JD Powers initial quality survey which asks the same question at 90 days of ownership. I would hope that new car buyers don't have problems in that short time period. I pay no attention to that one since it has little, if anything, to do with reliability and durability. That "award" just gives automakers something to crow about. For all I know, Yugos were great in the first 3 months of ownership as they hadn't rusted through yet or eaten their piston rings, valves, synchos, etc.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No more Monte Carlo. Ditto for Buick Regal/Century which made the list, too.

I think JD Powers just asks "have you had any problems with your vehicle?" A yes/no answer. Not like Consumer Reports which segregates various systems on each vehicle. But if the two ratings coincide, you're likely to do better.

The most foolish is the JD Powers initial quality survey which asks the same question at 90 days of ownership. I would hope that new car buyers don't have problems in that short time period. I pay no attention to that one since it has little, if anything, to do with reliability and durability. That "award" just gives automakers something to crow about. For all I know, Yugos were great in the first 3 months of ownership as they hadn't rusted through yet or eaten their piston rings, valves, synchos, etc.

The inital quality survey looks are various types fo defects, but it treats minor cosmetic defects the same as major mechanical problems. But it gives and indication of how well constructed, designed and assembled the vehicle is. It checks panel gaps, paint blemishes and things of that nature.

Dependability can be a mixed bag. It can also be biased by a buyers expectations and what type of use a vehcile sees. It never suprised me that certain models score well. The Buick Regal and Lacrosse and purchased in large numbers by serniors that might only drive them a couple thousand miles a year at most. It helps your vehcile dependability when your customer doesn't put many miles on the product.

But I think altogether, combined with Consumers reports, it gives the consumers some useful infomation to help differentiate the manufacturers. Most improtantly, those consistently near the bottom of the list, might be vehciles to avoid, unless you like spending time at your dealer. Jeep (or almost any Chrysler product for that matter) Land Rover, Mini. Are ones ot watch out for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.