12. Cadillac (131)
  13. Hyundai (132)
  14. Kia (132)
  15. Audi (136)
  16. Nissan (136)
  17. Acura (139)
  18. Honda (139)
  19. Ram (140)
I really haven't had any real issues w/the 3 Hondas I've owned. of a few things wrong, they can happen w/any make.
But I'm not surprised at the low ranking. Just my opinion, feel Honda's lost their way and depend too much on brand loyalty instead of being the head of quality and innovation.

Registered
VW, BMW, Audi, and Nissan all ranked higher? I'm not buying it. They also don't put any weight into severity of problems. I'd rather have a more likely Acura/Honda infotainment issue than a less likely Nissan CVT or Hyundai/Kia catastrophic engine failure or spontaneous combustion issue.

Registered
Not surprised. Although there will be for sure a parade of people here claiming their Hondas are great, no doubt starting a nasty argument here, I can only comment on this based on my experience with 4 Hondas so far. I have owned 2 Accords, and 2 CR-Vs, and by far, this 2018 CR-V has been the worst experience for me in terms of car ownership. They are finally replacing my driver's seat tomorrow (since day 1, car sounded like an old couch with worn springs). I've had nasty suspension rattles (finally fixed with removing front 2 strut mounting caps), repeated gas smells in the cabin, and very poor cabin heat (I am talking about getting hardly any heat in -25C morning starts until forcing myself to get on a highway to heat up the engine, despite Honda Canada claiming the car is "working as designed").

And the reduced quality no doubt bled into their Customer support org - Honda Customer support is simply horrible. Nothing but lies from them and zero support.

Registered
Seems like Consumer Reports ratings are some what different than those JD Power ratings above. But then CR relies on owner surveys, buys whatever they test, never has advertisements or accepts money from advertisers. Does JD Power do that? Don't think so.

Registered
What are the latest CR ratings? Used to have a subscription years ago, not anymore.

Anyone know? It would be very interesting to find out if Honda is near where it used to be a decade or so ago. I think we all know at one time it was the best of the best. Does seem to have taken a turn for the worse in recent years...

Registered
What are the latest CR ratings? Used to have a subscription years ago, not anymore.

Anyone know? It would be very interesting to find out if Honda is near where it used to be a decade or so ago. I think we all know at one time it was the best of the best. Does seem to have taken a turn for the worse in recent years...

Registered
I wouldnt wipe a monkey's arse with anything that JD Power prints.

They might wanna look at the colossal failure rates of VW, BMW, Audi-doo-dee, Mercs and other German trash first over here in the UK.

In the last 10 years alone, I have lost count of how many of these so-called "premium" German trashcans I have seen on various British roads and motorways:

• With their bonnets up/steam pouring out at the side of the road/motorway
  • Various fires and other states of self immolation
  • Any other calamity
JD Power has as much relevance as the EU does for Britain - NONE! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
VW, BMW, Audi, and Nissan all ranked higher? I'm not buying it. They also don't put any weight into severity of problems. I'd rather have a more likely Acura/Honda infotainment issue than a less likely Nissan CVT or Hyundai/Kia catastrophic engine failure or spontaneous combustion issue.
Agreed and chevrolet lol
My neighbors equinox gas pedal FELL OFF on an equinox with 18,000 miles!

Registered
I think this is less about Honda "slipping" in quality and more about the other brands doing better over time.

It is a very competitive market, and the drive to beat competition on "quality" is a hot marketing goal.

However, as you noted....what is not shown in these rather narrow range of defects per 100 vehicles... is the nature and severity of said defects... and that largely invalidates this list in my view.

In addition, looking at this by "brand" is misleading to the consumer. Why? Because most brands have some standout vehicles, and some turkeys. So.. the CR approach... by model, by year, and with their beholding to nobody because they buy their own test vehicles at random from dealers, and then do long term testing as well as customer surveys.. I'll take the CR baselines over any other source, at least at this point in time.

Makes a great "chew toy" in the forum for a few days though... so it does have entertainment value. :)

Registered

Cannot compare well actually... because....

CR does NOT really rank and rate by brand, they do so by model and year. They do a brand top level view like JD Power.. but they do not put any real emphasis on it.. because models are more important to track than brands. So it's more about satisfying curiosity over any analytics.

They will also revise as the year or years progress... rather than a simple one time yearly snapshot, by model. Which is why CR online is better than CR magazine delivered to your home.. more current and up to date.

CR methodology and reporting is much better approach, in my view.

Registered
Ok, most of you have already seen this before so please FORGIVE the repeat:

What really surprised me ... where the "f#$%" is Subaru, my second choice?
Thanks much, knowledge is wisdom.
Acadia
Subaru appears to be having some real quality challenges at the moment. I'm sure this is due to rapid growth, and they will get it sorted out...but it will take some time.

CR still gives them high marks overall... and does not use defect rate per N vehicles as any sort of definitive metric for or against a model, much less an entire brand. Defects per N vehicles simply does not tell a true story about any model vehicle. It is one component in the equation of evaluating and rating vehicles.

Registered
The most dependable brands (problems per 100 vehicles):
  1. Genesis (80)
  2. Lexus (100)
  3. Buick (103)
  4. Porsche (104)
  5. Toyota (113)
  6. Volkswagen (116)
  7. Lincoln (119)
  8. BMW (123)
  9. Chevrolet (123)
  10. Ford (126)
  11. Mazda (130)
  12. Cadillac (131)
  13. Hyundai (132)
  14. Kia (132)
  15. Audi (136)
  16. Nissan (136)
  17. Acura (139)
  18. Honda (139)
  19. Ram (140)
I really haven't had any real issues w/the 3 Hondas I've owned. of a few things wrong, they can happen w/any make.
But I'm not surprised at the low ranking. Just my opinion, feel Honda's lost their way and depend too much on brand loyalty instead of being the head of quality and innovation.
More cry babies complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
I miss the days where manufacturers just let us die instead of issuing recalls and TSBs. GM ignition, Ford Firestone, etc.

Registered
repairpal ranks Honda high for reliability, with the crv being #2 in compact Honda and Acura are their top picks overall. Much different than powers and C.R.

Registered
This shows how good all vehicles are these days, I assume this is only initial quality...the long term stuff is much more important to me. 1 鈥漰roblem鈥 per vehicle? Bet most problems are related to the tech, phone pairing etc. Many 鈥減roblems鈥 may in fact be on account of owners not reading the manuals and not being tech savy.

Registered
First impressions count. Honda is below average in terms of quality within the first 90 days of ownership, when compared to other brands (industry average was 134 defects / 100 cars in that survey).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts