Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't listen to someone else's opinion. I bought my V because it fit my needs.

I have read in other places though that Nissan has recently topped Honda and even Toyota in reliability/quality/blah/blah/blah...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't listen to someone else's opinion. I bought my V because it fit my needs.

I have read in other places though that Nissan has recently topped Honda and even Toyota in reliability/quality/blah/blah/blah...
Nissan about to turn a loss shortly. They will lucky to not be bought out within 2 years.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
As usual, there is two sides to every story.

Pretty one sided. Nissan is in deep crap.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Pretty one sided. Nissan is in deep crap.
That's probably a good thing. A respectable company will buy them out and turn Nissan around. It's happened before. Nissan is way to big to simply fade away.

·
Registered
486 Posts
All I know is that after two years and 49,000 miles my 2018 Touring has been the most problem free (zero) and best vehicle I've ever owned and a great driving SUV.

My wife and I continually tell each other how happy we are with the first Honda vehicle we ever bought.

I had the same experience with Honda motorcycles.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
And in other vehicle quality news..... Toyota engine production quality issue recall:

Basically... no manufacturer seems to be immune from some very visible quality issues, not even the much adored by many....Toyota brand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And in other vehicle quality news..... Toyota engine production quality issue recall:

Basically... no manufacturer seems to be immune from some very visible quality issues, not even the much adored by many....Toyota brand.
At least manufacturers are much quicker to admit to problems and attempt fixes than back in the day, likely due to the power of social media.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
At least manufacturers are much quicker to admit to problems and attempt fixes than back in the day, likely due to the power of social media.
Depends on the nature of the defect, and it's severity.

Some defects pose real safety hazard to the occupants, as in this most recent Toyota case... possible engine fire. As such, these fall into the formal classification by NHTSA of "safety recalls" which require prompt action, communication, and recall by the manufacturer. When I purchased my 2017 CRV, about 30 days after taking delivery, I received a recall notice in the mail from Honda stating that a limited production number of CRVs had defective fuel feed lines installed, and that I needed to bring it in for a replacement under a safety recall (leaking fuel being a fire safety hazard). That was the fastest recall I had every experienced after taking delivery on a new vehicle.

Other defects, such as flaky head units or other electronics for example, are not a safety hazard in most cases, but a feature or manufacturing defect. These defects are handled with a lower priority of response and communications to owners and are handled through some form of product improvement campaign. In the case of Hondas... TSBs we all know about are the campaign method used byu Honda.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Honda used to be the last to do anything.
Last for factory air
Last to offer cruise control
Last to offer fuel injection on every car
Last to offer a V6
They used to let everyone else debug the innovations before offering them.

Now they forget any lessons learned by others.
Good GDI design requires at least 50% more engine oil capacity due to fuel dilution - Honda went 50% less.
Now they want to be first will every engine being turbo. Me - I had one - never again.
It is like Hybrids - what they were supposed to save in gas was eaten up 3x more with battery replacement just after warranty runs out. Heck - the battery was 50% gone at 24,000 miles but it was not a failure so no replacement.
New - got 58MPG in town - after 24,000 miles got 38MPG in town because the IMA battery life was mostly gone.
Worst navigation app - missing roads after 3 years and Google maps had them after 3 days.
The Radio / Smart Phone integration is pretty bad. No upgrades unless you go with aftermarket radios.

Yeah - I am surprised that Honda was not dead last. They can thank Fiat/Jeep for that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Isn't subaru recalling engines failure?
Isn't mazda recalling engines from the mazda3, mazda 6, cx-3 and cx-6 due to engine failure?
Isn't Porsche recalling engines for IMS bearing failure?
Isn't BMW currently being sued because of an engine defect that will make the 2/3/4 series engines to explode?
Isn't Nissan recalling many models due to them exponatenously combusting?

Yeah I call BS here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2015 CRV Touring was just totaled by my son. He is ok. The front end took the impact so for safety I rate it high. The shake when you are at idle was annoying.
State Farm sent us a check and I bought him a 2014 Ford Edge with very low miles and well maintained. Didn't feel the desire for another Honda.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The most dependable brands (problems per 100 vehicles):
  1. Genesis (80)
  2. Lexus (100)
  3. Buick (103)
  4. Porsche (104)
  5. Toyota (113)
  6. Volkswagen (116)
  7. Lincoln (119)
  8. BMW (123)
  9. Chevrolet (123)
  10. Ford (126)
  11. Mazda (130)
  12. Cadillac (131)
  13. Hyundai (132)
  14. Kia (132)
  15. Audi (136)
  16. Nissan (136)
  17. Acura (139)
  18. Honda (139)
  19. Ram (140)
I really haven't had any real issues w/the 3 Hondas I've owned. of a few things wrong, they can happen w/any make.
But I'm not surprised at the low ranking. Just my opinion, feel Honda's lost their way and depend too much on brand loyalty instead of being the head of quality and innovation.
This looks suspect to me too. I've owned Hondas since 1977 & I know their quality isn't the same as it used to be but lower than Cadillac & Nissan? That would be catastrophic. I know the CEO of Honda has publicly apologized for the quality problems and talked about their changed policies to address this but I can't believe that they've fallen that far.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Remember, all JDPowers does is run surveys AND give awards and if they didn't give awards, we wouldn't know who the heck they were. Had a friend working at another survey house and they made money by creating surveys to provide you with the results you needed. Just saying, 'your individual results may vary'.
PS: switched from a RAV 4 because it had 10 recalls in ten years of ownership.

The most dependable brands (problems per 100 vehicles):
  1. Genesis (80)
  2. Lexus (100)
  3. Buick (103)
  4. Porsche (104)
  5. Toyota (113)
  6. Volkswagen (116)
  7. Lincoln (119)
  8. BMW (123)
  9. Chevrolet (123)
  10. Ford (126)
  11. Mazda (130)
  12. Cadillac (131)
  13. Hyundai (132)
  14. Kia (132)
  15. Audi (136)
  16. Nissan (136)
  17. Acura (139)
  18. Honda (139)
  19. Ram (140)
I really haven't had any real issues w/the 3 Hondas I've owned. of a few things wrong, they can happen w/any make.
But I'm not surprised at the low ranking. Just my opinion, feel Honda's lost their way and depend too much on brand loyalty instead of being the head of quality and innovation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’ve owned many BMWs and VWs and call BS on this. I happen to also be a big bmw fan but they have never prioritized quality as a company the way the Japanese do. They have an entirely different design and build methodology

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lets just put this into perspective...

MOST of these issues tend to be with infotainment and climate systems and few of these lists ever explain this. Case in point is the Ford MySync systems. They were not good but they are not an actual quality issue with the vehicle. It is a crap Microsoft partnership that likely cost Ford more than it made them. They have since abandoned this. But otherwise, most of those Fords were perfectly fine vehicles for their owners.

The biggest issues with Honda right now are infotainment. And in every one of their vehicles except for the latest generation of the Accord. Beyond that, the issue with the 1.5T engines is the only real engine issue they have that is both not as wide an issue as some would like to make it and not at all addressed in a cohesive manner on the part of Honda.

And for the record, 5 Hondas over the last 25 years with over a million kilometers and counting across them and my grand total of in warranty issues is two. One was paint came off the roof crossbars on our 2010 CRV and the other was the infamous high pitch whistle from the AC in our 2017 Civic (That affects a LOT of the Civics of both hatch and sedan/coupe and in both 1.5T and 2.0NA). Out of warranty issues? Nothing on any of the vehicles until they were all over 120,000 kms. A couple bushings, an AC compressor, a condenser and that is really it until the older cars reached way up into the 200 to 300 k kms range where who cares really time kicks in.

Beyond this, everyone knows that Honda automatics (Hondamatics) can be hit or miss from time to time (Looking at you 2001 Civics and V6 Accords/Acuras) and that AC issues have plagued Hondas for decades in various models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple of months ago, my daughter gifted me with "the best car she ever owned" a 2009 CRV. now I can truly say that it is the best car I ever owned. Nimble, peppy, good heat and ac. Now I know why she hated to let it go. She told me this was the best year for Crv's.The car has 68k miles. and she took very good care of it. I continue to take very good care of it Took out the tray table and replaced it with an after market console. Replaced the radio with a Kenwood with phone and Bluetooth. Body shines like a new one. interior spotless. Why would I want a new one?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Couple of months ago, my daughter gifted me with "the best car she ever owned" a 2009 CRV. now I can truly say that it is the best car I ever owned. Nimble, peppy, good heat and ac. Now I know why she hated to let it go. She told me this was the best year for Crv's.The car has 68k miles. and she took very good care of it. I continue to take very good care of it Took out the tray table and replaced it with an after market console. Replaced the radio with a Kenwood with phone and Bluetooth. Body shines like a new one. interior spotless. Why would I want a new one?
Peppy? :LOL:

What did you drive prior? I agree with everything else, though. Our's had the infamous A/C clutch issue, but that was the only problem in the 9 years we owned it. Also, I believe Honda was number 2 back then in JD Powers rankings. Things have changed since then. The biggest change is that everyone else has upped their game. This is a good thing.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts