Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Edmonds has a “true cost of ownership” calculator. I chose a Porsche boxter and a Honda CR-V ex as examples, both 2017s. So the number 1 in reliability (Porsche) five year costs $11k in repairs and $15k in maintenance. The lowly #15 crv costs $2.5k in repairs and $6.3k in maintenance. Their calculator also shows depreciation and other costs. Interesting that the number one brand in reliability costs three times more than the number 15 for repairs and maintenance.
Why would you compare a family CUV to a Luxury sports car? The biggest factor, as far as maintenance goes for the Porsche, is going to be the multiple sets of tires needed to go the 75k miles, per your example.

Now, if you look at a Porsche SUV, say the Macan Turbo with Performance Package, you'll see a very similar overall cost ratio vs. the CR-V.

The 2017 Macan: $90k new in 2017 Maintenance costs show $11,600 and Repairs $9,400. So, $21k is 23% of purchase price, based on MSRP.
The 2017 CR-V Turing: $35k new. Maintenance costs show $5,750 and Repairs $2,350. Guess what? That $8,1k is also 23% of the purchase price.

I'm guessing the Porsche owner is having much more fun with their 23% cost, compared to the CR-V owner. :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
I'm guessing the Porsche owner is having much more fun with their 23% cost, compared to the CR-V owner. :)
Perhaps, but I'd be happier knowing my CR-V wouldnt crap out on me when I need it most.

Macan's, like most German trash, is only good for the warranty period - after that, CR-V is the slam-dunk winner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why would you compare a family CUV to a Luxury sports car? The biggest factor, as far as maintenance goes for the Porsche, is going to be the multiple sets of tires needed to go the 75k miles, per your example.

Now, if you look at a Porsche SUV, say the Macan Turbo with Performance Package, you'll see a very similar overall cost ratio vs. the CR-V.

The 2017 Macan: $90k new in 2017 Maintenance costs show $11,600 and Repairs $9,400. So, $21k is 23% of purchase price, based on MSRP.
The 2017 CR-V Turing: $35k new. Maintenance costs show $5,750 and Repairs $2,350. Guess what? That $8,1k is also 23% of the purchase price.

Good point about comparing a Porsche SUV to the CRV. Still, your example shows the repair cost as a percentage of vehicle cost is the same for the # 1 rated vehicle as it is for the # 15. My point is the actual dollar cost is much higher for the #1 brand. Either analysis makes me wonder about the validity if the reliability rankings.

The Porsche better be more fun to drive - it costs more to buy, depreciates faster and costs more for repairs and maintenance. My question is what makes it #1 for reliability?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Perhaps, but I'd be happier knowing my CR-V would crap out on me when I need it most.

Macan's, like most German trash, is only good for the warranty period - after that, CR-V is the slam-dunk winner.
Is this more of your British humor? :)

It's a given, people don't buy German luxury vehicles for their dependability. They buy them to drive. However, Audi has been making some pretty dependable vehicles that are sold in the US lately. Maybe what you get is not, but following the Audi forums, they have started to turn the page on vehicles like the Q5 that are assembled in Mexico.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's a given, people don't buy German luxury vehicles for their dependability. They buy them to drive. However, Audi has been making some pretty dependable vehicles that are sold in the US lately. Maybe what you get is not, but following the Audi forums, they have started to turn the page on vehicles like the Q5 that are assembled in Mexico.
You must not be from Cali. Here, even the homeless drive German cars because they wanna be in the "In crowd". It's all about stature here and less about the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Good point about comparing a Porsche SUV to the CRV. Still, your example shows the repair cost as a percentage of vehicle cost is the same for the # 1 rated vehicle as it is for the # 15. My point is the actual dollar cost is much higher for the #1 brand. Either analysis makes me wonder about the validity if the reliability rankings.

The Porsche better be more fun to drive - it costs more to buy, depreciates faster and costs more for repairs and maintenance. My question is what makes it #1 for reliability?
Driving a Porsche SUV is all about the "epeen" for the driver.

Driving a CRV is all about practicality in the form of low overall maintenance and repair costs while providing more than adequate performance and handling for normal commuter driving.

That said... they do serve entirely different markets, yet total cost of ownership does appear to be relevant to most owners.. even if they choose brand and performance over total cost of ownership. And the comparison between the two DOES demonstrate the general folly of doing brand ranking as a measure of reliability. It is a vague and amorphous metric at best, which simply feeds the human tribal nature of "mine is better than yours" memes. Which is precisely what your earlier link in this thread (post number 17 in the thread, by you) was much more relevant for the actual forum we all participate in here. (y) (y) I'll re-link it here for those who simply skipped it in their haste to chime in on the original ranked order list that started this thread. Honda CR-V Reliability - 2020 Ratings | RepairPal

·
Banned
524 Posts
Is this more of your British humor? :)

Not humour, but fact. With a dabble of laughter.

Audi in Europe, make anything but reliable cars. I often laugh when I see cars that arent even out of their warranty period either comatose on the hard shoulder of the motorway, or being towed or on fire at the side of the road.

So much for being "drivers cars". They arent. They overpriced garbage - much like eye-fones.

As for Mexico - woah, the UK got HR-Vs built from there - the amount of Friday-afternoon-mobiles that made their way here with their shocking build quality - its no surprise that the HR-V is not a big seller here. Not sure where the facelifted HR-V comes from now though....might be Japan like our CR-V's....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Say whut? VW and Caddy are usually bottom dwellers, along with Chrysler, anything British, and Mitsubishi. My top ten: Lexus, Porsche, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Kia, Buick, Subaru. In that order.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Say whut? VW and Caddy are usually bottom dwellers, along with Chrysler, anything British, and Mitsubishi. My top ten: Lexus, Porsche, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Kia, Buick, Subaru. In that order.
There you go everyone. The "Rambunkshuss" rankings are in. Honda has moved up to 7th! :ROFLMAO:

61 - 75 of 75 Posts