Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum but also new to Honda. I have done about 2 hours of research and cannot find the answers I am looking for so I thought I would ask here.

This is in regard to a 2000 USDM CR-V AWD with automatic transmission.

My transmission just went out and I thought about replacing it with a JDM one. I have also decided since I have the ability to I would replace the engine with a lower mileage JDM one as well.

My questions:
1. Do I need to get a JDM ECU (or ECM) for the engine to run correctly?
1.1. Would the JDM ECU correct the P0730 code you get when using a JDM transmission?
2. What all would I have to move over from my USDM engine/transmission for it to work correctly?
3. Is there any special thing I would need to do like bypass a sensor?

If this info is already available can you please just drop the link? I could not find the exact answers to my questions.

Thank you

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
You can make it work with a JDM ECU, but it's recommended to go with the USDM ECU (your stock one) due to emissions requirements where you live. Unless you don't have any.

Is there anything wrong with the old engine? You may be better off just getting the trans rebuilt and throwing it back in with the factory engine, they are pretty bullet proof.

JDM B-series (if I remember correctly, it's been awhile) do not have a knock sensor or crank angle sensor. There are some simple ways around them, but it takes some wiring knowledge. There are write-ups though, but not on this site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is nothing wrong with the engine other than I do not know it's history or the mileage on it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and since the transmission is coming out might as well pull the engine too.

A transmission rebuild here is $3,000. A JDM low mileage transmission is $450, so yeah.

I thought the high compression 2000 JDM engines did have the knock sensor.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
713 Posts
Hey man b20z2 from US is high comp. Compared to 97-98. Just the same as jdm
Idk why people keep talking about the b20 jdm being better than the z2 here in the US. It is not, if something the us version is just plug and play. No ck lights, no knock sensors to install or hack.
As for jdm being low miles... yeah right.
Look at the valve covers, the look worst than 150k miles engines from any local junk yard. My moms car has 80k and the engine looks like it just came out assembly line. So how can a US engine looks brand new with over 80k miles and a jdm looks like it's way past 150k miles....
But to each it's own.
Paper will hold anything you write on it. JMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.