Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Jdm k20 in an 05?

406 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  chidog
My 05 is an oil drinking dog and the clutch is slipping like crazy. Could rebuild current engine for prolly 500 but I don't have time. Place here in Ohio has k20s with 40k miles for 650. My question is - is this a direct swap? I can not get a straight answer. Of course jdm says it is. I've read that I have to get it tuned to straight up no it won't work. What is it? Has anyone documented doing it? This is literally my work beater car. I have got to the point I'm no longer changing the oil I'm just filling it up every 1500 miles or when it starts to act up. Funny thing is it dosent leak much and dosent smoke. I'm almost certain it's drinking it but I feel like I should be fogging for mosquitoes with as much oil as I'm going through. Thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,747 Posts
Have you done a compression test on your present engine? Have you cleaned out the PCV - very simple & quick to do?

Biggest question I would have is how do the engine / transmission mounts line up? Might need to take pics of present ride along with measurements, then compare with your k20.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I haven't done a compression test on it yet but I checked last night and I'm using about 4 qts per 1k miles. The k20 is supposedly the same engine with a different stroke? My biggest fear is that it all goes together fine get it in there and it won't run or runs like crap. K24 are only a few hundred dollars more but they haven't been in stock. I'm down for cleaning the pcv but I'm guessing I wouldn't be seeing that much loss from that would I? I really can not believe I'm getting zero smoke.

· Registered
505 Posts
Clutch slipping, maybe that is where the oil is going. For any engine swap use all the original wiring and sensors, etc. transplant to the replacement engine. Things that can be different from different years and models are tone rings, cams etc. So its best to use the correct engine.

· Registered
03 CRV
1,013 Posts
When I replaced my 2003 engine, I was also offered a 2.0. I declined and went with a JDM 2.4. Even though they said the 2.0 would fit and work fine, I wanted to keep things simple for the future. I didn’t want to have any difficulty searching for any future replacement parts. If going with the JDM 2.4, use the long block only. Swap over everything.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it looks like now that I'm only going to be able to get a 2.0 to keep from having a fortune in a new engine. Local junkyards want around the same price for 2.4s with unknown miles on them and who knows what the previous owner has done as far as service. Really wish someone out there has done the 2.0 swap. The places state that they are a direct swap, I just have to use my harness and intake. I will not be doing this other than for me and will prolly run it til there is nothing left to it. Not looking for a powerhouse just want to have an engine that uses fuel (reasonably!) and not oil! Be nice to change oil every 3k miles and there still be oil in it. Also would rather pull engine and tranny from the top since I don't have a lift in my new shop yet. Anybody have any luck on that? I saw it can be done just didn't know if anyone has any first hand on doing it that way. I've always pulled my civic engines that way and haven't had any issues.

· Registered
505 Posts
I saw a video where I think it was a 2009 or so, and the guy pulled just the engine out of the top, and left the transmission. That is the best way to go if you can, then don't have to fool with all the axles and all that. I have removed a few transverse non Honda engines that way, so much less stuff to disconnect etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts