Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When parking or steering at low speeds the car judders and almost feels like its gonna stall...Going along normal, steering is no prob..Checked engine mounts and steering fluid..Have not checked diff oil as I am not convinced that will be the reason..Any one got anythoughts on other areas that might need looking at??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Where are you located and what is the year?

What year is your V? How much mileage? Has it been doing this for a while or did it just start? Where are you located? Does it happen with the A/C on or off, or both?

Typical, you want answers and you get questions. It almost sounds as though you have a rough engine problem or low idle. You might try a different brand of gasoline.

Generally the rear axle makes noise on tight turns, when the fluid need changed.

If you have some mileage on vehicle and have not changed the rear axle fluid, it would be good to do. How much mileage? On the older models Honda specified 90,000 miles--and that was not reality. The generally accepted real figure was 30,000 miles. However on the 07s and 08s, the maintenance minder is calling for fluid changes between 15 and 20 thousand.

If you give some more information, some one here may be able to give you some ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miles is 85k..year 2001..No record on service book of fluid change.So I am gonna change fluid and see what that does for a starter.Then go from there:)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Excellent Start.

If it is making noise, you really should do a 3 X drain and fill, and drive in parking lot in tight circles after the first and second refills.

NOTE!!! You must use Honda Dual Pump Fluid. Do not use any other type of oil in your rear axle.

Also loosen the fill plug first. There have been reports of people draining the rear axle and then not being able to get the fill plug loose.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x3 fill.....? I'm being a bit stupid here...1/drain, fill, 2/ drain , fill, 3/drain, fill all with Honda dual pump fluid??????? What's the reason for doing that?
I'm in Northamptonshire in the good old UK..Nice to speak to someone accross the pond....

·
Registered
841 Posts
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF

If the description in the referenced TSB matches your problem, follow the corrective action described (or have it performed).

The 90,000 mile rear differential fluid change interval in your owners manual is incorrect. It should be 30,000 miles or less. This has been born out by practical experience and has been confirmed by Gen 3 MM intervals.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Drain... Fill... Burnish

x3 fill.....? I'm being a bit stupid here...1/drain, fill, 2/ drain , fill, 3/drain, fill all with Honda dual pump fluid??????? What's the reason for doing that?
I'm in Northamptonshire in the good old UK..Nice to speak to someone accross the pond....
As Tsmithvt stated follow the steps in the TSB. But essentially what you are doing is this:

First:

Drain the old fluid out.

Refill with new fluid.

Burnish. (If you are doing it your self with no lift, find an empty parking lot and drive the car in tight circles in both directions to exercise and burnish the clutch pack. This process liberates contaminates from the clutch faces.)

Second:

Drain the fluid out containing the contaminants from the above burnishing.

Refill with new fluid.

You can either test it as indicated in the TSB or repeat the above step. With your mileage and no indication that the fluid was changed and the fact that it may be making noise, I personally would repeat the above step for a 3 x drain and refill. Don't burnish on the third refill just perform the test as the TSB indicated.

You must use Honda Dual Pump Fluid. Nothing else.

So the quicky version:

Step 1. Drain. Fill. Burnish.

Step 2. Drain. Fill. Either test or burnish. (if burnish do step 3)

Step 3. Drain. Fill. Test.

Talking across the pond...isn't the internet great!!!! Good luck with your repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts