Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 CR-V Touring AWD.
Current mileage 4,800

This forum is lacking Trip Reports. With that being said…..

This is my first CR-V but not my first Honda. I did have access to a Gen-1 CR-V and used it for camping a few times and it worked well. Honda burned me with the first Civic Hybrid and I swore I’d never return but after a few Toyotas and the current VW Diesel that sits waiting for the buyback I purchased this CR-V at the end of April.

I plan on doing a North Rim/Grand Canyon camping trip near the end of September so for today I thought I’d stretch the CR-V’s legs a bit without the camping gear.

Headed up to Mt Graham in South Eastern Arizona. This entailed and hour plus of interstate driving, miles of rural agricultural roads and mountain driving with hairpin curves and rapid elevation gains.

On the highway the CR-V feels well planted and the road noise is much less than I expected from owning previous Hondas. The Dunlop tires that come equipped with the AWD model are no Michelin’s and I look forward to replacing them. Harsh and noisy on every imperfection on the road but on a smooth, flat section they aren’t too bad.

Finally figured out the Land Keeping Assist. On the interstate it allows the driver to relax just a little bit and not focus 100% on piloting the vehicle. I like it but I’m not too sure if it’s a good thing or not.

Navigation. This is one of the worst pieces of technology I have ever used. The safety nazi’s at Honda have the nav set to lock out any manual input unless the car is in park with the parking brake engaged. This also keeps the passenger from inputing any information. Honda has voice recognition with commands for navigation but it is absolute worthless. It throws me to states thousands of miles from where I am and even tried to send me to Canada, eh

The physical manipulation of the touch screen is comical. If I touch the screen or try to scroll and off it goes to some part of the map I didn’t want. If I want to look ahead on the map it’s anybody’s guess as to where the screen will stop. It can’t direct you to a city unless you input a specific address, meaning if I just want to head to a town for sightseeing I can’t get directions. I should be able to input a “city center” like other nav units from other makes.

How did this Navigation get the green light for production? Honda needs come up with a new software package that reprograms this turd into something useable. This, I feel, is the biggest downfall of this vehicle.

I was concerned about how the CVT world fare on a mountain road. Uphill I had no problem and it seems like the more miles I put on this car the smoother the transmission is getting. Downhill I had to use 2 and L or else I was going to overheat the brakes and launch into space. I would like to see a downshift flappy paddle that selects the 2 and L programmed points on the CVT. This would make driving a mountain road so much easier.

Another thing that bugs me but doesn’t affect the car is the trip computer. If I’m not mistaken it’s sample rate is every 1/8 mile which allowes the range value to have the drastic swings that it does. Mine can read a range of 330 miles then if I hit a grade for 2 miles it will read a range of 250 miles before I level out. The sample rate needs to be every 3 or 5 miles to get a more accurate and less volatile estimate.

I purchased the CR-V at invoice and while I still consider it spendy for what it is I am very pleased with my decision. I could have waited for the redesign rumored for the 2017 but I’ll never buy a first model year again. Since the Gen-4 is near end of production it should be quite bullet proof and I look forward to many years and miles with this car.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Loved your pictures and critique of the vehicle. I opted for the EX-L model ('15) and then purchased an extra nice Garmin model. No regrets! Yours is a fine looking set of wheels. Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
806 Posts
Enjoy that trip to the Grand Canyon. IMO, the South side is the more picturesque. A couple years ago my brother and I hiked 50 miles through the bottom. Funnest trip I have ever done and didn't see anybody for three days. Be prepared for all aspects of weather that time of year too, especially on the North Rim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great pictures! I opted for the same colour in Ex-L trim (2015). The ride honestly is pretty great. Really smooth. Enjoy your purchase I am loving mine!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Your pictures and narrative are OUTSTANDING !! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us !! On a trip to AZ one time, we turned off the Interstate on the West side of the Rocky Mtns and ended up in Arches National Park !! Also spectacular and stark at the same time !! Love that area of our country !! Craig PS: Prayers to all after last weeks events !!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have had to look hard with my last two cars to get the features I want without navigation. My EX-L has most of the features I want. I use a refurbished 5" Garmin with lifetime maps. They have the same warranty as a new Garmin and each one I get has better features than the one I replace. A remanufactured Garmin with lifetime maps runs around $100 delivered (some are a little more and some are a little less). The entire thing is around the cost of one update to a factory installed navigation and has both better features and is easier to use. The only downside is where to put it in my CRV. I made a stand for the front cup holder (my prior Kia Optima had a perfect place under the radio).

I like my CRV EX-L as it is but your touring has memory seats that I miss that my last car had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts