Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to the dealer and read the manual,,,,,but cant seem to find or no one knows...where exactly is the full mark....does anyone have a friend at the dealer that would let you check oil level on a couple brand new crvs that havent even been preped yet....mine for the last month hasnt moved but its at the top of the orange thing...is the factory overfilling them by accident..there are 5 spots on my dipstick to go by ,3 orange circles or the 2 retangle slots.....which is the cold full mark?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been to the dealer and read the manual,,,,,but cant seem to find or no one knows...where exactly is the full mark....does anyone have a friend at the dealer that would let you check oil level on a couple brand new crvs that havent even been preped yet....mine for the last month hasnt moved but its at the top of the orange thing...is the factory overfilling them by accident..there are 5 spots on my dipstick to go by ,3 orange circles or the 2 retangle slots.....which is the cold full mark?
Mine was full to the top rectangular mark when it came off the truck from Indiana when it was delivered. I picked it up three hours after the truck unloaded it. That was on January 31st of 2018 and it hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That top mark isn't the cold full mark. There is no cold full mark.

The top mark is the warm full mark, so you have to check the oil warm per the manual.

There are pictures showing a huge difference when you check your oil warm v. cold somewhere in the main fuel dilution thread if you want to see for yourself. There are too many posts there for me to want to dig it up myself.

Mine came overfilled from the dealer as well.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That top mark isn't the cold full mark. There is no cold full mark.

The top mark is the warm full mark, so you have to check the oil warm per the manual.

There are pictures showing a huge difference when you check your oil warm v. cold somewhere in the main fuel dilution thread if you want to see for yourself. There are too many posts there for me to want to dig it up myself.

Mine came overfilled from the dealer as well.
so first thing in the morning it should be higher then the top rectangle

·
Registered
63 Posts
so first thing in the morning it should be higher then the top rectangle
It will be higher when checked cold. The exact reading depends on how much oil you have. If you want to check if your oil is overfilled follow the manual's directions.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Change the oil and filter using the required amount as per the manual. Then start the engine, let idle for a couple of minutes, shut off and check the level after 3 minutes. Where it is on the dipstick at that time is the level for a warm engine. The next morning when the engine has not been run yet and is cold, check the level. That will be the level for when the engine is cold. Those findings will be your future reference indicators.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,465 Posts
Change the oil and filter using the required amount as per the manual. Then start the engine, let idle for a couple of minutes, shut off and check the level after 3 minutes. Where it is on the dipstick at that time is the level for a warm engine. The next morning when the engine has not been run yet and is cold, check the level. That will be the level for when the engine is cold. Those findings will be your future reference indicators.
Thank you for a very common sense posting. :Bow:

·
Registered
90 Posts
No discernable difference on mine hot or cold, not like the old automatic transmissions. My 2011 Forester however read a solid half a quart low if you put the called for amount of oil in at an oil change hot , cold or warm. I usually drive into work in the morning at 5:15 am and go out about 9 and check it every two weeks or so. It has not moved from that level up or down in three months. I am sure there are units out there with issues but I suspect they are a small fraction of those on the road. 2011 Foresters were all oil sucking lemons according to the forums. Mine never used a drop of oil between changes while I owned it.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
from owners guide>
Park the vehicle on level ground and wait approximately three minutes after turning the
engine off before you check the oil.
Remove the dipstick again and check the level. It should be between the upper
and lower marks. Add oil if necessary.

owners manual...
Park the vehicle on level ground and wait approximately three minutes after turning the
engine off before you check the oil.
If the oil level is near or below the lower mark, slowly
add oil, being careful not to overfill.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I will change the oil when its due...right now I have only 4071 Kilometers on it and I got it oct27 2017.. I have asked 3 HONDA TECHS and got 3 differrent answers....just wanted to know what mark its at when untouched by the dearler and has 0 k,s on it...funny thing is I have fired off 3 emails to Honda Canada asking this ? and they never reply

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe someone else mentioned this already, but I have found it is important to look at the valley on the orange plastic in very good light to see how high the oil is. The edges of the orange plastic tend to accumulate oil on them as you withdraw the dipstick giving a false impression that the oil level is higher than it actually is. The same goes for the top of the orange plastic where it meets the flat metal dipstick shaft.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always use a paper towel and roll the dipstick against the towel while keeping the relationship of the dipstick to the towel constant. That way the oil transfers to the paper and allows me to see a stain while, having not moved the dipstick, I can compare the oil level stain with the marks on the dipstick.

I test after getting gas. Allows the oil to warm and circulate and time for the 3 minute drain down.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
As stated before the oil level should be between the two marks. Honda dealers seem to overfill most of the vehicles all the way to the Top Mark.

Also as @Zico21 stated you have got to be careful when taking a reading. Unlike most vehicles this dipstick does not just go straight down into the oil pan, it rubs up against several metal parts as it is being lifted up. These parts will transfer oil onto the top of the plastic and parts of the metal rod. You need to look at the whole thing in very good lighting to see the actual level on the plastic. With older darkened oil its easy to see but with new oil it is tricky.

Rob

·
Registered
452 Posts
As stated before the oil level should be between the two marks. Honda dealers seem to overfill most of the vehicles all the way to the Top Mark.

Rob
An oil level at the top mark is not overfilled. It is at the maximum acceptable fill level. The lower mark is the minimum acceptable fill level. Anywhere between is the operating range.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Could not agree more with zico21, robbyg and 911medic with regard to the dipstick. It definitely bumps against/rubs on various areas when being removed which I think can give false "over max" readings.

This last oil change, I carefully measured and purposely refilled with exactly 3.5 quarts. Oil level is <1/8" below the max mark on the dipstick and the level is very easy to see on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
i might have missed this in the several oil threads.
just curious....
if you have found the oil above the top line, what does your maintenance display play in the dash? 100% or less than that?

·
Registered
452 Posts
i might have missed this in the several oil threads.
just curious....
if you have found the oil above the top line, what does your maintenance display play in the dash? 100% or less than that?
The maintenance minder oil life indicator has no idea how much oil is in the crankcase. It only knows when it was last changed (because it is told so by whoever did the maintenance), and does calculations regarding percentage (or mileage) of remaining oil life based on a number of factors.

The level is unrelated to what the MM shows.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts