Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 CR-V LX B20B4 Auto off of a friend for $200 bucks. Needs rear O2 sensor, upper right-front control arm/ball-joint, driver's door, windshield trim, complete rear driveshaft, and a S-E-R-I-O-U-S interior cleansing. What do you think I can sell her for in current condition or fixed up? I've checked the KBB & NADA, but I want real people advice...

Thanks,
-rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because you failed to mention

How many previous owners
How many previous accidents
Condition of the body
Condition of the engine and tranny
The Physical condition of the interior

and other minor details, one could only assume.

Although it's a buyer's market right now. It's only worth what someone's willing to pay. Though (depending on location) you could post it right now for 1200 and let someone talk you down. Of course that 1200 is from the pictures I drew in my head from your description.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pictures!

Let's see some awesome pictures!

I believe you'll have an easier and better time parting it out to earn money than pouring money into it to sell whole to earn money.

The bumper, grille, and rims (with or without tires) will already get you your $200 back.

If you just want to get rid of it, you could probably sell the whole thing as salvage for a few hundred more than you paid. There are potentially lots of good parts on it.

But still, let's see the V without a driver's door!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I've been a little lax on my response time...here's some details. I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

Miles: 180k
Previous Owners: 2?
Accidents: Unknown, but vehicle's appearance doesn't reflect any impacts.
Body: Scratches, dings, dents and couple small rust holes.
Engine and trans: Runs and drives like a dream, that's mostly why I bought it.
Interior: All in one piece, just dirty.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Where do you live?
We need pictures before we can form opinions but based on the mileage...here goes.

Do a worst case inventory of the parts cost.
Then figure out what all that time fixing and cleaning it up is worth.

Then double that figure just to be safe. Now see if you can get the $3k previously mentioned. My self I doubt that you can get that much with rust holes and so-so paint.

On the other hand once you part $500 worth of stuff the remaining value is only what the remaining part are worth if and when sold. You might not get any more buyers so the $500 is it plus the carcass you have to store somewhere. Is that a lot of effort invested for the $300 made parting it?

My if I had to do it over again opinion is to sell it as is and not waste your time. Put the time into school for instance. You will get more returns out of that.

Even with cleaned up like new paint I doubt you can get $3. At least not where I live. What is the market for CR-Vs with 200k miles where you live. That is the predominant factor.

Most people think that a car with 200k miles has one leg in the bone-yard.
They do not realize that with a little TLC there might be 50k-100k+ more miles left.

-Rg

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Rust holes are never happy, especially if you haven't looked at the bottom of the V yet. Make sure all the arms and everything are intact and not being eaten away.

Otherwise, pics would make your $200 investment look better if everyone could see its exact condition. Sometimes $200 is only worth it if it runs, and sometimes it's not even worth that, it depends. Unless it was a good buddy, and he was just being nice and needed $200 and planned on giving you the car anyway, then I wouldn't worry about it.:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quick Sell

Another thought is to fix it up/clean it up enough for a quick sell as someone's first car. My coworker's first gen V (second owner) passed 200k miles last year and is still running strong. If your's has ~20k miles left, that's at least 2 years of life left for, say, a beginner driver or a kid comming right out of college. I would have loved to have had my current V as my first car when learning to drive.

Rust does need sanding and panting (and coating), otherwise it just gets rustier. Handa has some small bottles of paint for cheap that do the trick. Sanding supplies are everywhere and this should take a few minutes per spot.

High mileage first gen Vs in my area range up as high as almost $10k asking. If you spruces yours up enough to get half, $5k ain't bad if you dropped $1k in to fix 'er up.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
High mileage first gen Vs in my area range up as high as almost $10k asking. If you spruces yours up enough to get half, $5k ain't bad if you dropped $1k in to fix 'er up.
$4,000 is alot for a car that does not have all matching parts. If you check out KBB I am sure that the price will not be able to be listed on a CRV. Any honda will have a high reasale value but any car that was recently a "junk car" or "Fix er upper" will be difficult to sell. It dosen't matter if the price is fair or not only if the buyer is willing to pay for it.

They are great cars. My V is my first car and it is the car that I first learnded hoe to drive on it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
KBB won't even give you a price if there is messed up or different colored body panels, because it's too low. A cr-v with that many miles in perfect condition over her is going for about $7,000

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have seen around $4,200 at the lowest. Mine is about $4,400 but if I count all of my mods and upgrades it gets up too $4,700. But it is an LX FWD the 4WD have a much higer value. The 97 V's go for a higher price than my 98 because they all came with 4WD standard:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts