Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says I bought the car today and it has the 1.5 L turbo engine. With it being a Honda I didn’t give much thought to it having an engine issue. Well after we got it home I just decided to look and see how that engine was and all I saw was a bunch of stuff about how bad the engine was with the gas getting into the oil. I have 48 hours to return the vehicle As long as it’s under 200 miles and I am within that limit. Should I go Monday and just return this car and wait until they figure something out? Or is this problem not as widespread as Google makes it seem and should I just keep it? I don’t know who else to ask and I don’t know this forum well so I am sorry if this in the wrong spot on the website. Anyways I am very fortunate that my dealer has a 48 hour Love it or leave it policy so I can return it for a full refund and get my trade back on Monday. I was initially choosing between a RAV4 and the CRV. Let me know what you guys think and if this is in the wrong spot can you direct me where I should post this? Thank you Oh and if it matters I saw that it’s only really bad in cold weather, But it’s not exclusive to cold weather... I live in Tennessee but drive to upstate New York to to three times a year and once in winter when it’s suprr cold, and from what I’ve read they are not even going to fix cars coming from Tennessee anytime soon anyways. It looks like they are only fixing cars from cold states first. Thanks guys for any insight that you might have I really don’t want to return it my wife is in love with it but I don’t want to have a car with engine issues that I just paid $26,000 for thank it looks like they are only fixing cars from called state first. Thanks guys for any insight that you might have I really don’t want to return it my wife was in love with it but I don’t want to have a car with engine issues that I just paid $26,000 for....

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I had your option, I would return. You can always buy again, but only sell it at a loss.

I went to my dealer in Colorado and they would NOT apply the known TSB fix. And no commitment from Honda they ever will. Why take the risk?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That's a difficult question. What would you have done if you had learned about this before you pulled the trigger? Also, where are you? If you are in a cold climate, which I consider to be anywhere North of Texas, I wouldn't risk it, I'd return it. You don't want to risk your family getting stranded in the cold and being in a dangerous situation. On the other hand, though, not all of them are having the issue, just a percentage, though I have not seen any specific numbers on that. At this point, with no more information than what is currently available, it's kind of a crapshoot. You could be one of the lucky ones who got one that won't have this problem. Or not. It's your hard-earned money, and your family's safety. As for me, I wouldn't trust it right now. There's not enough to go on, and it's an expensive gamble, and I couldn't see me trusting Honda to necessarily ever fix it, though they should. But they have had many other such issues over the years. Some they fixed, others, not. I have a 2007 CR-V and love it, but I wouldn't buy a new one on a bet. Whatever the problem is, it is already proving difficult to isolate, and depending on what Honda learns, it could be a disaster for them if it requires engine replacement or major repairs on a large number of cars. So they will try every squirmy thing they can to avoid that bill, from complete denial that there's a problem, to a software fix, which is a band aid on a bullet wound. All of which are completely the opposite of the correct thing, which would be to announce what the problem really is, and do whatever is necessary to fix every car, free.

Since the issue is multi-faceted, producing several varying sets of symptoms, my best guess is that, rather than an inherent design flaw, it is a production issue, meaning that it is being caused by a run of defective parts, or something inconsistent in the assembly process. But right now Honda is being completely unresponsive, and that, to me, is not a good sign. I don't trust them to resolve it in good faith. It's not so much that I mistrust them, it's that there is too much on the line for it to be worth the risk. Those current owners who do have the issues are, right now, on their own, and I would not want to become a member of that group. So, if you were me, you would take that thing back like a hot potato, because there's a fair chance it is, and I am not willing to risk it financially or other wise. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
Not all CRV's are having this problem, so take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt. Sure some people are having the issue but some aren't. If you are really that worried about it though then you can try to return it. If you love the vehicle and want piece if mind, I would buy the 8yr 120K mile Honda Care warranty. You can check out College Hills Honda and buy it online at a discounted rate. The CRV has better safety ratings than the out going Rav 4, but on the flip side the Rav has the old tried and true powertrain. If your wife loves the V then I would keep it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
True, not all the new ones have the issues, but I keep hearing more and more alarming reports that large numbers of them are. However, you mentioned your other choice was the RAV4. So, if you do return the CR-V, before you go jump in a RAV4 research it thoroughly too. I hear they may also be having some issues, though I have not researched that and have no knowledge about it. But you should before you plunk that money down. Otherwise you could just be trading one problem for another. Shoot, at this point, I'm not sure if I would buy any new vehicle right now. Actually, I chose not to. Instead, I found me a good super-clean 2007 Gen 3 instead, and so far so good. Less money and few issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The scary part is some have the issue and some do not. I have a 2017 EX-L and a friend has a 2017 Touring. We do not have the issue and she does. Hers also has a problem with the Navi system in which she proceeded to file Lemon Law since it was in the shop over a half dozen times without a fix. I have had 9 Honda/Acura vehicles in my life but not so sure I would buy another after seeing how Honda Corporate treated her. The call is yours about returning and so far mine is good but with only 7500 miles on the odo since Nov 1 2017 it does not get a lot of use.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like the title says I bought the car today and it has the 1.5 L turbo engine. With it being a Honda I didn’t give much thought to it having an engine issue. Well after we got it home I just decided to look and see how that engine was and all I saw was a bunch of stuff about how bad the engine was with the gas getting into the oil. I have 48 hours to return the vehicle As long as it’s under 200 miles and I am within that limit. Should I go Monday and just return this car and wait until they figure something out? Or is this problem not as widespread as Google makes it seem and should I just keep it? I don’t know who else to ask and I don’t know this forum well so I am sorry if this in the wrong spot on the website. Anyways I am very fortunate that my dealer has a 48 hour Love it or leave it policy so I can return it for a full refund and get my trade back on Monday. I was initially choosing between a RAV4 and the CRV. Let me know what you guys think and if this is in the wrong spot can you direct me where I should post this? Thank you Oh and if it matters I saw that it’s only really bad in cold weather, But it’s not exclusive to cold weather... I live in Tennessee but drive to upstate New York to to three times a year and once in winter when it’s suprr cold, and from what I’ve read they are not even going to fix cars coming from Tennessee anytime soon anyways. It looks like they are only fixing cars from cold states first. Thanks guys for any insight that you might have I really don’t want to return it my wife is in love with it but I don’t want to have a car with engine issues that I just paid $26,000 for thank it looks like they are only fixing cars from called state first. Thanks guys for any insight that you might have I really don’t want to return it my wife was in love with it but I don’t want to have a car with engine issues that I just paid $26,000 for....
Honda does not have a lock on the market when it comes to small SUV's. Their are too many other great options out there. Yesterday I test drove a 2019 Forester Limited. Its a very nice car, it actually has more drivers leg room which is a big plus for me. If this "Fix" I'm getting in a few weeks does not work I'm ready to take the loss on the CR-V, but not after kicking and screaming at the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is an idea, why don't you lease rather than buy? That way if you end up with one with a problem that Honda won't resolve to your satisfaction, it becomes their problem at the end of the lease. If you end up with one that has no problems, you can choose to buy it out at the end of the lease period. A three year lease would also (in theory) get you past the mid-model refresh point where you can then determine if you really want whatever they might feature in the refresh.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was shopping for a vehicle over the summer and the CRV ended up on the short list. After test driving it, I spent some time on the forums and found the oil dilution threads.

I decided that it probably was an isolated issue, since most forums tend to compress the problems to a few whiners and complainers. I ended up purchasing a CRV Labor Day weekend. It now has 4000 miles, and the oil level is high and reeks of gasoline. I haven't tried the fix yet, but intend to make an appointment this week.

In hindsight, I should have probably taken the dilution issue seriously and expanded the vehicles that I test drove.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was shopping for a vehicle over the summer and the CRV ended up on the short list. After test driving it, I spent some time on the forums and found the oil dilution threads.

I decided that it probably was an isolated issue, since most forums tend to compress the problems to a few whiners and complainers. I ended up purchasing a CRV Labor Day weekend. It now has 4000 miles, and the oil level is high and reeks of gasoline. I haven't tried the fix yet, but intend to make an appointment this week.

In hindsight, I should have probably taken the dilution issue seriously and expanded the vehicles that I test drove.
So, Are you a whiner or a complainer LOL

·
Registered
434 Posts
If your trade is still running ok and there is no pressure to buy a car at the moment, why not wait and see how this plays out. IMO Honda USA has not been forthcoming about this issue, Honda Canada a bit better. The fix is now starting in Canada and the northern US and the early results are not encouraging. I would have hoped that a fix, any fix, would fix it, period. That does not appear to be the case as there are some for which the fix did not help.

In addition to this forum there are others, namely the Facebook 5th Gen group and there are many there reporting no improvement in both heating and oil even after the fix. I would wait at this point if you can, just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If your trade is still running ok and there is no pressure to buy a car at the moment, why not wait and see how this plays out. IMO Honda USA has not been forthcoming about this issue, Honda Canada a bit better. The fix is now starting in Canada and the northern US and the early results are not encouraging. I would have hoped that a fix, any fix, would fix it, period. That does not appear to be the case as there are some for which the fix did not help.

In addition to this forum there are others, namely the Facebook 5th Gen group and there are many there reporting no improvement in both heating and oil even after the fix. I would wait at this point if you can, just my two cents worth.
best answer.....its a lot of money on the line,and really does anyone know whats going to happen with trade ins next year now that some have posted the fix didnt work....especially on that facebook site....

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, Are you a whiner or a complainer LOL

Not sure how this makes me a whiner or complainer, I'm not doing either.

The original poster has a chance to back out. Based on everything I know now, I would reconsider my decision. I would purchase something else or wait a while and see how things play out with Honda.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the problems are going to diminish your ownership experience, you should return it. Life's too short to buy something that makes you regretful.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Every 1.5L Turbo is going to have the problem - those that claim not to are burning oil.

No Turbo should be GDI.

Any GDI engine needs at least 50% more oil in the pan. Honda did this with the 3.5L engine - it needs 7+ quarts of oil.

3.5 quarts of oil in the 1.5L is just asking for trouble - oil dilution will result in short engine life or you will need to change the oil every 2500 miles to keep that from happening. Honda should have required 6 quarts of oil in the pan to keep the oil dilution from becoming critical for most drivers.

Diesel Cars have always had larger oil pans and more frequent oil changes due to Direct Injection leaking fuel around the piston rings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys thanks for all the responses so far. It seems like the general consensus is to take the car back fast and run away! The reason we got the car is because we just had a baby 10 months ago and wanted something bigger than our Corolla. We thought the Corolla would be big enough but it has been giving us headaches lugging around strollers etc. we have been managing we just wanted an easier experience and didn’t mound paying for it. That said our corolla is a 2017 with 12k miles on it. I made money on the trade in, but the car is fine. I have already called the salesman and told him I intend to take advantage of their widely advertised love it or leave it policy and just completely reverse the deal and drive away in my corolla, this is a huge dealer that has been in my city longer than I have been alive. They have impeccable reviews. I have no doubt they will let me return the car for a full refund. Me and my wife were literally on the fence between this and the RAV4. I have done more research on the RAV4 and it seems the 2018 still has the tried and true engine and transmissions that Toyota is famous for. Naturally aspirated and a 6 speed auto. Both made in Japan. So I think we will be returning this tomorrow and then going to the yota dealer and snagging the electric blue 2018 rav 4 we test drove yesterday. It doesn’t have the sunroof or heated seats but it has all the other options. Plus it’s 3k cheaper. Thanks all who commented. It made my decision much easier and more well informed. If you would like I will update this thread about how it goes returning this car to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good luck with the return. Please make sure the dealer knows WHY you are returning the car. Hopefully they will pass this to Honda USA.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Every 1.5L Turbo is going to have the problem - those that claim not to are burning oil.

No Turbo should be GDI.

Any GDI engine needs at least 50% more oil in the pan. Honda did this with the 3.5L engine - it needs 7+ quarts of oil.

3.5 quarts of oil in the 1.5L is just asking for trouble - oil dilution will result in short engine life or you will need to change the oil every 2500 miles to keep that from happening. Honda should have required 6 quarts of oil in the pan to keep the oil dilution from becoming critical for most drivers.

Diesel Cars have always had larger oil pans and more frequent oil changes due to Direct Injection leaking fuel around the piston rings.
21,500 on our 2018 Touring and we don't have the problem.
Ours warms up fine and as quickly as any car and does not burn oil.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.