Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2009 Honda CRV a couple days ago with 45,000 miles. Saw the carfax report but no maintenance records. Going to take it in for service. Thinking rear diff and trans fluids changed, alignment, tires rotated and balanced. Oil has been done. The TPMS light comes on goes off. What's up with that? Any other maintenance I might need to do?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And - Congratulations on your new ride! Excellent find with those low miles! Got any pictures? We love pictures. On the TPMS thing - check the air in the tires, they will get slightly low sometimes. Should be about 30-32 pounds. Then drive for 30 minutes. If that was the issue, it will reset. If it does not reset after a day or two, you may have a low battery in a tire sensor. A new sensor requires removing the tire from the wheel to replace, so you'd want to get that done during the rest of the tire maintenance. Let us know how it turns out, and keep us posted on how you are enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Take a close look at your tires for dry rot. They may have lots of tread life left but at 11yrs old and only 45K on them, they may be due for a replacement. I inherited a 10yr old Buick a few years back with only 16K on the odometer. Tires looked great but after a few weeks of daily driving, the rubber started breaking down quickly and the tires were unsafe to drive on. The TPMS sensor lifespan is around 8-10 years depending on where you live. Cold may cause them to go out earlier rather than later. At this age I would budget to have four new sensors put in when I get new tires put on.

Don't forget the front transfer case gear oil change. If you are starting from a known state for maintenance, get that done as well. I would also do PS fluid, brake fluid, pull the plugs and check them for any issues, also will tell you if your valve cover gasket is leaking in to the spark plug tubes. Have the battery checked as well. 4yrs is around the lifespan for a battery. Check the accessory drive belt for cracks and condition due to age not miles. I replace them every 50K as well so you are about due. Cabin air filter and engine air filter change too. Lastly make sure your brakes are not hanging up, suspension bushings not perished and the struts not leaking.

Good luck with your new ride. Mine is an 08 with over 210K on it and runs like new. You should get many miles out of your V if you take care of it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You are receiving BAD advise (on TPMS)!

The TPMS is based on wheel rotation -THER ARE NO SENSORS AND NO BATTERIES/SENSORS to replace!

Ensure the tires are inflated correctly (open the drivers door and look for a sticker below the latching mechanism - there may be different pressures between front/back tires - it's that way on the 2017's on).

Then go to your head unit and there will be a setting to 'reset TPMS' (the procedure will be in you owners manual).

New fluids and tires and you should be good to go!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, appreciated. Great info and things I hadn't thought about so my list is longer. The TPMS light didn't come on at all today but will ask for a scan when I take it in for service. This vehicle came from the Metro D.C. area where there's lots of public transportation available and it's the best option to get around and I'm sure that's why the miles are so low.

I also have a 2004 CRV I bought new that has 195,789 miles that I love still and will keep. If the '09 does as well as the '04 I'll be happy. The '04 is still my fav.
Screenshot_2020-02-19-19-01-54_kindlephoto-19871529.png
2-P1050144.JPG

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You are receiving BAD advise (on TPMS)!

The TPMS is based on wheel rotation -THER ARE NO SENSORS AND NO BATTERIES/SENSORS to replace!

Ensure the tires are inflated correctly (open the drivers door and look for a sticker below the latching mechanism - there may be different pressures between front/back tires - it's that way on the 2017's on).

Then go to your head unit and there will be a setting to 'reset TPMS' (the procedure will be in you owners manual).

New fluids and tires and you should be good to go!

Welcome to the forum!
That's actually not the case at all. This Gen 3 CR-V absolutely has battery-operated sensors. The rotational systems weren't put into use until Gen 4 and later. Your information is for later models, not this one.

Reactions: Scott091981

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's actually not the case at all. This Gen 3 CR-V absolutely has battery-operated sensors. The rotational systems weren't put into use until Gen 4 and later. Your information is for later models, not this one.
Thank you, I did not know this.

Have owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th and our current 5th generation CR-V - we missed the 3rd generation and the knowledge associated with it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The TPMS light comes on goes off. What's up with that?
If it's the light that says "TPMS," then you most likely have a low battery in one (or more) of the sensors. The life of the sensor batteries is about 10 years, so you're right at that point.

If it's the low tire pressure warning, then one of the tires is low.

A tire shop would need to replace the sensor and program it to your CR-V. Programming it is not rocket science--they read the ID from the sensor, then program it in through the OBD-II port. I have a scanner/programmer that does this:

I am lucky that if I need tire work done, a neighbor's shop handles this, and I can take my new sensors to him for installation. I can do the programming at home if I need to. I proactively replaced all four of the sensors in one of our '09s last summer, but our other '09 has one low battery (left front), which triggers the TPMS light occasionally.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Where is it located & how do I change the oil? I know about the rear diff, didn't know this gen had a front transfer case.
It doesn't, really. There's just the transmission fluid and the differential fluid to worry about changing. Any kind of "transfer case" the CR-V might have is part of the transmission; it's more like a power take-off to send power to the propeller shaft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts