Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for this forum! We had a CR-V many years ago. Don't remember the year maybe '98? We traded it in for an Odyssey after our 2nd kid. Now we have a kid driving and I wish we still had it. Budget is $12k with a possible trade in of a 2000 Civic. What is the best year and what is too many miles?

·
Registered
772 Posts
First let me welcome you to the forum. As for the CRV, the prices will vary by condition as well as mileage. With you budget, I would search classifieds for possibly a ONE OWNER and good maintenance schedule. As for your Civic, sell it yourself because most individual owners don't want a trade. Now a Dealer is a different story, you will have no clue what they ACTUALLY give you as trade in. Thay will BALOON their price to make you think you get what you want for your trade. Take some advise, find the CRV you like from an individual, agree on a price and all will be happy. KBB.com (kellybluebook.com) will guide you with a fair price. Good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the warm welcome. I've been looking on autotrader, edmunds, kbb. Haven't seen many for sale by owners. There's one at a dealership for 11k with 35k miles. It's a 2005.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Welcome !
What is the best year is difficult to answer as they have been mostly reliable over the years except for maybe a few minor issues here and there. Looks like you are no stranger to Hondas so you know that with regular maintenance these could last forever.
If you prefer the boxy SUV design then stick to a gen 1 (97-01) or gen 2 (02-06). Gen2's had A/C failures which is something to keep an eye on and I think it was fixed by 06.
Gen3 (07-11) saw more HP and better car like handling but lost the boxy design and ground clearance.
With your budget it might be easy to find a gen2 or early model gen3.

·
Registered
772 Posts
As a note which I did not mention in earlier post, call YOUR BANK......they will tell you what LOAN VALUE is, which will tell you how muck profit in any that you find, especially DEALERSHIPS, that's how they survive on how much you pay. You can believe they have invested the least $$$ possible. Do you homework, don't rush to the first one you find. JMO, good luck.
David g.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts