Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Making some upgrades to my 2005 CR-V EX. I have to be at work in any weather so in addition to better tires, I just ordered the following.

This is the bar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000182FGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which requires this mounting bracket to fit the CRV:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LY7JCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To which I will mount these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9IGO92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Very nice, I actually have the same bar (and obviously hardware) sitting in my wishlist on Amazon atm.

Still up in the air on lights. I know one of the engineers at Diode and like their 6" bars, so Im thinking those possibly. Really like the looks of those lights you linked, thought no way I could justify that much coin on a couple fog lights. Wife would murder me.

Not sure where you live but ive found for snow and ice, good snow tires trump even geolanders. Obviously "seasonal" tires which isnt for everyone, geolanders are one of my ideas to go with alloy wheels in the spring. But when our old car got around on snow tires better than most 4wds around, Ill stick with them for winter up here.

Gotta ask, what color is yours? Ive got that burgundy color (forget what they call it). Second honda Ive bought cheap that color. Well second honda ive gotten lucky to stumble across cheap in general.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the Boston MA area and I work as an RN and EMT, so unfortunately no snow days for me! I should probably get a set of blizzaks for this winter but the tires on the car now are mismatched from when I bought it so I don't want to put them back on in the spring, and buying two sets of tires isn't really in the budget right now, so I figured since the geolanders are technically rated with the three peak winter tire symbol I might be able to get away with those year round. My CRV is Black. I think the nighthawk black? Its a 2005 so I'm not sure what they were calling the black back then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the Westin Safari Bar is installed... it was a pain in the butt to get the mounting hardware into the holes of the frame because the radiator doesn't give much room. I had to use a magnet to position one of the bolts. The lights are on and wired, but unfortunately they have really thick housings and the mounting point is so close to the bumper that the only way they fit is to point down at the ground at an aggressive angle. This makes them exceptionally bright, yet exceptionally short range fog lights, instead of the mid range driving lights I was hoping for.

In order to fix this I am going to need to mount the lights more forward away from the bumper so they have room to angle back and straight ahead. I bought some mending brackets and hardware, and I am going to fabricate the light mount extensions myself. I'll post pictures when its done.

Instead of Yokohama Geolanders I decided to go with Toyo Celsius Variable Terrain tires. They use a hybrid winter/ summer tread pattern but slightly less natural rubber in the compound than dedicated winter tires. So far they have shown to be as effective in snow and ice as my blizzak's I have owned in the past, yet they don't feel as squishy in corners and seem to have better grip on dry surfaces. They are rated for 60k miles, so we'll see if this is a good alternative to having to switch out all seasons and winter tires twice a year.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was looking back at your lights and am quite surprised there isnt enough room. The picture of the lights makes me wonder if you can simply flip the mount around the other way to move the lights forward a bit.

Can you get pictures posted, since Im getting the same bumper Id like to know what Im in for since Im wanting to install lights as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to the angle of the mount, I considered flipping it around like you suggested, but I have yet to try it. I'll try to post some pictures later today after work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pictures of the lights installed. As you can see in the second one, the back of the light housing makes contact with the bumper and prevents them from aiming straight.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Fender Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So turning the stock mounting brackets around DID get me a couple more degrees of play in aiming the light, but not enough where I could avoid making a bracket. So I went to home depot and got the following to make a bracket that will move the lights forward.
Auto part
Games Finger Recreation Metal
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Pipe Vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finished mounting. I angled the brackets out laterally to get a wider spread and then turned the lights slightly outward so they will really light up in a wider pattern. Cant wait to test them tonight!
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Honda

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Nice work!

I wonder if your bumper sticks out slightly more than mine. Seems odd they wouldn't have made plenty of room for those style lights as led light bars weren't around in their current form back then.

Guess Ill find out when I do mine, really appreciate you sharing all the pics and info.

This is mine so far. Wheels are just painted till I can afford wheels for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts