Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've done a fair bit of researching on here to gather info just I figured it was time to actually post.

I just purchased a 2015 EX-L this weekend with 50K miles on it. I love the vehicle, it was well cared for and drives great. No complaints so far.

But I did want to ask if there are any certain things I should be looking for or may be expected to replace at this mileage. I did find several complaints of a rough idle/vibration. I haven't experienced any vibration at speed, but at one red light I noticed the idle was rough and the whole vehicle vibrated pretty badly. That's the only time though. Is there a fix for this yet, or would tuning the ECU be a good option?

I also wanted to ask how well these vehicles wear brakes. Are the rotors/pads adequate size from the factory to last a good while with average braking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,

I've done a fair bit of researching on here to gather info just I figured it was time to actually post.

I just purchased a 2015 EX-L this weekend with 50K miles on it. I love the vehicle, it was well cared for and drives great. No complaints so far.

But I did want to ask if there are any certain things I should be looking for or may be expected to replace at this mileage. I did find several complaints of a rough idle/vibration. I haven't experienced any vibration at speed, but at one red light I noticed the idle was rough and the whole vehicle vibrated pretty badly. That's the only time though. Is there a fix for this yet, or would tuning the ECU be a good option?

I also wanted to ask how well these vehicles wear brakes. Are the rotors/pads adequate size from the factory to last a good while with average braking?
Congratulation in your purchase, I own 15 exl too..however Buddy you are in wrong thread. Go to www.driveaccord.net you will find bunch of details thay you never thought of it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
The idle vibration issue is one, but you should know it if you have it. If it is present, there is a TSB for a fix that should be free in the warranty period. There's also a TSB for the CVT, correcting a problem that allowed the transmission to slip while at a constant speed. You should ask a dealer if this has been applied. The fix is either a simple reprogramming or a complete transmission replacement so it's a potentially serious issue worth addressing.

I also have a 2015 EX-L and have found it, with one exception, to be solid and quite trouble-free. The one exception is a trait that is seemingly common with the K24W/CVT combination in Accords and CRVs: fuel dilution of engine oil. While a known byproduct of direct fuel injection, truly high levels of fuel dilution are typically found only in turbocharged DI engines, but normally-aspirated K24W/CVT Hondas have it too.

Honda will be of no help with this (I've been up and down the Honda "customer care" organization) suggesting they consider it normal, though they won't say so. So my advice is to watch oil-related things carefully. Check the oil frequently, watching for both increased and decreased oil levels. And watch for strong gasoline odors from the dipstick. I have abandoned the "Maintenance Minder" suggestion for oil change intervals and gone to a 4 month/4K interval as the engine oil is gasoline-saturated by then and its viscosity has slipped below the 0w-20 range. When your car is out of warranty you may want to use 0w-30 instead of 0w-20 as this will provide more viscosity protection from fuel dilution.

Good luck with the new car!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi there,
We bought a 2015 CR-V EX-L new on valentines day a couple years ago. It has 31K trouble free miles. The only thing I've done is change the oil regularly using Mobile 1 and I changed the cabin air filter and engine air filter. I've also rotated the tires every so often. Tires still look good. Car looks like new. Drives like new. No CVT problems and no engine vibration. I'm a mechanic so I pay attention to things. If something wasn't right, I'd fix it. It's a great car.

Anybody know when I should expect to change the CVT fluid? I have four quarts ready to go but the maintenance minder still hasn't told me it's due yet. Like I said, it has 31K miles. Very little mountain driving.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi there,
We bought a 2015 CR-V EX-L new on valentines day a couple years ago. It has 31K trouble free miles. The only thing I've done is change the oil regularly using Mobile 1 and I changed the cabin air filter and engine air filter. I've also rotated the tires every so often. Tires still look good. Car looks like new. Drives like new. No CVT problems and no engine vibration. I'm a mechanic so I pay attention to things. If something wasn't right, I'd fix it. It's a great car.

Anybody know when I should expect to change the CVT fluid? I have four quarts ready to go but the maintenance minder still hasn't told me it's due yet. Like I said, it has 31K miles. Very little mountain driving.
I've heard 60k is a typical CVT fluid change interval. The Maintenance Minder is not "intelligent" as respects transmission/rear differential fluid changes, simply counting miles. But the manual requires an earlier change (30k iirc) under certain "severe" conditions. The Maintenance Minder in mine suggested a differential fluid change around 20k - did yours do the same?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Maintenance Minder in mine suggested a differential fluid change around 20k - did yours do the same?

I have the 2WD version. In my opinion, AWD cars should only be purchased by owners who really need it. I have experience working on AWD Subaru's and can tell you that they are a pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts