Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then I found out about the oil dilution problem and now I am little worried! My CRV only had 12,800 miles on it when I purchased it. My fault completely that I did not research the vehicle before I bought it. Honestly I didn't think there was anything to worry about becuase it was a Honda, has very low miles and still has it warranty. This is the third Honda I have bought over the years. I also did opt to purchase the extended warranty on this vehicle, which is something I never do normally!! At least I was lucky in that regards.

I searched my VIN # but there has not been any recalls for my CRV, that I could find.

I am planning on changing the oil today because it looks the the dealership I bought it from, (not a Honda dealer), may have over filled it when they did the oil change. I would like to use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced formula, but am wondering if I should go with the Honda oil instead, because of this known issue? Thoughts?

Any advice or assurances on what I should do would be appreciated. I got this for my wife and she absolutely loves it, and so do I.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Why would using Honda oil make any difference? I think you would be just fine with Mobil 1.

From what I've gathered from reading the "Master Thread", If your car does have OD issues pretty much the only things that might help would be driving in "S" mode all of the time and maybe using higher octane gasoline. Don't use non-ethanol gas though because these cars seem to like the ethanol for some reason.

Also keep an eye on your oil level and change it whenever it gets too high.

Good luck!

·
Registered
232 Posts
No reason to worry about OD on your CRV according to our resident in-house experts on this CR-V Owners Club site. You can be sure that if this thread is not immediately locked that there will be two to three "experts" who will chime in and assure you that gas mixing with oil is no big deal and that Honda designed this engine to run flawlessly even with a full quart or two of gas mixed in. The engine will be good for at least 250,000 miles so don't check your oil just drive the living sheet out of it!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I encourage you to repost this over in the master thread for oil dilution. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threa...rs-master-thread.195127/page-125#post-1585542 The forum mods have asked that we discuss oil dilution in that thread and not start new threads. This thread will likely be closed, per mod requests to stick with the master thread.

Some owners do actually have a real issue with abnormal OD. Many do not. Which is why reading or hearing about the issue may or may not be relevant to your CRV. Cold weather conditions, and short driving in cold weather conditions IS a known cause. Why? The engine never warms up well enough to let it's normal purge mechanics to deal with fuel that gets into the oil. Note: ALL direct injection engines have some oil dilution. The question really is does the engine deal with it under normal operating conditions or not?

Yes.. dealers, and even the factory, have been known to over fill these 1.5T engines. Check your oil weekly, beginning with a known baseline right after an oil change. If you see the oil level rising over time, then you may have an issue. If not.. you are good. You cannot determine this by reading and embracing internet rants or complaints... you simply keep tabs on your oil level on your engine. What matters for you is your engine and it's performance.. not Jack, or Joe, or Alices assertion of issues on the internet.

UMRdyldo's advice about oil choice is sound.. so I advise you follow it. Whatever you do.. do not buy into all the postive hype that gets peddled on the internet about Amsoil oil products.. it's marketing hype, often by distributors pretending to be vehicle owners. It's good oil.. but it's not the deity of oils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will I am hoping I do not have any issues as this car will be driving for one half hour to and from work and from what I have read, that should help with this situation. Time will tell. In the meantime, I will monitor it closely.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Honda does NOT make/refine motor oil. Any major branded 0W20 motor oil with the API symbol on the bottle is acceptable. Read your owner’s manual and check engine oil level frequently. Check the oil level immediately after an oil change to be positive the oil level is not under/over filled. Again, read your book.

Your new (to you) car sounds almost identical to ours.......’17 with 12,800 miles. Other than the shifter button......zero, zip, nada issues.?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The Maintenance Minder takes in to consideration ambient temperature.......along with a whole host of other driving conditions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Then I found out about the oil dilution problem and now I am little worried! My CRV only had 12,800 miles on it when I purchased it. My fault completely that I did not research the vehicle before I bought it. Honestly I didn't think there was anything to worry about becuase it was a Honda, has very low miles and still has it warranty. This is the third Honda I have bought over the years. I also did opt to purchase the extended warranty on this vehicle, which is something I never do normally!! At least I was lucky in that regards.

I searched my VIN # but there has not been any recalls for my CRV, that I could find.

I am planning on changing the oil today because it looks the the dealership I bought it from, (not a Honda dealer), may have over filled it when they did the oil change. I would like to use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced formula, but am wondering if I should go with the Honda oil instead, because of this known issue? Thoughts?

Any advice or assurances on what I should do would be appreciated. I got this for my wife and she absolutely loves it, and so do I.
**2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with NAV. 56,000 miles. So far I have had 3 Honda batteries but although everything might blow up tomorrow I have had no problems with the car itself. Honda does not manufacture its own oil. It specs it out to another manufacturer but supposedly has tested the final product. All bottles of full synthetic oil with the seal on the back are supposed to meet at least certain minimum standards and the same seal is on Honda full synthetic as is on Mobil 1 full synthetic.

At one point when I was living in Austin, TX I questioned why the Honda dealership was putting Pennzoil (right on the ticket) in my CRV. I did not get a satisfactory answer. Another ticket was marked as Honda Oil.

Now that I am in Channelview/ Houston, TX the ticket says 08798-9036B with the B probably meaning Bulk but online it says that ---9036, a Honda Synthetic Blend has been discontinued. So, I am trusting the Honda dealer but I really don't know what oil they are using although I suspect that they are really using the Honda full synthetic since ---9036 has been discontinued but the dealership has not updated their billing info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.