Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy, all! I've had my CRV for about a month now and I thought I'd share what I've done so far and what I'm thinking of doing in the future!
First thing I did was to swap out the interior lights for blue LEDs (just a personal preference) and add LED strips for ambient lighting. I hooked those up to the dome light wires so that they're only on when the doors are open, pretty simple.
Next, I swapped all of the exterior bulbs for LED (except for the low beams, which I kept Xenon but, 7000k... I have a thing for blue, ok?).
Then it was time to upgrade the audio a bit so, I added an amplifier under the passenger seat, threw in an on/off switch (pictured under the "Eco" button) for when I remove the subbox to haul stuff home from the hardware store, and (since I wanted to keep the factory head-unit) a sub control knob in the center console (also pictured).
With the audio upgraded, I decided that I needed an alarm and, since I was doing that, a remote start was only a few extra wires. I don't really have any pictures of that (it's hard to see a good install anyway) and I used one where I could control everything with the factory key fob.
Next, I decided to tackle one of my biggest pet peeves, the cup holders. Who designed these? They suck. So, I went on Ebay, bought the cup holders from a 2007 Accord (I liked the ones in my previous car and thought I could make them fit). A lot of adjusting (fit, dremel, fit, dremel, fit, dremel, etc) and a bit of black leather to finish it off and I'm very happy with the result (pictured).
Something that you can't see, I took apart a garage door opener, wired the button to a relay, used the negative wire for my high beams and the switched positive wire from the outlet in the center console to trigger the relay, and a step-down adapter (12v to 3v) wired directly to the battery terminals (so it never needs a new battery). Now, my garage door opens if I flick my high beams but, only if the car is on (just a bit of added security since I park outside).
I really don't like all the chrome on the outside of the car so, I took off the front bumper, removed the grill, took off all the chrome, painted it black, and reassembled it. I did the same with the chrome on the back of the car. Then, I ordered some vinyl black-out tape for the chrome around the windows. Honestly, I'll probably end up just painting that because Honda decided that the strip should go ridiculously wide at the front and the back >.< but, that's a future project.
A few future plans, I have some tint on order for the rear tail lights. I've painted tail lights before but, I want to try this method (because it looks a lot easier). I also want to tint the windows but, I'm not sure if I'll attempt it or just save up to have it done professionally. I'm also considering running boards but, that's another cost prohibitive thing. Yes, I'm cheap =P. Anyway, here are the photos and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh, yeah. I guess I forgot that I also removed the rear "CRV" and "AWD" emblems. =P I'd also like to upgrade to Touring, projector, headlights at some point but, that's another expensive project that probably won't happen unless the housings come down a LOT on Ebay!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I hope you plan on keeping it a very long time because what you have done will make it very difficult to sell and you have lowered the resale value. People don't like to buy altered cars because they fear that other things have been done to it mechanically that are unknown.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks great, nice job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am planning on keeping this car for a while but, I have to say that your experience has been a lot different than mine. I've customized every car that I've ever owned and I've always managed to sell or trade them in for considerably higher than KBB (and what I've found for similar vehicles at the time). Maybe I've just been lucky? The only parts I've actually altered are inexpensive to replace (CRVs aren't exactly rare cars) ;) For me, I spend enough time in my car (and I enjoy working on it enough) that I'd rather personalize it than leave it stock.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, I was a little surprised by that response on here but, hey, to each their own. Custom just isn't Osbornk's thing and that's fine.
It's not me, it's reality. I was in the wholesale used car market for years and we bought and sold many cars at the dealers only car market. Cars that were modified brought less money at auction than stock vehicles. We would sometimes buy a modified car because they were cheap and overprice them on our used car lot with the hopes that a gullible sucker would come by and like the modifications. We made good money when we found someone that liked the modifications and didn't know better but we sometimes lost money when no easy mark came along. It's even worse with motorcycles. The bike I bought 3 years ago had $2,000 spent on accessories and I paid $2,000 under book value for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
I think you are on to something with the cupholder modification.
Its truly a weak spot. Honda engineers clearly liked to drink their slurpees from big cups. Which year accord is yours from?

Don't tell my kid but I'm going to steal and test fit the cupholder from his/my old first gen Pilot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Rocky! I used the cup-holders from a 2007 accord. Good luck and let me know how it turns out/if the Pilot cup-holders look like they might be a better fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts