Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I am a newbie to this forum and this is my first post.

We'd shopped around for cars and tested drive CR-V, Accord, and RAV4. It came down to be either CR-V or accord. I decided on getting CR-V LX 2wd in Silver at the last minute.

(From here on out, it might be a little long post, please bare with me. :) )

So, we went to the dealer shop, worked up on the price and the contract and terms, blah blah blah... the dealer's offer was 20,500, a little bit better than the quote I got from the other dealers through internet quick quote. I was trying to bargain the price down some more but they would not come down any lower.

At that point, I was sort of on a fence, not sure if it was a good price or if I was about to be screwed (again). However, they give us pretty good price on my trade-in, $750. Well, my trade-in was pretty old and got over 150,000 miles on it.

So, that had brought the price down to 19,750, and here came the extended warranty bargaining time. At first, they gave us the price for 7yrs/100,000 miles at $1,998. I was like "WHAT!!!!", no freaking way in the world I would pay 2000 dollars for that. After trying to be patient and negotiate with them some more, they finally lowered it down to 1650 dollars. I thought it was still a little high and was still trying to get it down to $1,500 or less.

At that point my husband told me he thought this is pretty good deal and was ready to sign the paper. But for some reason I thought I should have tried to bargain it some more. (I love negotiating the price, can you tell? :D )

So, in the end, the final price is 19750+1650 = $21,400, which is;

- 2008 CR-V LX 2WD Silver
- 7yrs/100,000 miles Platinum warranty (??? :confused: )
- Mud Guard
- Cargo Tray

What do you guys think? Man, I have to admit I am still losing some sleep over this, wondering if I got screwed (again)

BTW, they did not have CR-V in silver in stock so we are still waiting to hear when they can locate one. They said if they can not do the dealer swap, they have one coming in from Tennessee or something and should be in within 7-10 days.

I told them, if they can find one from other dealers that would be fine. However, I would not accept anything that has more than 50 miles on it. (And again, my husband disagreed with me. He thought 100 or 150 miles on it would still be acceptable :( )

Sorry for such a long post but I just need to get it off my chest. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Extended Warranty

You paid way too much for the warranty. I just bought a new CRV and they quoted me $ 985 for a 8 yr/120k Honda Care Warranty; $ 0 deductible. They made that part of the deal and I ended up paying 26,638 + TTL for a CRV EX-L w/ Navi, wheel locks, cargo tray, tinted windows and all that other dealer prep bs.

Even if you had taken delivery of the car you can still "fix" the situation. Extended warranties can be cancelled and you are due a refund for the remaining balance of the life of it less a small service fee. I just traded a 2006 Nissan Frontier w/ 72,000 miles on it and I had 28,000 miles left on the warranty and am due a $ 404 refund! I overpaid for that policy too ( $ 1600)and would not have known about getting a refund if it wasn't for the dealership telling me.

I see your options as:

1) Call the dealer and see if they would rework and requote the price for the extended warranty to a competitive level. Get some quotes (theres reference somewhere on this site to a Honda dealer that sells warranties online and from your finance company if your financing) and see if they will match it. Go for the $ 0 deductible.

If they don't:

1) Cancell your contract with the dealer and go elsewhere. I think most states have a 72 hour buyer remorse clause. You might want to take your contract to another dealer if there is one and they will certaintly make you a better deal. If there isn't a dealer real close; get online and make a better deal with another one. You and your husband can take a bus trip and make a road trip to get your new car. Call it an adventure....

2) Except delivery of the car and then cancell the extended warranty and buy a new one from another source. Your refund will either go to you if paid cash or be credited against your account if it was financed.

With regards to the milage on the cars; there is nothing wrong with one that has 200 miles; my last two vehicles had about 250 miles on them when I took delivery.

Anyway; these are just my thoughts and best of luck.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You got screwed!

By definition, you signed the dotted line. Somehow you got screwed! So what? Do you buy a car every day? Every week? Every Month. Every year! Hell no! But the dealers sell cars every day. It is an asymetrical battle tilted in the dealer's favor. Forget about the deal, forget about the mileage, and enjoy your new car!

If I was a betting man, you will get all sort of replies peppered with fabulous prices etc etc. So, You did a hell of lot better than I did. Forget it! Enjoy the car!

BTW You want people to bear with you, they may get the wrong idea about bare with you. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Welcome to our club! Congratulations on your new V! Best of luck of to you, and your homework assignment is to forget the deal and enjoy the car!.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Warranty

TGuy does have a point about your warranty, although I think I would opt for option 2.

Here is an interesting little fact. I quote

"On March 28th, Saccucci Honda won an injunction against Honda's Internet Service Contract Guidelines. These guidelines would have prevented customers from purchasing Honda Care over the internet.

Honda is continuing to push to end online sales and have removed the case to Federal Court. A trial will be scheduled in the next few months. We can continue to provide you with our special internet Honda Care rates until we are ordered otherwise.

Please check back for updates"

Check it out here:

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/

This is where I bought my warranty after being told by the dealer that $1985 is the price.

It appears that they are still selling the warranties, and they are still offering at the price I paid a year ago, but it looks like Honda is trying to shut them down.

Well there is a case of good old Honda Corporate looking out for our interests. Apparently the dealers must have been moaning too much about internet sales.

By the way if you live in Florida, it is against the law to buy a car warranty out of state. You may want to remember that at election time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All Is Not Lost...

No worries...
I agree with Black Pearl.

The price you paid on the vehicle isn't bad - bottom line you will love this car, even if you think you could have negotiated a better deal.

As for the HondaCare Warranty - again, I agree with Black Pearl.
Consider cancelling the warranty - get your refund and go to either the website Black Pearl mentioned, or

Honda Warranty - Buy Honda Care Extended Warranties - Bernardi Warranty

They quote the same prices for the warranty, but if you go with a 12-month free financing plan, their administrative fee was a bit less.

It's no fun to get a new car and then take the joy out of it worrying over whether or not you could have done better.

Enjoy your new CRV - you earned it!! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW You want people to bear with you, they may get the wrong idea about bare with you. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Welcome to our club! Congratulations on your new V! Best of luck of to you, and your homework assignment is to forget the deal and enjoy the car!.
You are cracking me up, Black Pearl. :D and Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to keep the contract and enjoy my new V once it gets here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, you guys

Thanks a bunch for all the info and a warm welcome. (Do I sound like Miss Beauty pageant yet? :p )

I'll post a picture of my new V once I get it here. Can't wait. :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Welcome To The Club!

Hello There !
I just bought HONDA CR- V EX- L at $25,500, OTD. with 4.25%/ 48months financeing in GA. and 7yrs/100000 warranty for $1200.00. Is it consider a good deal ?
Sorry you sort slipped in unnoticed. I don't know if you got a good price or not. You could of did a little better on the warranty. But folks why grind your guts through the dog dirt? Who gives a damn? You have something a sizeable portion of humanity can't even dream of--a brand new car. Enjoy the car forget the frigging deal. You got a great deal! In LIFE! Instead worring about if some one is going to shoot you before dinner, your worried about saving a few bucks. Who gives a damn if you paid a few more bucks than some one else?

Go take a spin in your new ride and enjoy it.

Technoboy welcome to club! Congratulations on your new car. Enjoy your car, enjoy life!

Go Green, the more you post the better I like you!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
More Gals

Thanks a bunch for all the info and a warm welcome. (Do I sound like Miss Beauty pageant yet? :p )
Regarding Miss Beauty pagent, no! You sound like a woman with a pretty damned good sense of humor and we could use that here.

Sometimes the whiff of testosterone gets overpowering in these pages. I always look forward to posts by women--you have a unique viewpoint and a lot of commonsense. But too often from new members of both genders, we get a flurry of posts when they first get the car, and then never hear from them again. Its a shame to lose all that insight and humor. We hope to hear from you in the future and are looking forward to seeing pix of your new CR-V.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Regarding Miss Beauty pagent, no! You sound like a woman with a pretty damned good sense of humor and we could use that here.

Sometimes the whiff of testosterone gets overpowering in these pages. I always look forward to posts by women--you have a unique viewpoint and a lot of commonsense. But too often from new members of both genders, we get a flurry of posts when they first get the car, and then never hear from them again. Its a shame to lose all that insight and humor. We hope to hear from you in the future and are looking forward to seeing pix of your new CR-V.
Definite X2! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry, guys.

I am sure I'll hang around this forum and by then you might think, Goshhhhh, we shouldn't have told her to stick around or something ;)

Still haven't heard anything from the sales person. Well, it's Sunday and they have a day off. I think I'll call them tomorrow to see what's up and let them know that Big mama ain't happy.

If they can't find me the silver one within the next couples of day, what do you all think I should do? We talked about this and we don't know if there is anything we can do except wait and wait and wait. Crap, huh?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Excellent choice of color

Silver is a great color to pick. I considered white, silver and glacier blue as my choices. Since silver was available, I picked that one with grey interior. Welcome to the forum and hope you'll find out what is happening tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bring me my new V

I was considering between the Silver and the Glacier Blue one too. Even though I'd prefer the silver one better but either one would be fine.

When we were at the dealer shop we did not see any Silver in LX. We saw they had one LX in Glacier Blue and several in Black. So, I thought, well, I guess I take the Glacier blue then but they told me just got it sold right before I walked in to make a deal :mad: .

So, here I am, still waiting for my new baby V.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You got a good deal on the car itself and the actual value of the warranty to you has yet to be determined. Seven years is a long time in the life cycle of a vehicle, even a well designed and built Honda. A few years down the road you may be very glad you bought the warranty. And you can enjoy your CRV for a good long time without worrying about the potentially high cost of certain repairs.

As to the color, IMO you should hold out for the color of your choice. The “curb appeal” of the car to you, how good it looks to you as you as you walk up to it and climb in, is one of the is one of the great pleasures of motoring. (Though this may be the part where testosterone comes into play)

Anyway, enjoy the warranty, the color, and all the great features.

Happy CRVing

JPO

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
X2

I agree with jpod on the color selection. You have to be satisfied with the color. However, my experience is estrogen drives color choices as much as testosterone! Dame Black Pearl would hear nothing of Taffeta White (sorry smitty).

Most dealers have on line inventories. You may do a search yourself and call up your dealer and gently give a shove in the right direction. Good luck on your quest

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with jpod on the color selection. You have to be satisfied with the color. However, my experience is estrogen drives color choices as much as testosterone!
Weighing in on the estrogen side of things, color was a huge point for me when buying my new CRV.

This is probably the first time I actually held out until the dealer could find exactly what I wanted in color, features, trim model etc.

I guess I am getting more confident and sure of what I want as I get older! ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Estrogen and Color!

GoGreen, you fooled me! This forum has less testosterone than I thought! But as proof of my argument on color and estrogen, which you just confirmed, read JMA's early posts before she got her V. (I assume JMA is on the estrogen side or he carries a purse!) They read like a doctorial thesis.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

I was going to post the update this morning but man, I got so busy at work. When I had time to do it, I just couldn't remember the password to my login. Jeezzzzzzz, I must be getting old. :(

Anyways, I still haven't heard anything back from the dealer. I thought about calling them again this evening but I was not in that good mood so I decided against it. I told myself, well, just set down, relax, and watched baseball. I will call them tomorrow to see what the heck is going on, though.

I saw one Gen 2 CRV in silver on the road today. The paint on that car looks like it's fading or something. It did not look sparkling shiny. That got me concerned a little bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts