Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and I have been looking to buy a new CUV for the past few years and the CR-V was always a front-runner for us.

We didn't buy the 2014 because of the small-overlap crash test, and we're still waiting for the 2015 results. Not sure when it comes out though.

We drove the 2015 EX-L, and wow, what an improvement over the 2014 in almost every aspect. But the acceleration from stopped was pretty weak, which is a big turn off for me. We currently drive a Mazda3 GT and a v8 Grand Cherokee. So we're used to more initial power.

We can get past the acceleration issue, but one thing we noticed was when we took our foot off the gas and attempted to coast, the CR-V felt like it was braking on its own. Like engine braking.

We tried turning off eco mode, driving in D and S... no different.

Is this normal? Can we turn this off? Maybe it's the CVT?

Thank-you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm no expert . . but I think that might be a characteristic of CVTs. I'm pretty sure I have heard similar comments on the Outback forum about their CVT, and I remember when I test drove a Rogue that the salesman (in the back seat) pointed out this characteristic as a 'feature/benefit' of the Rogue so you have less need to use the brakes when backing off the accelerator going downhill.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Apparently the OP did not test it with at least 10 minutes of driving and idling on D where the RPM's cause a teeth rattling vibration of the engine .....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Apparently the OP did not test it with at least 10 minutes of driving and idling on D where the RPM's cause a teeth rattling vibration of the engine .....
Wow . . that seems highly unusual . . I didn't experience anything like that on my test drive that was certainly more than 10 minutes. Anyone else experience this! ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Read this thread
Thanks hondo, read the entire thread, clearly an issue for lots of people, I'll be sure to test the vib in D while stopped and low speed acceleration shudder 'characteristics' on another test drive.

NOTE TO JONATHAN AND THE SOCIAL MEDIA TEAM: here is an example of what can happen if a company doesn't 'get out in front of' a hot issue and lets it just gain momentum in the market through social media sites like these user forums.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/173218-wind-noise.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife and I drove it for about 30 minutes total, with the 2 kids in their carseats in the back. Didn't notice the idle vibration, but I was driving most of the time, not idling. I'll have to try it again.

We won't think about buying until the small overlap crash test results are released though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We've had our '15 Touring for about 2 weeks now, and haven't noticed any vibration or deceleration when when coasting. The car actually drives very nicely, it is very quiet, and seems solidly built. I do agree with the first comment about the acceleration. When in ECO mode it does take some time to get to cruising speed.

Over all I am really happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a new '15 EX-L and it does have a bit of a shudder while stopped at idle with my foot on the brakes (about 600 rpm). The shudder goes away as soon as I take my foot off the brake as the engine rpms get above the 600 rpm level and never returns during acceleration from that point on. I remember a similar shudder from most of my previous 4 cylinder Honda vehicles (and most previous 4 cylinder engines of any make for that matter) so it doesn't bother me much.

I feel it has to do with Honda programming such low rpms under those circumstances for mileage purposes. That being said, if Honda came out with a programming update to idle 100-200rpm's higher to remove the shudder I'd get the re-program. But I'm not taking it to the dealer to complain at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my Jeep, I had a similar shudder, but it was due to a faulty Idle Air Control and Throttle Position Sensor... replaced that and the idle was smooth :0

My wife now wants me to look at a Toyota Highlander? I wonder how they compare to the CRV (besides being larger)

·
Registered
8 Posts
"We can get past the acceleration issue, but one thing we noticed was when we took our foot off the gas and attempted to coast, the CR-V felt like it was braking on its own. Like engine braking."

I have driven about 1,700 miles, and it does this consistently. It almost feels like it is shifting through gears, as the amount of resistance varies depending on the speed. When it drops below 12 mph, the resistance decreases significantly.

I probably would not have noticed the vibration at idle without reading the thread. If I think about it, then I notice it, but it seems minor with my vehicle. I spent an hour going about 4 miles in stop-and-go during a snowstorm, and I hardly noticed the vibration.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,916 Posts
In my Jeep, I had a similar shudder, but it was due to a faulty Idle Air Control and Throttle Position Sensor... replaced that and the idle was smooth :0

My wife now wants me to look at a Toyota Highlander? I wonder how they compare to the CRV (besides being larger)
That's funny because my old Jeep did the same thing and it was due to the same issues that yours had. For the OP I haven't driven a 15, but damn they're nice. I have a 13 EX and absolutely love it. I think you'd love the 15 if you got one. The only buyers remorse I have is that it's not AWD.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess I didn't realize Honda went to the CVT for the '15. Guess I will keep the '13 as long as I can. I will not buy a vehicle with a CVT. Hopefully they offer an option of the 5 speed, if not, then I will be buying another brand vehicle when the time comes.

And to the OP. Both vehicles I have driven have felt like a turd that had CVT's in them. Could be the tranny or could be the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

My wife and I have been looking to buy a new CUV for the past few years and the CR-V was always a front-runner for us.

We didn't buy the 2014 because of the small-overlap crash test, and we're still waiting for the 2015 results. Not sure when it comes out though.

We drove the 2015 EX-L, and wow, what an improvement over the 2014 in almost every aspect. But the acceleration from stopped was pretty weak, which is a big turn off for me. We currently drive a Mazda3 GT and a v8 Grand Cherokee. So we're used to more initial power.

We can get past the acceleration issue, but one thing we noticed was when we took our foot off the gas and attempted to coast, the CR-V felt like it was braking on its own. Like engine braking.

We tried turning off eco mode, driving in D and S... no different.

Is this normal? Can we turn this off? Maybe it's the CVT?

Thank-you!
I don't think it's just a CVT thing with the deceleration. I have a 06 Corolla with Auto and it drives the same as the 15 CRV. When I take my foot off the gas they both slow down at the same rate. But I would agree that it is a function, must be something they need to do, based on the way a CVT works.

I did notice the vibration that people talked about the other day, but only at one stop light, the other times it was fine.

The 15 highlander is awesome. But it's a different animal, it's much bigger inside and outside. Check it out and see if you like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess I didn't realize Honda went to the CVT for the '15. Guess I will keep the '13 as long as I can. I will not buy a vehicle with a CVT. Hopefully they offer an option of the 5 speed, if not, then I will be buying another brand vehicle when the time comes.

And to the OP. Both vehicles I have driven have felt like a turd that had CVT's in them. Could be the tranny or could be the vehicle.
Well, at least test drive the '15 CRV with the CVT before completely disregarding it. Many other manufacturers and their bad CVT's have thrown a dark cloud over that type of tranny. I have a '15 CRV and was initially concerned but I have no problems with the CVT that Honda has come up with. I never bought the CRV expecting a sports car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, at least test drive the '15 CRV with the CVT before completely disregarding it. Many other manufacturers and their bad CVT's have thrown a dark cloud over that type of tranny. I have a '15 CRV and was initially concerned but I have no problems with the CVT that Honda has come up with. I never bought the CRV expecting a sports car.

Oh, we will. It primarily my wife's DD but she didn't care too much for the CVT either. We will test drive when the time comes and hopefully it will be an improved version over the ones we have been in. This will probably be in 6-10 years since we tend to keep vehicles a little longer. No telling what will be in a CRV then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I just bought a 2015 touring. We still have a 2013 Ford Escape which is much quicker but is also a complete piece of garbage. The shudder/vibration is certainly present in ours and I can feel it intermittently at traffic stops. I may press the dealer for a solution to this problem down the road, but for now I'm enjoying the car. I've now owned 7 Hondas in my life and for a while I think they lost their way. Especially with this new CR-V I feel like Honda is paying attention to what the competition offers as well as what customers have come to expect. I know most will opt for the EX but if you plan to get nav the additional $2,000 for the touring is imo worth the money.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,916 Posts
My wife and I just bought a 2015 touring. We still have a 2013 Ford Escape which is much quicker but is also a complete piece of garbage. The shudder/vibration is certainly present in ours and I can feel it intermittently at traffic stops. I may press the dealer for a solution to this problem down the road, but for now I'm enjoying the car. I've now owned 7 Hondas in my life and for a while I think they lost their way. Especially with this new CR-V I feel like Honda is paying attention to what the competition offers as well as what customers have come to expect. I know most will opt for the EX but if you plan to get nav the additional $2,000 for the touring is imo worth the money.
Welcome and let's see some pics of the new ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 15 ex. I have noticed the small vibration at idle but it's not always (maybe 30 % of idles). It's hardly teeth rattling. If you haven't experienced it dont assume. I think its the low idling to save gas. It doesnt bother me. Just a characterisic. The deceleration is the cvt. Its just a tad more aggressive then normal but if you've driven a tesla you'd know what coast breaking REALLY feels like... Ive already gotten used to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A Tesla has regenerative breaking, which is totally different. You don't even need to use the brake pedal in some electric cars. Engine braking while coasting in a gas-powered car with automatic transmission and without downshifting seems strange to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts