Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 CRV EX AWD. I've owned it for 3 weeks. Below is why I took my CRV into the Dealer, and then what I was told. I think some of this is flat out wrong, but wanted to find out from others with CRVs.

1- Both Headlights get very foggy/glazed and diminishes light output at night, and then I receive nasty water spots all over the inside of the light, which looks bad on a brand new vehicle.
2- Backup Camera is very blurry, like out of focus.
3- Torque View on Dash shows I'm in AWD 100% of the time unless I take my foot off the gas. This is on flat, dry interstate.

1- Technician told me that due to atmospheric pressure, condensation on the inside is normal. He told me he has an Accord that does the same thing. I let him know this isn't my first vehicle and I've never seen this. I've owned several, and in fact, this is my third Honda. Even my 13 year old Civic to this day does not do this. I'm calling BS on this. Does anyone else have an issue like this?

2- Tech said he compared my backup camera to another and it was the same. He said "Honda Backup Cameras suck". Possibly. I've only had one other vehicle with a camera, and it was not a Honda, and it was crisp. In fact, looking at videos on youtube, the 2019 CRV EX backup camera looks crisp and clear on the video. But mine looks like it's completely out of focus. I've wiped it off, etc. Next day I have off, I'm going back in and sitting it next to another CRV and compare for myself. Anyone else have issues where their Camera is blurry? It's so blurry, that I can't make out my bumper on the down angle view. When I see cars behind me, I can tell they are cars, but that's about it. If this is the normal operation for Honda, I'm very displeased. I just don't remember the one I test drove being this bad.

3- Tech told me that the CRV is AWD 100% of the time. My salesman told me it was FWD unless torque was needed, like slipping in snow. I already knew this as everything I've read on line from Honda says this is how the Real Time AWD works for Honda CRV. I even called another local dealership and talked to the Advisor in the Service Center who said he had no idea how it worked and a Salesman would know more than Service ???? Can someone confirm for me that the AWD should NOT be AWD all the time? If it is, then what is the point in having the Torque View as it will just show AWD all the time. But that's wrong, it's FWD unless torque is needed in back. So, this would mean my Torque View is not working as it shows AWD 100% of the time.

Attachments

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1. Not normal
2. the crv camera is ok, its the way the headunit processes the data that is wonky.
our 14 rdx camera was amazing, 15 mdx was decent and crv is ok but on clear days its above average.
3. Its fwd unless it senses slipping and engages rear, dont take thise graphics literally its more for decoration imo then functionality.. flip it onto the mog and call it a day!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Not normal
2. the crv camera is ok, its the way the headunit processes the data that is wonky.
our 14 rdx camera was amazing, 15 mdx was decent and crv is ok but on clear days its above average.
3. Its fwd unless it senses slipping and engages rear, dont take thise graphics literally its more for decoration imo then functionality.. flip it onto the mog and call it a day!
Thanks. 1 and 2....what I thought, just wanted more confirmation. I don't like being lied to by the Dealer over issues. I thought the Torque View could have been cool as typically, even in snow, you aren't sure if/when the vehicle kicks into AWD. I live on a steep hill and was anxious to see if it showed it correctly as I started to slide, but then noticed it always showed it....heheheh. I plan to take my CRV in to the Dealer and compare it to another one for the camera. May just be how it is for Honda.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you should pop into the next closest dealer with the same probs and see what they say & if they fix the issues throw forst dealer under the bus with honda
Well, funny you mentioned that. I called the other Honda dealer about an hour away. I talked to the Service Center and they said they assumed that AWD meant it was in AWD 100% of the time and to talk to a Sales Person who would know better as they are trained on all the features. After that response, I didn't waste my breath on the Headlights. LOL Mental note, never take my car to that dealership. I thought about calling another dealer over an hour away in the other direction and decided to have a case created through Honda Customer Service regarding the Headlights and an explanation of the AWD (which I already know). I don't like the idea that I was sort of forced to pay a premium for a bunch of gadgets I don't care to have, to learn they don't even function properly (The Torque Graphic). After purchasing, I personally thought that would be a great feature so I would know when it kicked into AWD. I've owned AWD vehicles forever, and sometimes you wonder if it's really AWD since there was nothing to tell you it kicked in.

I have a 2014 Subaru Legacy that is the worst AWD I've ever owned. My two older Legacy cars were tanks. No need to wonder if I was ever in AWD. But with the 2014, it is minimally better than my 2007 honda civic going up my steep hill. My previous subarus never slipped. My 2003 CRV never slipped. My Kia Sorento slipped a bit. My 2014 Legacy fishtails the entire way up and not sure I can make it. ONce it was really close. So I would LOVE to know when AWD is really working

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
I'm thinking that your back-up camera has condensation in it as well. Do you live in a humid environment? I had a Dodge truck that had condensation form inside of one of the headlights and it was replaced via warranty. I have seen many after market headlights fog up, though.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
True on older CRVs I believe ... NOT TRUE on gen5 CRVs.

When you accelerate from a stop.. all 4 wheels will have torque on them. the back ones, typically ~50% of the front (per the torque readout on the instrument cluster.

When you are at cruising speed, there is still some torque on the rear wheels, but it's more like 20% of what the front wheels are delivering.

I routinely put my instrument panel display setting to show wheel torque and I can in fact confirm this from first hand observation.

Super Moderator
1. Not normal
Actually, the headlights on gen5 CRVs are NOT sealed units. As such.. they can accumulate some moisture on the inside of the front plastic.. depending on the environment. When it ocurrs, it typically will disappate when the headlights are on and the inside of the headlight assembly warms some.... AND the reverse can also be true. This is true for both the LED versions and the non-LED versions.

Think about it.. the inside of the nonsealed headlamp assembly changes temperature when headlights are off vs on. If the environment is wet outside (rain, high humidity, etc) you can in fact create the pictured condensation once the headlight assembly cools down IF there is some water vapor inside. It will typically condense on the coldest part of the assembly.. which would be the thin plastic front face as it is exposed directly to outside temperatures.

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Actually, the headlights on gen5 CRVs are NOT sealed units. As such.. they can accumulate some moisture on the inside of the front plastic.. depending on the environment. When it ocurrs, it typically will disappate when the headlights are on and the inside of the headlight assembly warms some.... AND the reverse can also be true. This is true for both the LED versions and the non-LED versions.

Think about it.. the inside of the nonsealed headlamp assembly changes temperature when headlights are off vs on. If the environment is wet outside (rain, high humidity, etc) you can in fact create the pictured condensation once the headlight assembly cools down IF there is some water vapor inside. It will typically condense on the coldest part of the assembly.. which would be the thin plastic front face as it is exposed directly to outside temperatures.
i had halogens on my 2017 and retrofitted touring led housings Now
have never had any condensation in 100+ or below zero Temps

Super Moderator
tbackbradley.... for the rear camera... check and make sure the lens is clean. It should be considering how new the vehicle is, and the dealer should have checked that as well.

My wife complained one day that her Accord rear view camera was all blurry and foggy looking.. and when I went out and checked it.. it had visible signs of road grime all over the lens. I cleaned it.. and it was back to normal. If you have checked and cleaned the lens and it still looks bad.. then it could be a defective lens or camera.

That said.. it is NOT the most high fidelity of cameras.. so don't expect HD quality from it.

Super Moderator
i had halogens on my 2017 and retrofitted touring led housings Now
have never had any condensation in 100+ or below zero Temps
I understand. I never have either. But the fact remains.. the headlights are NOT sealed units. As such.. certainly you can understand how they may develop some condensation inside under the right environmental circumstances. :) This has been discussed a number of times in recent months on the forum here... and in every case.. the owner takes it into the dealer, and the dealer checks for a defect and then informs the owner that some condensation inside is normal.

Now.. before someone says.. "hey Honda.. seal the headlights". Um.. no.. be careful what you wish for. That would be a bad idea as the thermal ranges a vehicle goes through in different environments could mean that pressure could develop inside and that could cause the front plastic surface to crack due to persistent pressure buildup. I would expect sealed units would in fact crack over time in hot environments like say... summer in Arizona.

These new headlights in modern cars are not like the sealed glass headlights of the old days.

Registered
The backup camera on my wife's 18' Touring is not nearly as good as my 15' Jeep GC. Its a small image and its much grainier than my Jeep.

I tend to agree with William that there is some torque to the rear wheels even when just cruising flat ground.

Registered
True on older CRVs I believe ... NOT TRUE on gen5 CRVs.

When you accelerate from a stop.. all 4 wheels will have torque on them.
Actually, BoostedV is correct.
While Honda has switched to just calling it AWD in most places, on the website and in the owners manual they still refer to it as Real Time AWD.

Website
https://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v#features-technology and then click Performance

Performance
Real Time AWD
Real Time all-wheel-drive helps make the CR-V an incredibly capable SUV-one that delivers responsive performance in adverse road conditions.
2018 Honda CR-V US Owners Manual, Page 517, makes it clear that it's front-wheel-drive until there is a loss of traction on the front wheels:

Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control SystemTM*
When the system senses a loss of front wheel traction, it automatically transfers
some power to the rear wheels. This allows you to utilize all available traction and
may increase mobility.

You still need to exercise the same care when accelerating, steering, and braking
that you would in a two wheel drive vehicle.

If you excessively spin all four wheels and overheat the AWD system, only the front
wheels receive power. Stop until the system cools down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm a little confused as to why Honda would make an unsealed headlight that would allow condensation. I've never owned a vehicle to do this. Looking at a nice clean vehicle in the driveway, with nasty spots all over the inside of the headlight assembly is not what I consider acceptable. Not the end of the world or anything, but ~$30K for a vehicle, I don't expect condensation on the inside. I live on the East Coast. We are beginning to have colder temps and the air is much drier than in the Summer time.

Regarding the backup camera, I have cleaned the lens off with a microfiber towel. First thing I tried. Also not the not the end of the world, I just expected a crisper looking video on a 2019 Honda.

I'll report back what Honda Customer Service says officially about the Headlights and AWD.

Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
We have a 2019 HR-V and a 2017 CR-V. The CR-V backup camera seemed fine, the first one we have had. Then we got the HR-V with a much better camera. I hope this means future Hondas will have better imaging.
Here are pictures of them both. Both lenses had been cleaned. CR-V is 2 years older, but has been garaged, camera not abused, etc. The CR-V image may suffer a bit from the sun glare, but there is a marked difference in clarity.

Registered
1. Not Abnormal around here. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.
2. The backup camera does suck. I drive the CRV every day and my new Forester every day. Forester is way clearer. Better camera and better screen resolution
3. Normal.

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
We have a 2019 HR-V and a 2017 CR-V. The CR-V backup camera seemed fine, the first one we have had. Then we got the HR-V with a much better camera. I hope this means future Hondas will have better imaging.
Here are pictures of them both. Both lenses had been cleaned. CR-V is 2 years older, but has been garaged, camera not abused, etc. The CR-V image may suffer a bit from the sun glare, but there is a marked difference in clarity.

View attachment 136800 View attachment 136801
My '19 CRV is somewhere between the two here but certainly not crystal clear. The back up camera is there to display obstacles only. Don't use it to back up your vehicle.

Registered
Having moisture in your LED lights is not normal. I have a 17V and live on the wet coast. Lots of rain and fog at times. The head lights are as clear as the day I bought it. Those lights are VERY expensive, I can see a reluctance for Honda to not want to replace them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts