Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the factory air filter with a K&N air filter. K&N states it will not void the warranty of the vehicle. But, just to make sure. I called 2 local Honda dealership. And spoke to a service rep. And they both said it will void warranty of the vehicle. So will it really void the warranty? Or is Honda yanking my chain?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if I'd take the chance on a new car. The K&N is generally a higher performing filter than the Honda one. It'll filter the air fine but it'll also increase the engines ability to take in more air. It shouldn't need a new map unless you change the exhaust but I'm not sure how the engine management system works on the Honda.
Maybe their thinking is that potentially the car could run leaner but in my honest opinion it would be fine. Still wouldn't change it until it was out of warranty. What are your reasons for wanting to swap it out ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I find it hard to believe that anything as innocuous as an air filter would void a warranty. Personally, I think it's overkill, but I have no actual knowledge of how a replacement filter would affect a warranty. I just put a Beck-Arnley air filter in mine. Look at the large number of folks who use replacement oil, oil filters etc etc. w/o anything negative regarding the warranty. Craig

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might gain 1 or 2 HP at wide-open throttle on a cold day if you're lucky. You won't gain any significant fuel economy improvement, either. Any perceived improvement will be psychological.

It is true that a K&N filter is less restrictive than the OEM filter, but without major modifications to your engine that would require less restriction, there's no benefit.

No warranty will be voided simply by installing or using a K&N filter. However, any damage that is caused by the installation or use of a K&N filter will not be covered.

The two risks associated with using a K&N filter are:

1) It allows more air flow than the OEM filter by compromising its filtering ability which will result in increased engine wear. Although the effects may not appear until later in the engine's life.
2) The oil used in the filter travels through the intake system where it can ruin MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors and coat the back sides of intake valves resulting in carbon buildup. The latter is even more of a concern if you have a engine that uses only direct injection such as yours. There's no fuel to keep the backside of the intake valves clean.

Basically, it's a waste of money to install a K&N filter on a CR-V and virtually every other passenger vehicle. If Honda could get more power and fuel economy without sacrificing durability or reliability simply by using a K&N (or other "magic") filter, they would have already done so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had 2 other vehicle both with K&N air filters installed. And I can tell you I get on average 2-3 mpg extra. I can care less about how many horsepower I get. But, nothing psychological about reading a number on your dash and doing a comparison and seeing a difference. 2008 stock Subaru Legacy 2.5i bought brand new in 2009. Best I got out of a full tank was around 290 miles. Now I don't fill up till 310-315. 1998 Honda CR-V LX bought brand new. I would barely break 300 miles on a full tank. Now i get close to 320 on a full tank. I've used K&N filters for most of my vehicles that I have owned. And I have alway seen some sort of improvement. Even if it is a few miles extra a gallon.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have had 2 other vehicle both with K&N air filters installed. And I can tell you I get on average 2-3 mpg extra. I can care less about how many horsepower I get. But, nothing psychological about reading a number on your dash and doing a comparison and seeing a difference. 2008 stock Subaru Legacy 2.5i bought brand new in 2009. Best I got out of a full tank was around 290 miles. Now I don't fill up till 310-315. 1998 Honda CR-V LX bought brand new. I would barely break 300 miles on a full tank. Now i get close to 320 on a full tank. I've used K&N filters for most of my vehicles that I have owned. And I have alway seen some sort of improvement. Even if it is a few miles extra a gallon.
So all the effort Honda and other manufacturers expend to lighten bodies, design new transmissions (CVTs, 8-9 speed automatics, DCTs), employ direct fuel injection and turbocharging, improving aerodynamics kand the like, each of which may net a fraction of a mile per gallon is really wasted? They could have the same benefit by installing K&N air filters? Gee, what dopes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry you don't agree with me. But, oh well move along if you can't even answer the question. What's $55 anyway if I can buy a brand new $30,000+ vehicle.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sorry you don't agree with me. But, oh well move along if you can't even answer the question. What's $55 anyway if I can buy a brand new $30,000+ vehicle.
Question was already answered: little if any benefit and significant warranty downside potential.

My point to other readers is that automakers are tearing their hair out and spending billions to meet fuel economy standards. If a simple air filter swap were truly beneficial and didn't adversely affect durability they'd adopt it in a heartbeat. An awful lot of factors affect fuel economy: gas quality, wind, temperature, traffic, road conditions, driving style, tire pressure, a/c use, etc.; the consequences of any change can only be calculated in a controlled environment that only large companies.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The issue is not whether we agree or disagree, it's really about risk/reward. You appear to be more concerned about saving $1 or so/tank than potentially damaging a VERY expensive engine. No need to cram your "wonderful" results down our throats. Most here would sacrifice a mile or two/gallon with the hoped-for engine longevity proper filtering should provide. You apparently can afford to go against the grain to prove a point - maybe you should just throw the filter element away and take off the cat. converter as well. I'm guessing you could jack up those numbers a couple more !! Good luck, I'll pass on K & N products. (BTW, don't use their oil filters either. It's been well documented that they leak - an oil slick on the undercarriage will decrease your mileage and we wouldn't want that now, would we). Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
750 Posts
My point to other readers is that automakers are tearing their hair out and spending billions to meet fuel economy standards. If a simple air filter swap were truly beneficial and didn't adversely affect durability they'd adopt it in a heartbeat. An awful lot of factors affect fuel economy: gas quality, wind, temperature, traffic, road conditions, driving style, tire pressure, a/c use, etc.; the consequences of any change can only be calculated in a controlled environment that only large companies.
Well written. That makes sense.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Simple put they can't void your warranty over the kind of Air Filter you use. Look up the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, which states in simple terms unless they provide it for free they cant tell you what kind of air filter to use or Oil filter or what brand of oil,ect.
joe

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
With a computer controlled air/fuel mixture and advance, even a fairly dirty regular air cleaner will not really hurt your mileage but it will somewhat affect your HP when you really push it, since it is now more air restrictive than when new. The K&N also become more restrictive as it loads up on dirt, and the K&N doesn't hold as much as most OEMs.
Otherwise, I really doubt you could tell the difference between a fairly dirty air filter and no air filter for mpg during normal driving. Under full throttle, yes, there would most likely be a HP difference.
Perhaps you installed the K&N in your previous two vehicles before they were totally broken in.
If you read independent studies on the efficiency of a just serviced K&N filter and most standard filters , you will notice more air flow at a given pressure, but, after around 10k miles, the standard will allow more air flow at a given pressure.
Also, the K&N filtering efficiency is fairly poor at the smaller micron dirt level compared to the OEM or other standard 'paper-type' air filters.
One ref: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
There are other independent studies on engine air filters.
Still, if you somehow get 2-3 extra mpg, that is a good deal. How you get that by just changing the air filter ,( and nothing else, including driving style) is way beyond me. I might try a K&N air filter for two tanks of gas if someone gave it to me (for testing purposes only), but the lack of excellent filtration would not be worth it in my opinion.
But, as others stated, it will not affect your warranty, as far as I have read.
If you improperly clean and/or oil your K&N, then it may.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
With modern electronic controls, the air filter won't make any or very little difference since the computer adjusts the mixtures. How many air filters will the cost of a K & N filter buy? Probably for many years if you shop wisely. The filter will not void the warranty but it might well decrease the life of the engine. If an engine starts using oil at 150,000 miles when it could have gone 250,000 miles, you will never know. 99% of the snake oil solutions to improve performance or fuel mileage do no good and the other 1% is fake.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Looking to replace the factory air filter with a K&N air filter. K&N states it will not void the warranty of the vehicle. But, just to make sure. I called 2 local Honda dealership. And spoke to a service rep. And they both said it will void warranty of the vehicle. So will it really void the warranty? Or is Honda yanking my chain?
Of course it will not in and of itself void the vehicle warranty. The warranty covers everything on the vehicle.. bumper to bumper.

That said.... air flow DOES matter in these modern engines, and anything that in any way moves airflow out of Honda spec.... could be construed by Honda as cause to refuse warranty service on an engine issue while under warranty.

Keep in mind.. there are many moving parts in the engine combustion formula for these modern engines, and air flow IS one of them, and Honda could choose to make an issue over it. Which is why you got very conservative answers from the Honda dealerships.. because their job is to help you keep your vehicle in proper running condition... and as such.. they generally frown on any modifications to the engines of Hondas. It is also not beyond possibility that something that changes air flow characteristics, or quality of the air being pulled in.... could in some way exacerbate the fact that this engine has had some issues with abnormal oil dilution for some owners.

So the question becomes.. why take the risk? As others have noted... it's not like you are going to get some great benefit from what you want to do.. so.. why take the risk of putting yourself in a pissing match between you and Honda IF you need engine warranty service???? If you have a compelling reason to take the risk.. go for it. But the question remains.. what is that compelling reason?? My personal view is never do anything that gives a dealer or a manufacturer room to take issue over a warranty claim.

In reality.. I think you already know and understand everything I wrote above.. because you actually took the time to call multiple dealers to confirm if what K&N stated is true or not. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
With a computer controlled air/fuel mixture and advance, even a fairly dirty regular air cleaner will not really hurt your mileage but it will somewhat affect your HP when you really push it, since it is now more air restrictive than when new. The K&N also become more restrictive as it loads up on dirt, and the K&N doesn't hold as much as most OEMs.
Otherwise, I really doubt you could tell the difference between a fairly dirty air filter and no air filter for mpg during normal driving. Under full throttle, yes, there would most likely be a HP difference.
Perhaps you installed the K&N in your previous two vehicles before they were totally broken in.
If you read independent studies on the efficiency of a just serviced K&N filter and most standard filters , you will notice more air flow at a given pressure, but, after around 10k miles, the standard will allow more air flow at a given pressure.
Also, the K&N filtering efficiency is fairly poor at the smaller micron dirt level compared to the OEM or other standard 'paper-type' air filters.
One ref: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
There are other independent studies on engine air filters.
Still, if you somehow get 2-3 extra mpg, that is a good deal. How you get that by just changing the air filter ,( and nothing else, including driving style) is way beyond me. I might try a K&N air filter for two tanks of gas if someone gave it to me (for testing purposes only), but the lack of excellent filtration would not be worth it in my opinion.
But, as others stated, it will not affect your warranty, as far as I have read.
If you improperly clean and/or oil your K&N, then it may.
Buffalo4
2-3 mpg, sorry not buying it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a K&N air filter in my 2019 1.5L CR-V. Gas mileage has increased 1.5 to 2 MPG.

My daily commute is 64 miles one way. The ACC is set to 71 or 73 MPH.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the interest of having a fair test, I'll reinstall an official Honda paper filter and see if my mileage drops.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts