Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but, I just put a K&N in my 2010 EXL a couple of months ago. A little more and gas mileage went up 3 MPG. Helps a lot with freeway driving.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've never used one before. But I've read you can take it out and wash it instead of having to replace it. Anybody put one in a 2012 yet? I drive down a gravel road every week day in the morning so I know my filter is getting pretty dirty.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The K & N filters are Great! You can (and should) take them out every 30K miles or so and wash/ re-oil them. They make claims of gains of 10 15 HP but I call false on those as it probably more like 3-5 HP and slight gains in MPG of around 2-3. Funny thing is; the re-usable air filters are not new Technology at all. Back in the 40's cars had re-usable air filters normally. If it's a true increase you are looking to gain; a cold air intake is what is needed but....... It's not that simple. Cold air intake kits mean the Engine breathes better but then what needs to be done is an exhaust upgrade. You can't just pack in more air without making it easier to exit as well. Then, things get interesting with current cars using ECU's. The car's brain will actually fight the air intake and upgraded exhaust (in most cases) and you will see a DECREASE in HP and MPG. To combat this; a DYNO is needed along with a newly programmed chip based on the changes made.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't buy all the mileage gains.
If a simple drop in K&N filter can increase mileage,every auto manufacturer would have on installed in every vehicle.
Auto manufacturers have a hard time meeting their yearly CAFE numbers.Why isn't K&N type air filter in every vehicle?

Bought into the hype years ago with a Expedition I owned and all I got was more engine noise.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've never used one before. But I've read you can take it out and wash it instead of having to replace it.
Performance/mileage gains with K&N filters are highly debatable, but it's reusablity is its undeniable advantage over stock filters. I had a K&N air filter in my old Ford Ranger for 12 years.

However, cleaning/reoiling a K&N is a VERY messy and time consuming job. You have to spray on the detergent, let it set, rinse under sink, where the dirt messes up your sink. Then you have to let it completely air dry (takes several hours). Then when reoiling (oil is sprayed on), you have to be extremely careful. Too little...not enough filtering. Too much...the excess oil vaporizes and can foul up the mass airflow sensor and make your engine run roughly.

All this just to gain 2-3 extra horsepower (at best). No thanks, I'll pass on it this time. However, you do save some money in not having to buy new filters. I only drive 10k miles a year, so that would no effect me that much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a little old...
But, the K&N after cleaning is no where near as efficient as when new.
So it may be cheaper in the long run because of the fact it's reusable, BUT it's not a performance filter after cleaning LOL
There are some companies that make "dry" performance air filters but they are only good for the typical filter miles.

KO

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't buy all the mileage gains.
If a simple drop in K&N filter can increase mileage,every auto manufacturer would have on installed in every vehicle.
Auto manufacturers have a hard time meeting their yearly CAFE numbers.Why isn't K&N type air filter in every vehicle?

Bought into the hype years ago with a Expedition I owned and all I got was more engine noise.
If folks buy in or not, I can compute my MPG's on my car. It's a fact that my CRV got 24 mpg before using the K&N filter, and now gets 26+MPG with the filter consistently. :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Buy a high quality pleated filter. Any permanent filter is going to be less efficient at trapping dirt particulates. Dirt in engine = bad things.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your old filter must have been really dirty then. K&N's are a waste of money in a CRV. You only get the minor horsepower gain at high rpms, not in the normal driving range.
Actually the original paper filter only had a small black spot on it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Your old filter must have been really dirty then. K&N's are a waste of money in a CRV. You only get the minor horsepower gain at high rpms, not in the normal driving range.
True,a minimal gain is at over 5K RPM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My filter box seems to get dirty and so the filter gets dirty faster than it should in my opinion. Does anyone else notice the dirt in there box if you own a 1997 us model. I am useing a fram stock replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A K&N can only do so much folks. You have to open up the tail end of the vehicle to get the air through effeciently. Headers are great, but many times this addition will send off a check engine light because they eliminate one of the converters. Not a good idea. I have a DC Sports intake, Magnaflow muffler and a G Force module. I am getting about 3 mpg more and the acceleration is improved, but we have to remember that these are not drag vehicles.There is no dead spots all the way to redline. I have been very happy with the improvements for about $310 US Dollars. Short of forced induction I think these are good add ons if for nothing but fuel economy and response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So whats happening is these so called HIGH PERFORMANCE air filter companies get into these discussion boards talking about how great their products are. The claim about increase horsepower and MPG is ONLY if you are driving with a 5 year old air filter with all sort of junk in it then you replace it with one of these wonderful high performance filters. But in reality, they do the SAME job as a regular $15 filter. Only difference is that you can wash and reuse. Who the hell wants to wash and reuse? for $15, just toss that damn thing and get a new one and MAGIC. the new filter works better the the dirty one? wow. truly amazing.

I used to believe in the marketing hype. Put K&N into my 3000GT, did nothing. Then when I got a 4Runner, also replace with K&N. Did nothing and the MPG still sucks eggs. So now with the CRV, finally wised up and just change the air filter frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts