Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the owner of CRV 2002 EX-AM, 2.4L 2nd gen.
The original engine (K24Z1) is getting old and
I'm thinking on exchanging it with a newer unit.

The question is whether there is possibility of
changing engine to a newer generation Honda CRV 2.4 L
engines like K24Z4 (2208-2012), K24Z6 (2010-2011),
or K24Z7 (2012-2015)

.... or the fresher K24Z1 is the only option for me?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Why would you do an engine swap? Are you having problems with the current engine? How many miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ... 180k, higher oil burning, lower mpg, vtech problems, engiine rebuild reccomended slightly by technician. So engine exchange is an option as well, but there is no many good engines from the second gen 2002-2006 cars. Swaping to a newer engine seems to be a better possibility.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
There are less engines available because they are relatively reliable.

A newer engine might require a new wiring harness and ECU, and still might give you headaches because the sensors are different. Even the 2005 - 06 engines use TBW (throttle By Wire)...

++++++++++++

How much oil is your present engine using?

Have you replaced the VTEC actuator (common issue on early K engines)?

Do you have results of a compression and leakdown tests?

Have you tried an oil flush regimen (like Marvel Mystery Oil, Auto-RX, Seafoam, or others)? Look on BobIsTheOilGuy.com to see what others are using these days.

Heck, a few full-throttle high-rpm runs might help too! Honda engines are designed to REV and they need occasional exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advises I will definitely try some of them especially that vtech is switching on the engine light with higher rpm above 4500. Will let you know later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts